Who should play Ms. Marvel if she gets her own film?

The helmet is really what drove the eye sore home.

Carol_Danvers_%28Earth-616%29_fom_Avengers_Endless_Wartime.jpg

That costume is perfect it's just the hair that's the problem. They've changed that now and she looks amazing

That costume is perfect it's just the hair that's the problem. They've changed that now and she looks amazing

She'd look "amazing" in that get-up in 1953. In 2013? Not so much. The helmet/cowlmet/maskmet looks retro-awful, with or without a goofy mohawk sticking out of it.

A little late on this rumor but I think Katee Sackhoff would be just peachy as Ms. Marvel. She appears pretty and tough. She was about the only thing i liked about Battlestar Galactica.

And I don't think the film equivalent of her costume yet exists in comics. At least not what I would picture. It can have ties to either the black costume or the red/blue starburst costume. But drastic changes would need to be done imo.

She'd look "amazing" in that get-up in 1953. In 2013? Not so much. The helmet/cowlmet/maskmet looks retro-awful, with or without a goofy mohawk sticking out of it.
No, the costume looks fantastic to me, and it fits her character and military background. I don't get how it looks like it should be in 1953, that makes no sense. It certainly more appropriate than a swimsuit and hooker boots. I would say get rid of the mask, its not needed. She looks good with short hair, so keep that, but let it be free flowing and not up in a fauxhawk.

There's something so generic about that costume that really gets me down about it. It looks like it could belong to any hero, if you hadn't told me it was Miss Marvel I would never have guessed. I know its a take off of the original Captain Marvel's outfit but I never thought much of that one either. The look is just dull and uninteresting to me.

Trying to adapt her black, gold and red (her iconic) suit is a much better avenue to take imo. The Tron designs on the previous page I think made a case that the suit could be made to look more space military while still retaining what works about that outfit.

Last edited:
The new costume sucks. It looks like some college marching band/color guard uniform. All she needs is a baton.

No, the costume looks fantastic to me, and it fits her character and military background. I don't get how it looks like it should be in 1953, that makes no sense. It certainly more appropriate than a swimsuit and hooker boots. I would say get rid of the mask, its not needed. She looks good with short hair, so keep that, but let it be free flowing and not up in a fauxhawk.
It looks way to generic like I could go into a costume shop and they would have had that same thing for years before she ever wore it in the comics.

I still say the best costume idea? Take the suits from Pacific Rim, modify them a bit to say "pilot" more, and then add the sunburst icon as a unit patch or similar. Bam, you have "space pilot uniform" than easily becomes a superhero outfit.

I still say the best costume idea? Take the suits from Pacific Rim, modify them a bit to say "pilot" more, and then add the sunburst icon as a unit patch or similar. Bam, you have "space pilot uniform" than easily becomes a superhero outfit.

That actually is the strongest idea. It fits the story, changes the silhouette, it works.

MovieReviewPacificRim26_zps6e0ade11.jpg

If she were a solo hero in a vacuum without having comparisons or being integrated into other films, I'd say go with the current comics costume, but it really seems like a bad idea to me now.

An artist integrated Monica costume with Mar-Vell's original, the one that makes him stand out as unique and not a generic superhero, the one that's updated in the Ultimate Universe as well as in Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I thought it was interesting:

tumblr_mrju48MQpJ1re8ijgo1_500_zps298f2321.jpg

Last edited:
There's something so generic about that costume that really gets me down about it. It looks like it could belong to any hero, if you hadn't told me it was Miss Marvel I would never have guessed. I know its a take off of the original Captain Marvel's outfit but I never thought much of that one either. The look is just dull and uninteresting to me.

