Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

^Really how do you want her to look?

I pretty much hate her new costume. If they were to go with something like that I would be disappointed.

Me neither. Some variation on the new costume with an eye towards her original. Giving her a black bodysuit and standing her in a team next to Black Widow would be a mistake, aesthetically.

Yeah one of these would have been better.

2zh3aec.jpg

Me neither. Some variation on the new costume with an eye towards her original. Giving her a black bodysuit and standing her in a team next to Black Widow would be a mistake, aesthetically.

I think the easiest answer is to adapt Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell's) classic costume, and put it on a woman without any objectifying modifications.

Or they can just use her current suit, it's visually different, looks cool, and is a nod to both her military heritage and the Kree. She should NOT use Mar-Vell's old costume, I don't want everything about her to be tied to a MALE character, it reduces her and she should be her own person.

Or they can just use her current suit, it's visually different, looks cool, and is a nod to both her military heritage and the Kree. She should NOT use Mar-Vell's old costume, I don't want everything about her to be tied to a MALE character, it reduces her and she should be her own person.

The great part about Carol is that she has multiple costumes. Two in red, two in black and the current in yellow. It would be really cool to rotate them with each appearance.

I NEVER want to see the black swimsuit costume complete with hooker boots, I've always disliked it. None of the other characters rotate costumes (except IM), just pick one a stick with it, her current CM one works best.

I NEVER want to see the black swimsuit costume complete with hooker boots, I've always disliked it. None of the other characters rotate costumes (except IM), just pick one a stick with it, her current CM one works best.

I'd say her black "hooker boots" costume is the closest she has to an iconic look.

I'd say her black "hooker boots" costume is the closest she has to an iconic look.
I don't care if it's "iconic" or not, I hate the word btw, than you DC New 52. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" does not mean that it works today.

I don't care if it's "iconic" or not, I hate the word btw, than you DC New 52. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" does not mean that it works today.

I've never understood the outrage about superheroes showing leg. You'd think this was 1878, judging by the prevailing attitudes on here.

I've never understood the outrage about superheroes showing leg. You'd think this was 1878, judging by the prevailing attitudes on here.

The issue at hand is that it would be a woman who would be sexualized; the claims would be not so heated if the men were as revealing as well.

The issue at hand is that it would be a woman who would be sexualized; the claims would be not so heated if the men were as revealing as well.

What, Hugh Jackman, RDJ, the Chrises, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Christian Bale, Henry Cavill, and even Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo don't show skin? That's news to me. :abom:

What, Hugh Jackman, RDJ, the Chrises, Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Christian Bale, Henry Cavill, and even Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo don't show skin? That's news to me. :abom:

There is a difference between having a shirtless shot and being in a skimpy costume.

Yeah they take off their shirts for maybe two or three scenes in a movie. They don't run around in a bananahammock for 2 hours

(That's Namor's thing :oldrazz:)

There is a rather large difference between an otherwise strong character being sexualized at certain moments in a film and a character who is sexualized for an entire film

Keep in mind, I watched Pro-Wrestling obsessively for much of my existence, so maybe the part of me brain that is supposed to see people in swimming attire fighting as sexual is completely dead.

msmarvel.png

That doesn't look like a ****, a ****e, a bimbo, a prostitute, or a dominatrix to me. That looks like a Superhero.

talisa-soto.jpg

Giving her a Talisa Sotto/ Princess Kitana treatment isn't righting a wrong to me, it's just creating another visually uninspiring film character.

In my defense, I was also a proponent for leg mail in Thor vs. a pair of generic leather pants. I think adding black bottoms to everything looks incredibly drab.

Last edited:

No kidding.:funny:

I never get the arguments.I'm about as conservative as they come.If there was something indecent about Ms Marvel or Wonder Woman's costumes,I'd be the first to point the finger.

Unless the Hype exists in a time warp or there is a huge Amash contingent here,this shouldn't even be debatable.

