Civil War Who were this movies three stars? Best three characters...

Marvel

Sidekick
Reaction score
In your opinion if you had to vote (like after a hockey game) who where the "three stars of the game" so to speak?

For those that don't know the reference here's the Wiki definition...

The three stars in ice hockey are the three best players in a game as chosen by a third party, with the first star considered the best of the three players, akin to the man of the match in other sports. Usually, the top point scorers or outstanding goaltenders are designated the three stars, but other players may be considered by affecting the game by other means (e.g. consistent physical play, many steals, blocked shots, etc.).

My Civil War Three Stars:

1)Captain America
2)Black Widow
3)Ant-Man

Who are yours?

Mine are

1) Scarlet Witch
2) Black Panther
3) Iron Man/Black Widow (Still torn between the 2)

Black Panther and Spider-Man were my two favourites.

Black Panther and Spider-Man not only for the novelty factor, but because they were so disgustingly perfect.

My third slot goes to Iron Man. I genuinely haven't enjoyed him this much since his first film.

The creative team behind TWS and CW are phenomenal - from the Russo Brothers to the screenwriters. They just get it. Keep them around as long as they're willing.

1) Cap - It was his movie and even though there was a ton of supporting characters, it still felt like and was his story.
2) Black Panther - no explanation needed. From T'Challa to Panther, Chadwick killed the role and exceeded my expectations.
3) Iron Man - Tony Stark always annoyed me in these films but for some reason he felt more humanized in this movie, which kind of made me feel for him and Downey Jr was great.

I never liked Paul Rudd in anything. Even in Ant Man. Damn though, I'm actually starting to come around and enjoy him. If it wasn't for Iron Man in the third act I probably would have chosen him as a third for me.

Black Panther, Spider-Man & Iron Man.

This was a really solid (putting it mildly) introduction for his character. So glad he finally got the silver screen depiction he rightfully deserved.

Goddamn EVERY character was just sublimely portrayed. Every. Single. One.

Carrying the movie
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Winter Soldier

FUN FUN FUN
1. Black Panther
2. Spider-Man
3. Ant-Man

Characters who were surprisingly way more awesome than they should have been
1. Falcon
2. Hawkeye

Widow, Vision, Wanda, War Machine, all played their parts beautifully. Crossbones was great as a "normal" baddie, and Zemo was the most poignant, mature villain in the MCU.

I just cannot get over how well-done this movie was.

The ones everyone has mentioned, but I want to add Vision and Scarlet Witch to the mix. I really liked both of their roles and wish there was more of them. I actually could totally see doing a duo movie with these two.

Cap, Black Panther, and Bucky

Carrying the movie
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Winter Soldier

FUN FUN FUN
1. Black Panther
2. Spider-Man
3. Ant-Man

1. Falcon
2. Hawkeye

Widow, Vision, Wanda, War Machine, all played their parts beautifully. Crossbones was great as a "normal" baddie, and Zemo was the most poignant, mature villain in the MCU.

You pretty much nailed it. I'd put Widow on your list with Clint and Sam and you've conveyed actly how I feel.

But in answering my 3 best, I'd say:

Black Panther: Chadwick Boseman didn't come to mess about. He essentially forced everyone else to have to step their game up. He was/is a complete tour de force and the performance employed to bring such a cool, calculating, monarchical performance to life with a fiery charisma that conveys nobility and simultaneously stoicism and seething vengefulness was no easy task. The regal and dutiful son of a king now no longer a prince but due to tragic circumstances bears the mantle of king is expertly studied and conveyed by Boseman who has now contributed to pushing the MCU forward character wise; as an actor and as this African character he holds a unique and distinguishable position that will not only proliferate the character's popularity amongst fans and general audiences but his presence in the MCU will undoubtedly continue to grow in poignancy. This is a character very easy to mess up and do a huge disservice to especially as his introduction is in another character's film but much credit to the writers, Feige, the Russos, Coogler and especially Boseman for a masterful job excellently done.

Spider-Man: From the moment Tom Holland walked on screen and reached into his back pocket to get his keys to open the front door of his and Aunt May's apartment he had cemented himself as not only an excellent spider-man/Peter but as the definitive cinematic incarnation, doing in seconds what Maguires and Garfield were unable to do in 3 and 2 movies respectively. Holland was/is the spider-man I know and grew up with in the comics and cartoons. Doing the whole motor mouth thing is actually quite hard to pull off, as it has to be entertaining, charming and not come off as irritatingly corny. This was Perfect casting. Perfect execution.

