Who should play Shang-Chi and the other characters?

Blast you beat me to it!

I like the idea of casting an unknown to play the lead like marvel usually does and then cast more well known actors for the supporting cast. So I would cast George Zhao as Shang

Shang Chi- Ludi Lin
Leiko Wu- Jamie Chung
Zheng Zu- Donnie Yen
Jack Tarr- Luke Evans
Revanche Kwannon- Zhang Ziyi
Shen Kue "The Cat"- Jon Foo
Brian Braddock/Captain Britain- Dan Stevens

henry-golding-tom-ford-crazy-rich-asians-la-premiere_thumb.png

Henry Golding as Shang Chi

qnZ5Pc.jpg

Jing Tian as Leiko Wu

jimcaviezel.jpg

Jim Caviezel as Jack Tarr

I think that Shang's aesthetic should be very much "Bond-esque". I also think that this movie would be the perfect way to introduce Psylocke, starting to sprinkle in mutants here and there before the X-Men debut full-on. I vote they just combine Revanche and Betsy into a single character. Make her Brian's Asian half-sister and thus get around the more.... questionable parts of her character.

lucy-liu.jpg

Lucy Liu as Revanche "Psylocke" Kwannon

henry-golding-tom-ford-crazy-rich-asians-la-premiere_thumb.png

Henry Golding as Shang Chi

qnZ5Pc.jpg

Jing Tian as Leiko Wu

jimcaviezel.jpg

Jim Caviezel as Jack Tarr

I think that Shang's aesthetic should be very much "Bond-esque". I also think that this movie would be the perfect way to introduce Psylocke, starting to sprinkle in mutants here and there before the X-Men debut full-on. I vote they just combine Revanche and Betsy into a single character. Make her Brian's Asian half-sister and thus get around the more.... questionable parts of her character.

lucy-liu.jpg

Lucy Liu as Revanche "Psylocke" Kwannon

I wouldn't mind

It would cause an uproar among Asians since he is of mixed heritage.

Not sure about an uproar but there would be some backlash. And I don't think it's worth it since to me Henry would be a miscast.

If they want an American or more westernized actor as Shang-Chi then I'd definitely say Harry Shum Jr. and Godfrey Gao are better choices. The latter is less known but he would be my first choice.

Not sure about an uproar but there would be some backlash. And I don't think it's worth it since to me Henry would be a miscast.

If they want an American or more westernized actor as Shang-Chi then I'd definitely say Harry Shum Jr. and Godfrey Gao are better choices. The latter is less known but he would be my first choice.
Shum Jr. just doesn't look the part to me. Gao looks more like how I'd picture Shang, but I'm not familiar with his work. (Also, he actually isn't of Chinese ancestry)

Shum Jr. just doesn't look the part to me. Gao looks more like how I'd picture Shang, but I'm not familiar with his work. (Also, he actually isn't of Chinese ancestry)

Yes, he is. Both his parents are of Chinese ancestry.

He hasn't been in a lot of things but from what I've seen, he is a good actor... charming too. And while he has more of a North American accent, he speaks fluent Mandarin. Seems to me that's exactly the kind of actor Marvel would be looking to cast.

I'm not crazy about Shum Jr. but of all the more popular choices, he is the best option, in my opinion.

(Lead) Shang Chi - Ludi Lin (Power Rangers, Aquaman)

(Love interest) Leiko Wu - Jing Lusi (Crazy Rich Asians, Stan Lee's Lucky Man)

(Father/Villain) Zheng Zu - Andy Lau or Donnie Yen

(Sister/villain) Zheng Boa Yu - Jing Tian (Great Wall, Kong Skull Island, Pacific Rim Uprising)

(Brother/Villain) Midnight Sun - Aldis Hodge (Straight Outta Compton, Hidden Figures)

(comic relief/friend) / Rufus "Super Midnight" Carter - (Deon Cole or Craig Robinson)

Last edited:
Yes, he is. Both his parents are of Chinese ancestry.

