Sequels Who should take over after Webb is done?

Gamma Goliath

Engine of Destruction
Reaction score
Mark Webb has made it pretty clear as of now that he won't be the director of the franchise after he finishes the third installment. So who should take over?

I for one hope Webb changes his mind between now and then. No other director comes to mind that can take up the mantle... it would be mind-blowingly awesome if Raimi came back.

Ehhh we've had raimi already and we have cemented his legacy already. It wouldn't seem right for him to come back especially for this new franchise. I'm under the impression this franchise won't end with Webb and Garfield.
There has to be somebody out there who can take over this franchise and keep making good movies.

but I did hope that webb wouldn't mind fathering this franchise till the end.

I feel like my dream pick at the moment would be a dedicated Robert Zemeckis, one who's willing to sign on and continue the franchise and help it to further grow, Especially if Webb lays good groundwork with these next few installments. But I know thats not likely.

Last edited:
I love Raimi's take on Spider-Man, but it wouldn't fit in the new one. I know he liked TASM, so he might be able to do a movie in that universe.

I think the director should have had experience with Superhero movies, and delt with ground level stories, and good ones at that. Maybe Joss Whedon, Jon Favreau, or Guillermo del Toro would work.

If I like TASM2 and TASM3, and the Venom film turns out well, maybe Kurtzman could direct. Or Drew Goddard.

Jon Favreau did pop into my head as a potential, but it doesn't seem like directors really like to tackle more than one comic franchise. Bryan Singer is the only one to have done so, I think. I guess Zack Snyder too.

Singer coming back to the X-Men after almost 10 years is a promising precedent for Raimi to return, if he's up for it. I know it sounds odd, but consider:

Webb said he would like to stay on board as a consultant. Raimi had ideas for, and the desire to make a Spider-Man 4. So we could have a Dynamic Duo on our hands.

Though that depends on if Amazing 1-3 will be it's own story, with 4 starting a new plot/direction; or if 4 is the grand resolution to the first 3 films. If it's the latter, then Webb should definitely stay on board. If Amazing Spider-Man 4 is the kick off for a new story in 5 and 6, then someone new at the helm wont be as hard a sell. More than a Raimi/Webb team-up I would like to see a CBM team continue past the usual trilogy.

These films continuing in a James Bond style was always going to be the inevitable outcome of them being franchises, and a new cast and creative crew is not necessarily a bad thing in my book.

But its a bit of a catch-22.

They are planting the seeds for a bigger Spider-Man world in film, adding more villains, movies, etc. The pay off will be diminished if when those villains finally face Spider-Man, he's a different actor than who we started the journey with. It'd be best in my opinion to wrap up every dangling thread, before recasting, hiring a new director, and continuing the series; this time without rebooting.

Last edited:
The easter eggs and hints are for the Sinister Six mostly. And no, there won't be a reboot. Not anytime soon.

Why would they bring raimi back to a franchise that is no longer his. Singer going back to xmen is different because that is the same franchise that he started, if this franchise was still the raimiverse then sure, but its not. When it boils down, I don't think raimi would want to return and I don't think they would ask him to return.

I think a lesser known director is what they would go after. Nobody (generally speaking) knew who Marc Webb was before TASM, and he did a great job with it. You can go with a more unknown name as long as they have a great vision and know what they are doing. Personally I don't really care for many of the bigger names, because I would rather see something new and fresh, it would be more exciting than a director who has made several similar kind of movies already. (Singer comes to mind)

Jon Favreau.
I loved Iron Man and Iron Man 2, he definetly could make a great Spidey movie.
Or, who knows? Maybe Andrew comes back for both starring AND directing TASM4, Webb did not have the larger experience before TASM. Anything could happen.

Why would they bring raimi back to a franchise that is no longer his. Singer going back to xmen is different because that is the same franchise that he started, if this franchise was still the raimiverse then sure, but its not. When it boils down, I don't think raimi would want to return and I don't think they would ask him to return.

Not quite, First Class was started without Singer, he came later, and then helped develop the movie more. There are some pretty big differences between First Class and X-Men, where the movies could arguably not be in the same continuity. When Vaughn stepped down, Singer took back the mantle for the sequel, and now we know the movies are in fact tied together. It wasn't his franchise, but it is now.

I didn't say Raimi coming back was likely, just that it'd be cool as hell. He knows the character and can make a great Spider-Man movie, he could easily do another. And he wanted to make another, but at the time they couldn't piece together a quality sequel. I think he would like to take a another shot, if the opportunity presented itself. Maybe Sony wouldn't ask him to, but if he told them he was interested, he'd be in the running at least.

But yeah, they would most likely go for an unknown. If Garfield decides he wants to direct a film that'd be pretty sweet, but I don't think Sony would let Spider-Man be his play thing for a directorial debut.

Are the tentative release dates for S6 and Venom after Amazing 3?

Last edited:
First Class is still the same franchise as Bryan Singer's first two X-Men films.

^this

even though it has plenty of continuity inconsistencies, its still cannon to singers first 2 xmen and ratners x3

We still don't know if Singer returning to X-men we ill take the franchise to new heights.

SM3 indicated Raimi was possibly burned out.

I say give the directors of Rise of the Planet of the Apes or Godzilla a chance. Or the usual suspects: Fincher or Brad Bird.

Brad Bird would be unbelievable. I can't believe I didn't think of that sooner. Still, Matthew Vaughn would be cool also, as would Jon Favreau. Still, I think the best director might be another lesser known director. Someone who has one really good film under their belt, but haven't established themselves enough yet to really be a high in demand talent. Kind of like JJ Abrams after Alias or something. Or a television director could work too.

Also, Neil Marshall or Guillermo del Toro for Venom? Yes?

Since JJ Abrams has often worked with Orci and Kurtzman, I'd like to see him direct a Spider-Man film at some point.

So far the best picks I've heard so far are: Abrams, Bird, Vaughn, Favreau, and my personal pick Zemeckis. All worthy candidates if you ask me.

I'm not a Nolan-ite or anything, and I normally wouldn't suggest this, but would anyone like to see Nolan direct an adaptation of "Kraven's Last Hunt?" That story was so dark and delved deep into the character of Kraven the Hunter, and I think it fits Nolan's style a lot.

EDIT: I know it gets annoying to hear people suggest Nolan for any film, but I think if there was a story he could do well, it would be Kraven's last hunt.

Last edited:
Drew Goddard and Alfonso Cuaron would be my picks, although Cuaron is more than likely an extreme long-shot.

I think Drew Goddard would be more likely, especially now that he is working on the Sinister Six film.

I'm kinda in the same boat. But it was fun to look at anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"