Iron Man: RDJ showed a masterclass of acting, justifying why he's the biggest actor in Hollywood. The cockiness and loveable *****ey arrogance was dialled way down for an approach that was still unequivocally a typically fun and entertaining Tony but a depth, maturity and substance to the character that transcended his performance from the first IM movie.

Evans and RDJ really are perfectly cast in their respective roles though. They've been doing this gig for a while now and are legends in the genre as far as I am concerned.

Black Panther (Chadwick is something special) :up:
Spider-Man (Welcome home buddy!) :sps:
Ant-Man (Shamefully bias) :atm:

1) Cap - It was his movie and even though there was a ton of supporting characters, it still felt like and was his story.
2) Black Panther - no explanation needed. From T'Challa to Panther, Chadwick killed the role and exceeded my expectations.
3) Iron Man - Tony Stark always annoyed me in these films but for some reason he felt more humanized in this movie, which kind of made me feel for him and Downey Jr was great.

I never liked Paul Rudd in anything. Even in Ant Man. Damn though, I'm actually starting to come around and enjoy him. If it wasn't for Iron Man in the third act I probably would have chosen him as a third for me.

I completely agree with your 3 choices, and although I loathe the Scott Lang character in any medium, I actually didn't mind how he was used in CW. Marvel Studios knew exactly what to do with each of the heroes.

1. Captain America
2. Black Panther
3. Iron Man

1. Cap
2. Tony
3. Buck/Spidey - Buck for overall arc & performance, Spidey for standout presence

But goddamn everyone else is clawing for 4th and only 4th place

Panther
Widow
Falcon
Ant-Man
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Rhodey
Hawkeye
Zemo
Sharon

Hell you could throw Pepper's arc through name drops or Peggy's coffin in there too (RIP), I don't know how they did it.

Last edited:
Black Panther

Captain America

Zemo

Everyone was amazing but the three highlights were

Black Panther

Iron Man (best use of the character in years)

Spider-Man

Honorable mentions to Scarlet Witch and the Falcon & Bucky duo.

I was about to start a thread suggesting ranking every hero in the movie, but I'll start with top three:

1. Black Panther - To me, T'Challa stole the show. He was amazing from beginning to end.
2. Spider-Man - Very good job, although I think I'm more impressed how well he was handled, which boosts his ranking. He was only in two scenes, so I'm worried I'm giving him a disproportionate ranking.
3. Captain America - I have to give Steve his due. This was a Captain America film and Chris Evans did a phenomenal job.

That being said, I'm going to try and rank the rest because some of the honorable mentions are great:

4. Scarlet Witch was a standout character. Her subplot and the fear everyone has of her formed the heart of ideological conflict and made this about more than Cap's friendship with Bucky. Steve almost signed the Sakovia Accords until he found out she was being held prisoner. Plus, her powers were amazing on screen.
5. Iron Man - best use of Stark in years. Downey knocked it out of the park acting-wise and sold his side better than anyone else could have.

And the rest:
6. Ant-Man (he was lots of fun)
7. Vision (he continues to be an interesting, compelling, different character)
8. The Winter Soldier (personality-wise, stays the same, but he was shown as a credible threat in fighting)
9. Black Widow (the great job Johansson did last movie stays in my mind, which is why I can't put her higher here)
10. Hawkeye (I thought he was handled well in a small role)
11. Falcon (suffered a bit from being the second Cap sidekick, but still lots of fun. Loved Redwing)
12. War Machine (I liked Rhodey, but there were lots of characters to compete against).

ETA: I'll add that I'm not counting Sharon Carter/Agent 13 because I specifically said Superheroes. Same with Everett K. Ross and Thunderbolt Ross.

Carrying the movie
1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Winter Soldier

FUN FUN FUN
1. Black Panther
2. Spider-Man
3. Ant-Man

1. Falcon
2. Hawkeye

This. 100% agree. I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and I enjoyed BP and maybe even Ant-Man to an extent a little more, which is saying a lot. Can't wait to see it again!

1. Steve
2. Bucky
3. Tony

In terms of pure fun
1. Ant-Man
2. Spidey
3. Sam

The thing which surprised me the most was Black Panther.

I watched Avengers: Earth's Mightest Heroes, and it was like Chadwick Boseman brought that exact characterization to life. The voice was so similar, the attitude, the way he could step back very quickly, see reason, and change course immediately.

I think everyone in the movie did an equally good job, and they all were portrayed wonderfully. But Black Panther gets a little extra applause from me.

Boy this is a tough one. Everybody brought their A Game. I suppose my list would be:

1) Captain America for carrying the movie so well from beginning to end.
2) Iron Man for being an excellent supporting character.
3) Spider-Man for his charm, wit, and contrast to the other characters.

But I could seriously say good things about everyone in the movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"