Who thought SM2 was Overrated?

I did like what they did with Dr. Octo. Because on a physical level, I never thought spider-man could legitimately beat him.

"After all these years...it's suddenly clear...I must be a glory hungry fool...or worse."

Being Spider-Man has brought me nothing but unhappiness. IN ORDER TO SATISFY MY CRAVING FOR EXCITEMENT I'VE JEOPARDIZED EVERYTHING THAT REALLY MATTERS."

"CAN I BE SURE MY ONLY MOTIVE WAS THE CONQUEST OF CRIME? OR WAS IT THE HEADY THRILL OF BATTLE...THE PRECIOUS TASTE OF TRIUMPH...THE PARANOIAC THIRST FOR POWER THAT CAN NEVER BE QUENCHED??"

Quotes from the very comic you keep throwing at me, trying to prove me wrong when it only proves my point. I will freely admit the film takes the idea of Peter quitting due to it causing him unhappiness, but the very ideal and reasoning behind it is completely different in the film. Something I personally, did not agree with on a character level.

This seems fairly reasonable to me. Not sure why it's caused such a back-and-forth.

Parker's reasons for quitting in Raimi's film stem from a much simpler, arguably selfish desire for a normal life, whereas the scenario presented in the comic has Peter questioning whether he's done his deeds for the wrong reason.

Out of curiousity, did you prefer Parker's arc in SM3? It is more similar to the comic in some ways than the second film was.

This seems fairly reasonable to me. Not sure why it's caused such a back-and-forth.

Parker's reasons for quitting in Raimi's film stem from a much simpler, arguably selfish desire for a normal life, whereas the scenario presented in the comic has Peter questioning whether he's done his deeds for the wrong reason.

Out of curiousity, did you prefer Parker's arc in SM3? It is more similar to the comic in some ways than the second film was.

Yes and no. I felt Peters elation towards finally getting some recognition was well handled, but once the Symbiote took over it all came crashing down. Not to mention MJ turning into a complete *****.

To answer this threads question: Alex Ross does.

I remember him saying that he thought Spider-Man 2 was "incredibly stupid".

Kinda weird and out of the blue. But like John Byrne, I think he has a very narrow minded vision of what these characters should and should not be.

After I saw Batman Begins, SM2 definitely dropped a notch!

Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite comic book movie of all time, so no... I do NOT think its overrated. If anything, I think the movie is underrated now with movies like The Dark Knight and the Avengers.

Spider-Man 2 is a great movie through and through, but some stuff really bugs me about it.

-Peter losing his powers because he's depressed
-MJ still be annoying as ever
-James Franco before he could act
-Doc Ock being sympathetic

Just a few, for the moment.

James Franco's acting was fine... It's just as good as it is now. I had no problem with Doc Ock being sympathetic either.

I didn't care for MJ all that much, but I didn't find her to be annoying until Spider-Man 3.

Peter losing his powers was interesting. It was more than him just bein depressed. He just couldn't figure out what he wanted, and was still trying to discover himself and who he was. Is he just Peter Parker, or is he Spider-Man? Was the sacrifice worth it?

I still enjoy SM2, however, I only like it because of Doc Ock. He's a great villain. Obviously I don't like the "sympathetic" take on him, but he WAS the movie.

Besides Doc Ock, the rest of the film is pretty dull. Everytime I watch SM2 I only watch the action scenes, and fast forward through everything else.
Peter struggling with work
MJ dating Jameson
Peter losing powers
Raindrops keep falling on my head ughhhh!

Everything is actually pretty boring except the Ock vs Spidey scenes (bank, train, finale)

I started saying I enjoy it but now it seems like I hate it. I haven't watched it in a little while, so maybe I should because thinking about it more makes me think I even like it less now haha wow!

Your signature has it listed as your fourth favorite comic book movie lol.

Your signature has it listed as your fourth favorite comic book movie lol.