The female superheroes are only dressed the way they are in comics because they're female, and the comic industry has always catered to a largely young male demo

These films are for a larger audience. It's not that the costumes are indecent, it's that they're sexualized in a way the male costumes are not. You're taking something that's catered to a specific demo and adapting it for a larger audience. And the larger audience is aware that it's idiotic to have Thor and Captain America running around in full-body outfits and the female character in a onepiece bathing suit and stripper boots

^Exactly even the men's costumes are less form fitting so you don't see VPL. there's suspension of disbelief and just craziness.

The female superheroes are only dressed the way they are in comics because they're female, and the comic industry has always catered to a largely young male demo

These films are for a larger audience. It's not that the costumes are indecent, it's that they're sexualized in a way the male costumes are not. You're taking something that's catered to a specific demo and adapting it for a larger audience. And the larger audience is aware that it's idiotic to have Thor and Captain America running around in full-body outfits and the female character in a onepiece bathing suit and stripper boots

Thor and Captain America shouldn't be running around in Viking apparel or a spangly costume either. The whole premise of the superhero is flawed. Penalizing Ms. Marvel alone for this is priggish.

I think the easiest answer is to adapt Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell's) classic costume, and put it on a woman without any objectifying modifications.

Hmmm...

I guess I'm a bit of a pig, but I do want some sexualization, about on the level that Black Widow received with her skintight outfit from the comics, but minus the butt shots. I think, especially in Carol's case, it helps set her and her costume apart from Widows and others if she has the same sort of hotpants thing Wonder Woman has nowadays... it is athletic and calls back to her original costume as well without being, y'know, a bikini. Is it because she's a woman? Yeah, it is. Is it oversexualized? I wouldn't say so, unless any sexualization of female characters is bad, and I'm not sure that it is. In that case, we need to cover up Sif's arms and get rid of those thigh-highs.

Maybe that's my question: where do we draw the line between female fashion and not giving her anything we wouldn't give a male? And does trying to avoid giving her the same silhouette as Black Widow play into it?

Thor and Captain America shouldn't be running around in Viking apparel or a spangly costume either. The whole premise of the superhero is flawed. Penalizing Ms. Marvel alone for this is priggish.
It's not penalizing her to let her wear pants while she's knocking over buildings fighting supervillains. Your choice of words there is fairly telling; clearly our perspectives here are worlds apart. And I guess we'll just have to leave it at "agree to disagree"

It is taking something away from her: a faithful adaptation of her costume. In that sense, it very much is penalizing her. I think there's a way to update her costume instead of scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch because the original motive is not acceptable. We don't look at the original design motive when adapting other characters costumes, why now?

Is there something unjust about making women dress attractively?

It is taking something away from her: a faithful adaptation of her costume. In that sense, it very much is penalizing her. I think there's a way to update her costume instead of scrapping the whole thing and starting from scratch because the original motive is not acceptable. We don't look at the original design motive when adapting other characters costumes, why now?

Is there something unjust about making women dress attractively?
Because a) the original design motive for a male comic book character's costume usually goes beyond basic titillation
and b) Captain America's costume was adapted from a 2002 redesign, Iron Man's costume was adapted from a 2005 redesign, and Thor's costume was adapted from a 2007 redesign. These comic redesigns were all introduced with practicality and eventual movies in mind.

Carol recently had a similar redesign in the comics, that is what the studio will look to when adapting

It's not penalizing her to let her wear pants while she's knocking over buildings fighting supervillains. Your choice of words there is fairly telling; clearly our perspectives here are worlds apart. And I guess we'll just have to leave it at "agree to disagree"

I think you misinterpreted me. My point was I don't think her costume is any more or any less ridiculous than 90% of superhero costumes. I don't think a woman running around in thigh highs and a swim suit is any more ridiculous than a man running around in a spangly costume with an A on his forehead.
I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

It's ridiculous in an entirely different way. Cap's outfit is goofy but it's rooted in his backstory and origin. Ms. Marvel's outfit is... not. At least the original red/blue suit was evocative of Mar-Vell's look. The lightning bolt suit is nothing. It's just "stick her in a bathing suit and pose her on the cover, we'll sell some comics"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"