Trying to adapt her black, gold and red (her iconic) suit is a much better avenue to take imo. The Tron designs on the previous page I think made a case that the suit could be made to look more space military while still retaining what works about that outfit.
How is it generic, I hear that word thrown around, but no one gives specific reasons WHY it's generic? Also, that costumes generic, but one that's simply black and gold isn't, riiight that's not "generic" at all. I hate the "iconic" argument with a passion. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" doesn't mean that it will work in a movie. If the only argument for a particular costume is that "it's iconic" then that argument was weak to begin with. Carol should not be standing alongside Iron Man, Thor, BW, etc wearing a swimsuit and hooker boots, that's not fair to the character.

Well, I was kinda assuming it would be made of different materials considering the helmet would otherwise make it look top-heavy material-wise in real-life. For me, a live-action adaptation of that would look very different from a (fairly cheap-looking, imo) SHIELD body suit. Kinda like this:

tbqm.jpg

Or some other kind of unique, more "alien-like" material.

At any rate, it makes more sense to me for Carol to have a costume reminiscent of theirs than anyone else, since she started out as a military woman like them herself.

I like this a lot, personally.

How is it generic, I hear that word thrown around, but no one gives specific reasons WHY it's generic? Also, that costumes generic, but one that's simply black and gold isn't, riiight that's not "generic" at all. I hate the "iconic" argument with a passion. Just because something is allegedly "iconic" doesn't mean that it will work in a movie. If the only argument for a particular costume is that "it's iconic" then that argument was weak to begin with. Carol should not be standing alongside Iron Man, Thor, BW, etc wearing a swimsuit and hooker boots, that's not fair to the character.

It looks like a second-rate cross between Cap and Bucky with touches of Superman. There's nothing compelling or visually distinctive about it. A good hero costume should stand out even among a crowd of superheroes, this one doesn't do that. Its a costume that screams "hello I am a C-lister at best." On top of all that its a hand-me-down look from Captain Marvel rather than something that represents Carol herself.

And the costume I posted a page back showed no skin save for her face so I don't know where you're getting that I'm arguing for the swimsuit from.

Last edited:

It's generic because:
- Red and Blue Color scheme is common amongst superheroes, most famously Superman, but certainly many others, including Spider-Man and teammate Captain America.
- Skintight bodysuit with big knee high boots and big elbow length gloves is extremely common amongst superheroes.
- In many renditions, the starburst is minimized, downplaying one of the only two unique and potentially iconic elements
- Many superheroes who use this classic silver age silhouette distinguish themselves by a prominent, unique immediately identifiable symbol, or a unique color scheme, or acknowledge the costume is generic in story. The current comics costume does none of these. It desires to create this sort of retroactively iconic look, and that kind of thing works well in comics, but very much sabotages the idea of the character being interesting and unique enough by their own merit to carry a movie.
- The sash is unique, and iconic, but that's it, so the costume overall seems generic
- While her costume may fit in with DC where almost every major superhero wears a recolor of the same skin tight setup, in Marvel, particularly in the MCU where you these four guys, one a hulking monster, the other in metal armor, the other in embellished fantasy armor, a guy with a big shield and oversized comically unused utility belt, a guy with sleeveless who's always holding his bow... and two women in skintight suits? That's why it is generic, because it has so little unique about it, while still having a lot in common with other superheroes, as opposed to having a bold uniqueness in common with Marvel's best characters.
- It also works for the book because the theme of the story is proving that she's a good enough superhero. Since superhero doesn't equate with silver age costumes in the MCU, the costume takes away from the story of the movie instead of complimenting it.
- Keep in mind Mar-Vell's classic costume, for which her current costume is based off of, is also intentionally generic, and every modern adaptation of Mar-Vell bases off of his Green and White original costume, with an armor upgrade.

Is anyone actually arguing for the stripper boots and swimsuit? If so, who, exactly? I think that's just a made up strawman.

Last edited:
Everything DrCosmic said and also who is saying she needs to b in hooker boots? I've shown that I like the "Tron" interpretation of her iconic suit. Literally no one even mentioned it needing to be the swim suit.