Haha I know...it's been a while since I've seen it, so I need to revisit it again. I thought I enjoyed it much more, but after talking about some things, I just kept rambling about what I didn't like. HAHA

I never liked Raimi's trilogy much. The first movie was incredibly pop-corny and predictable and SM3 was what I consider one of the worst ever made in the genre (and no, the fact it had big budget action scenes does not redeem it). But Spider-man 2 was the one that captured the exact tone of the 1960's and 1970's tone of the comics and yet it didn't have to be that naive. Of course you have to deal with Raimi's humor, the stupid violin lady, the stupid usher scene, that hero speech of aunt May and that elevator scene that could have been funny but would never end. But you also had the scene in which Peter confesses aunt May why uncle Ben died, a great villain and the best action I've ever seen in a superhero movie.

To me it's the best Spider-man movie so far.

I still enjoy SM2, however, I only like it because of Doc Ock. He's a great villain. Obviously I don't like the "sympathetic" take on him, but he WAS the movie.

Besides Doc Ock, the rest of the film is pretty dull. Everytime I watch SM2 I only watch the action scenes, and fast forward through everything else.
Peter struggling with work
MJ dating Jameson
Peter losing powers
Raindrops keep falling on my head ughhhh!

Everything is actually pretty boring except the Ock vs Spidey scenes (bank, train, finale)

I started saying I enjoy it but now it seems like I hate it. I haven't watched it in a little while, so maybe I should because thinking about it more makes me think I even like it less now haha wow!

I highly disagree with you, but an opinion is an opinion. Reminds me of how I fast forward through most of TDK just to watch the Joker scenes.

I highly disagree with you, but an opinion is an opinion. Reminds me of how I fast forward through most of TDK just to watch the Joker scenes.

That's fine...I just haven't seen it in some time, so maybe I'm just over-thinking some things. It's weird because when SM2 was released, I was in love with it! Then TASM was released and I fell in love with it and de-graded all the Raimi films. Maybe I'm being too "fanboy-ish".

What I'd like to do is just sit down and watch all four Spidey films again. That way I can clear all this confusion up. Because when it comes with ranking films, it seems like I just compare it to others and it seems like even if I think The Avengers is a better film than The Amazing Spider-Man, I give TASM the edge because I love Spidey more

:doh::huh:

I think the Avengers is fun, but its not that great of a film. Its all spectacle. At least TASM had more heart to it.

I think the Avengers is fun, but its not that great of a film. Its all spectacle. At least TASM had more heart to it.

Yeah you're absolutely correct. I just need to re-watch my "top ten" because over time, films do get better or worse. I've already shuffled them quite a bit over the past year.

My opinions are always changing when it comes to movies. My "top 10" isn't set in stone lol :)

My opinions are always changing when it comes to movies. My "top 10" isn't set in stone lol :)

:up:

BTW, you have 8 of my favorite CBMs in your top ten. So seems like we have close to similar tastes...you see Man of Steel yet? I have not, I'm catching it this weekend. Curious to what you thought.

:up:

BTW, you have 8 of my favorite CBMs in your top ten. So seems like we have close to similar tastes...you see Man of Steel yet? I have not, I'm catching it this weekend. Curious to what you thought.
Haha cool! No, I haven't seen Man of Steel just yet. Planning on seeing it soon though

Having seen Man of Steel, I'll say that's the very reason why Spidey 2 isn't overrated.

Agree with Avengers. The more times I watch it, the more times it just feels like this popcorn spectacle. I thought it had some heart the first time I watched it, but I can't seem to find it anymore, if that makes any sense. Iron Man is still the film with the most heart in the MCU. TAS-M, while definitely the most heart between the two, I think it lost a good amount of it once Lizard popped on the screen and it only became a "hero vs villain" story without any of the good stuff you'd get in a movie like Spider-Man 2. And that's why Spider-Man 2 will never be overrated, imo.

Yah, I didn't even think about this post until typing it down and I brought it back to the topic of this post. ****ing genius, lol.

Spider-Man 2 deserves every ounce of praise that it gets.

Completely agree!!!! %100 Spiderman 2, for me really captured the essence of the comics. Ironically it also came out on my birthday. The movie just felt epic, it had that same intense feeling as the first one, but perfected it. Sam Ramni always had a certain feel to the Spider-man movies (at least 1 and 2), that made it feel for more mature audience, but it sstill had a campy feel to it which was very reminiscant of thhe 60's comics. Without Spiderman 2, I highly doubt The Dark Knight franchise would have ever existed. This is by far the best Spiderman movie to date. I have very high expectations for TASM 2, I loved the first one.:hrt::yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"