He hasn't been in a lot of things but from what I've seen, he is a good actor... charming too. And while he has more of a North American accent, he speaks fluent Mandarin. Seems to me that's exactly the kind of actor Marvel would be looking to cast.

I'm not crazy about Shum Jr. but of all the more popular choices, he is the best option, in my opinion.
That's my bad. Google had him listed as Taiwanese. My main issue is that, at least to me, Shum Jr. has more of a "childish" appearance, rather than the "suave, international man of mystery" I would want from Shang.

Shum jnr just seems to have what marvel love. Athletic, charming, good actor, great sense of humour, easy to work with, on the cusp of Hollywood but not 100% there yet.

He was my fave for iron fist and I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing him as Shang

That's my bad. Google had him listed as Taiwanese. My main issue is that, at least to me, Shum Jr. has more of a "childish" appearance, rather than the "suave, international man of mystery" I would want from Shang.

He is Taiwanese in the sense that he was born in Taiwan but he is of Chinese ancestry.

I agree with you about Shum Jr. but I guess it depends on what Marvel is looking for. He can deliver boyish charm but I'd rather they cast someone who could pull off exactly the character you've described.

I know that Lewis Tan was in Iron Fist...but I dont think that Marvel cares about that.

Here's the thing...and I'm going to go deep on some "maybes" here...

WB was doing a Nightwing movie. I think maybe he was photographed with a bunch of Batman comics or whatever, and then admitted to have met with DC about the role.

Then...WB announced a remake of Enter The Dragon. Why in the world would you remake that? I'll tell you why...because you are preparing a new megastar and you want to give him a lower budgeted film to spread the word about him as an action star. I REALLY think that Enter The Dragon was greenlighted as a vehicle for Tan.

Nightwing hit a roadblock...probably not even getting made. WB has gone silent on Enter The Dragon, as far as I can tell.

All of those maybes tells me that...at least for a time and probably just in my imagination...he was in the mix for the big Hollywood push.

I like Gao more than Shum Jr for Shang-Chi. I could see Marvel going with more of an unknown for this though. Sorta like Hemsworth for Thor situation...Which, Gao kind of is

Do you reckon they could get Jacky Cheung for Shang’s father

Also, I wonder if they’re going to add a Martin freeman type character (like, a token white guy that people who whinge about how they’re not represented for once can have)

I don't know much about the characters right now but I'd like to see Ludi Lin in a role like this than despite already having power rangers

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel reaches out to Jackie Chan, Jet Li or Chow Yun Fat for a role in Shang Chi

Yeah, I'd be surprised if one or two of them wasn't in this movie.

I've seen more people now suggesting that the guy who plays Bruce Lee in the new Tarantino movie (Mike Moh) should play Shang-Chi. Problem is, he's Korean. Tarantino could get away with that kind of questionable casting but Marvel probably shouldn't try it.

Crap, I just came here to suggest Mike Moh as Shang-Chi. Nevermind then

It will be interesting to see what the cast ultimately looks like because so far, all we know is that it will be a predominantly Asian and Asian American cast. I'd have to think Marvel would prioritize hiring Chinese actors but there is the possibility that they won't be so particular. After all, the director himself is half Japanese. Shang-Chi almost certainly has to be played by an actor of Chinese descent, however.

And I have to say, I'm starting to like the idea of Ludi Lin more so than Shum Jr. Though, after watching Gao's most recent movie, I'm even more convinced the role should go to him. He has some real gravitas but knows how to play the lighthearted and vulnerable moments as well.

I like Gao and I could see Marvel going for more of an unknown like him, but I think Ludi Lin would be great. Plus he's a few years younger than Gao

I wouldn't mind either Ludi or Shum Jr. I'm just stuck on Gao. LOL! He reminds me of Evans and Hemsworth, in that, he has the potential to appeal strongly to men and women alike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"