It's generic because:
- Red and Blue Color scheme is common amongst superheroes, most famously Superman, but certainly many others, including Spider-Man and teammate Captain America.
- Skintight bodysuit with big knee high boots and big elbow length gloves is extremely common amongst superheroes.
- In many renditions, the starburst is minimized, downplaying one of the only two unique and potentially iconic elements
- Many superheroes who use this classic silver age silhouette distinguish themselves by a prominent, unique immediately identifiable symbol, or a unique color scheme, or acknowledge the costume is generic in story. The current comics costume does none of these. It desires to create this sort of retroactively iconic look, and that kind of thing works well in comics, but very much sabotages the idea of the character being interesting and unique enough by their own merit to carry a movie.
- The sash is unique, and iconic, but that's it, so the costume overall seems generic
- While her costume may fit in with DC where almost every major superhero wears a recolor of the same skin tight setup, in Marvel, particularly in the MCU where you these four guys, one a hulking monster, the other in metal armor, the other in embellished fantasy armor, a guy with a big shield and oversized comically unused utility belt, a guy with sleeveless who's always holding his bow... and two women in skintight suits? That's why it is generic, because it has so little unique about it, while still having a lot in common with other superheroes, as opposed to having a bold uniqueness in common with Marvel's best characters.
- It also works for the book because the theme of the story is proving that she's a good enough superhero. Since superhero doesn't equate with silver age costumes in the MCU, the costume takes away from the story of the movie instead of complimenting it.
- Keep in mind Mar-Vell's classic costume, for which her current costume is based off of, is also intentionally generic, and every modern adaptation of Mar-Vell bases off of his Green and White original costume, with an armor upgrade.

Is anyone actually arguing for the stripper boots and swimsuit? If so, who, exactly? I think that's just a made up strawman.

yn7PadE.gif

Granted,I'm saying go with knee boots,but still,her iconic look can still be done reasonably.

It's less garish than trying to glam up a generic catsuit.

01-sackhoff-kt600-628.jpg

She's got the swagger and presence I associate with Carol and she's shown she's got the chops to pull of a brash cocky pilot on BSG, I'm all for it.

I think if they plan on having Carol float between Avengers, GoTG and Agents of SHIELD, Katee Sackhoff is almost ideal. Yvonne Strahovski would be too, but Katee Sachoff is a solid, solid choice.

I think if they plan on having Carol float between Avengers, GoTG and Agents of SHIELD, Katee Sackhoff is almost ideal. Yvonne Strahovski would be too, but Katee Sachoff is a solid, solid choice.

I'd still love to see a hottie like Yvonne in the role, of course, but Marvel could make something of a positive statement on the age-old issue of sexism in comics by giving the nod to Sackhoff. No offense to Katee or her fans, but she ain't exactly a supermodel. What she *is,* is a believable, strong, kick-ass-and-take-names kind of woman. Ms/Captain Marvel could benefit from being portrayed as caring more about how to win a fight than whether or not her makeup looks good.

Katee is perfect in that she's got that tomboy who can put on a dress and heels and stun feel to her. I always figured Carol was supposed to be that way, even though she's often just drawn as kind of a Barbie.

I've been doing my own redesigns of Capt. Marvel's helmet. But I think this is more of the direction I want to take:

beimage.asmx

Somebody really thinks Yvonne Strahovski should play Ms. Marvel.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD0F9162JDA&feature=youtu.be[/YT]

It looks like a second-rate cross between Cap and Bucky with touches of Superman. There's nothing compelling or visually distinctive about it. A good hero costume should stand out even among a crowd of superheroes, this one doesn't do that. Its a costume that screams "hello I am a C-lister at best." On top of all that its a hand-me-down look from Captain Marvel rather than something that represents Carol herself.

And the costume I posted a page back showed no skin save for her face so I don't know where you're getting that I'm arguing for the swimsuit from.
Really, I think that it's the best costume that she's ever had and it makes her look awesome. A costume that's black and gold is very generic too me, even if you remove the boots, it just looks boring. But you and I are never going to agree on this, so lets just move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"