Who should play Parker/Spidey for the next 3 movies?

Discussion in 'Spider-Man Sequels' started by blind_fury, Jun 28, 2007.

?

Who should play Parker/Spidey for the next 3 movies?

1. Milo Ventimiglia

2. Joseph Gordon-Levitt

3. Jake Gyllanhaal

4. pay whatever Maguire wants (recast SM5)

5. other actor (please specify)

6. Milo Ventimiglia

7. Joseph Gordon-Levitt

8. Jake Gyllanhaal

9. pay whatever Maguire wants (recast SM5)

10. other actor (please specify)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

say now if after 4-5 (which Tobey has signed on for) they want to continue, and he doesn't, instead of having to recast, I was almost thinking, do we even need, Peter Parker

at that point in the series, could the movie sell, without having a "name" attached to it, without a face behind the mask
    just, spider-man, the whole movie ???
    (obviously, you'd still need a voice actor, and stunt men in the suit, but, you know what I mean)

#1251 Spider-Fan83, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

That doesn't seem right to me... a big part of Spidey's appeal is being the reluctant hero, trying to balance his life and the whole "great power, great responsibility" thing. He is a person in real life situations, as well as, fighting psychos in green and purple.

3. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

ya, but, if we've already seen 5 movies of that, I think, people would get the point
    and I am not saying completely ignore Peter, you can still have him in the suit talking about responsibilities he has, and things he has to do as Peter, just don't actually show him

I was more thinking this, especially, if say (as I’ve heard some people suggest) they do it as a, Sinister 6, movie
    that would be a lot of characters to fit in a movie, and still try to fit in all the Peter scenes

4. CFE The never-ending battle

You mean an entire film where Spidey is solely in costume and never reveals his face?

That'll never happen. It's a matter of making sure the audience has a human connection to the hero. That's why characters that have masks or cowls either lose them in translation (Wolverine) or repeatedly have them taken off (Spider-Man, Batman, Daredevil, Iron Man).

To do an entire film WITHOUT the hero's civilian alter-ego just wouldn't work...the audience would feel alienated from the character if they could never see their eyes.

Besides, having the alter-ego adds more depth to the character. How do Batman's actions affect Bruce Wayne...What emotions are going through Peter's head...etc.

5. Rich Santoro Addicted to degeneracy

6. Sebastos le professionnel

So it's confirmed Tobey is returning?

7. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

yes!

8. American_Hobo Registered

But Spiderman seriuosly needs to keep his mask on.
    I dont care if Tobey Maguire wants more screen time of him.
    In Spiderman 3, he was unmasked 3 times out of 5 action scenes.
    This is a serious problem. (Same with Venom, we didnt need to see Venom unmasking himself for like 5 times when he only had 10 minutes of screen time)

9. NewYorkSpider EndGame

The Venom thing really upset me as well. They made it seem like we forgot Eddie Brock was the villian. I don't mind if Spider-Man is unmasked at least once in the movie, but three times is just ridiculous.

10. Sebastos le professionnel

As dumb as it sounds I know. :o

11. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Did you just read CFE's post?

Think about it: What would be more emotional? Think of the finale's in the past three films. Now put the mask on him. It wouldn't work. Especially in SM2. He's trying to get through to a man who's own creation corrupts his mind, Peter as himself has to get through to him, not a mask covering him. Ock wouldn't buy it. Peter needs to be true to what he's saying. so he takes his mask off. A human being to human being has to get through to him, not machine to human being. Another thing Raimi did so well was the machine vs human storyline in the second film. You abandon your past and morals over what you created when there's nothing left.

In SM3 it woulnt' make any sense. His best friend is dying, forgives him so he keeps the mask on. WTF?

#1261 Doctor Jones, Feb 12, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  12. Jick Auxiliary Assistant

Peter unmasking himself or being unmasked too many times is overkill. It is needed on key elements, such as Harry's death, but all the time is unnecessary.
    Take SM3's battle royale, for instance. He just couldn't keep his mask on.

13. MessiahDecoy123 Psychological Anarchist

14. American_Hobo Registered

Like someone said it on the other post, they need to staple-gun Spidey's mask to his neck so he cant take his mask off.

15. VenomVsSpidey Registered

lol. thats guy is a funny actor, but he's no peter parker

16. Jick Auxiliary Assistant

I wouldn't mind Milo or Jake, but I'm fine with Tobey.

17. Sebastos le professionnel

Jake is the only decent choice so far imo.

18. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Me too. Jake's always been my replacement choice. Watch Zodiac, kind of a Peter Parker character there.

19. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Did you read my post? It wouldn't work. When Harry saves him at that monent, and Peter says, "You came." and everything, you can't get to that with the mask on. You can't leave the mask on just for the sake of it. You know how silly it would look if this happened all the time? A stiff mask at the finale talking and coming to terms with the villain? It wouldn't work.

20. Jick Auxiliary Assistant

His mask was torn. We could see his expressions. Better torn mask than no mask at all.
    And what you said in your previous post is about Peter without the mask. You're the one who need to read your own post before you quote.

21. Sebastos le professionnel

Likewise. In fact, Jake would have been a great choice since SM1.

22. Batspider77 "SPOILER JUNKIE"

Tobey was the wrong Man for this Movies from the start,and the same goes for Raimi as the Director.....don´t know why,but Raimi has a neck to leave all the cool stuff that makes Spidey so awsome out of the Movies.

Yes i´m all for a Tobey Replacement and i´m sure that will happen after the next Movie.

23. Infinity9999x Registered

While I'd mostly agree with you, there's one major flaw in that argument.

V For Vendetta. V managed to display a wide range of emotions with no face. He was charismatic, you could tell when he was being playful, happy, coy, sad, even serious, even embarrassed. So it is possible.

However, I don't think Spider-man should ever be in a movie when he never takes of his mask. Peter Parker should be shown as much as Spidey, and also, (something the recent movies haven't shown very well) they should have a discernible difference in personality.

24. VenomVsSpidey Registered

i think tobey is the perfect choice for spiderman.cant really see anyone else except topher...

25. AnorexicBatman Registered

Christian Bale, Aaron Eckhart, Sam Worthington or Chris Pine... NOW CHOOSE!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.