Who will be the face of the MCU In Phase 4?

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Darkprime, Dec 29, 2018.

?

Who will be the face of the MCU in Phase 4 and beyond?

Poll closed Jan 5, 2019.
  1. Captain Marvel

24.2%
  2. Spider-Man

6.1%
  3. Black Panther

54.5%
  4. Doctor Strange

9.1%
  5. Thor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. New character not yet seen

6.1%
  1. Darkprime

Darkprime Registered

There's been a lot of debate on which character will be the face of the MCU moving forward once Downey and Evans step down as Iron Man and Captain America. During Phase 2-3 there was a shift where imo the mantle was passed from Downey to Evans. As Evans got more screen time and Downey's Iron Man became a supporting character.

But we've had a number of new heroes introduced in Phase 3 who could be setup as the face of the MCU. From Captain Marvel to Black Panther to Doctor Strange, Spider-Man etc. I think most agree the majority of the OG Avengers are probably done at the end of End Game. With the exception of maybe Hemsworth/Thor. So who do you think will take over roles left behind by Downey / Evans after they leave?

Batmannerism likes this.
  2. DocterStrange

DocterStrange Registered

I'd say Captain Marvel.

3. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I think it’s going to be too close between the above for any true standout.

Batmannerism and Stormborn like this.
  4. Lilbaz

Lilbaz Registered

Whoever is most popular with fans.

But we are making the assumption that downey and evans will both step down. I'm not convinced, can see downey staying on making cameos why not? He makes a fortune and his appearance boosts the box office of the film he's in. Why would disney/marvel want that to stop?

SPO2 Dalisay and Stormborn like this.
  5. Shoppy

Shoppy Registered

My money's on one of them becoming new Director Of SHIELD and making occasional appearances. If it's Cap we could get a sad ending for Tony, If it's Tony we could see Cap shot back in time.

6. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Given his popularity and the success of his solo film I'd say Black Panther will be the leading MCU character - followed by Spidey, based on his wide appeal to kids and appearances in other media.

Not sure how Captain Marvel will fare.

Docker2.0 likes this.
  7. Kuwolski

Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n

I don't think there will be just one. There shouldn't be as the universe continues to grow and expand into different corners. Everyone will have their favorites, but RDJ was a home run out of the gate and he kicked it all off. Way more options now.

#7 Kuwolski, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    Stormborn likes this.
  8. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

Does this answer your question?

9. Xeno

Xeno IRON MAN WAS RIGHT!

Feige seems to be pushing Captain Marvel, but I think that he made that decision before seeing what a massive hit Black Panther became. Frankly, I hope that BP and Doctor Strange lead the MCU going forward, but CM looks like the golden girl.

MbJ likes this.
  10. Abudefduf

Abudefduf People are unnecessary

I'm still not convinced T'Challa is as popular as many people seem to believe. The general audience obviously loved his movie, but did they also love T'Challa? Based on what I see on social media, he simply doesn't seem to be as popular as Tony, Cap, Spidey etc. Honestly I see more love for Shuri, but maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

As for Captain Marvel, yeah, it seems Feige is really counting on her being a hit with people. Who knows if that will be the case, though.

#10 Abudefduf, Dec 30, 2018
    Stormborn likes this.
  11. Lip

Lip Registered

I see Carol, T'Challa and Spidey (if the Sony deal continues) as the three main solo heroes.

But the FOX deal is closing and we'll soon have FF and the X-Men heroes.

12. Stormborn

Stormborn Friendly Neighbourhood Thunder God

The whole premise of the MCU is to have connected stories with multiple popular characters joining up so I don't really think there is one main character/face of the MCU any more and I don't think there will be in the future.

In the beginning Tony Stark stood out because the other phase 1 solo films weren't as successful and because Avengers 1 emphasised him but I don't think we'll get that situation again.

Dr Strange, Black Panther and Captain Marvel will probably step up as earth's main protectors after Endgame alongside any of the current Avengers that stay on. My bet's on Thor, Nick Fury and Widow staying big players in phase 4 but who knows. Spidey will probably keep getting caught up in the big events too.

#12 Stormborn, Dec 30, 2018
    Kuwolski likes this.
  13. HammerDown

HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

I'd say Captain Marvel.
    She definitely feels like a new "Captain America" version of a MCU character. While Black Panther seems to be the new "Iron Man" of the bunch. So yeah those 2 should be the big names going forward... Then of course Spider-Man is in that mix with how extremely popular the character is, but then again the character still belongs to Sony so Marvel will likely focus on their core characters... Doctor Strange should also take a big part in the MCU moving forward.

Right now i see those 4 as the pillars of the MCU going into the future.

14. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

I'm going to say Black Panther, just because he's more proven than Captain Marvel. It will be one of the two for sure.

15. 2kt09

2kt09 Here 'N' There

Doctor Strange because all roads seem to lead back to him + he's more interesting in movies outside of his own.

16. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

In all honesty they will all fill certain gaps (assuming the big 3/core 4 don't stick around)

Anyone who misses Stark's tech side will be filled by Spidey and BP. His quippy side will (i assume) be filled by Danvers and Strange.

Anyone who misses Cap's devotion to duty/honor will find it in BP and Captain Marvel (I assume).

Anyone who misses the mysticism in Thor will find it with Strange. If they miss the cosmic side, Danvers/Guardians.

SO i mean, no one person seems likely to fill the shoes of "face of the mcu" UNLESS spidey/sony continue through for another 4+ films. I could definitely see Holland growing into that role. Using him for a Young Avengers (with Kamala Khan and Riri Williams whoever else) seems like a no-brainer. But we shall see.

KBX and Kuwolski like this.
  17. writer0327

writer0327 Registered

Black Panther seems to be the natural choice, he has already been established in 3 films and is a clear box office draw. Captain Marvel is being heavily promoted as the next big thing but she is an unknown as far as film audiences are concerned. If anything, I see it as BP in the #1 spot and CM as #1A

18. Marvel united

Marvel united Omega level Mutant

Captain Marvel, at least according to Feige himself. But nobody is factoring in the Fox properties. Where do the X-Men and F4 fit into the equation?

19. psylockolussus

psylockolussus well-known Mutant

Carol, Tchalla, Strange... the ones that are getting their 2nd solo movie in phase 4. and if the X-Men and FF get a movie in phase 4 they would be introduced in the later part of phase 4.

20. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

I think it will be Black Panther as the Iron Man equivalent and Captain Marvel as the Captain America equivalent. The tech genius king/king of industry versus the soldier. Strange will be the Thor equivalent in the new trinity.

21. MbJ

MbJ Registered

I don't see the Avengers characters taking the backseat to the X-Men or FF anytime soon.

22. Docker2.0

Docker2.0 Watchin' you!

I'm going to say Black Panther. But I see him, Dr. Strange and Captain Marvel being the new big 3 of Marvel in this phase like Cap, Thor and Iron Man was in the previous phase. Can't include Spidey yet because I'm not sure how Sony is going to handle Venom's success. I really think the worse thing that could have happened to Spiderman was Venom making over $800M!

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  23. m2k

m2k Registered

Definitely BP, but more importantly the continued exploration of Wakanda. Audiences are craving that right now and there's plenty of more stories to be told I'm sure.
    We'll have to wait and see how audiences respond to Captain Marvel, whether it's on a similar magnitude as BP, before we know which way they're leaning towards. But Disney and Feige pushing BP for awards and accolades is already a clear indication.

24. Boy Scout

Boy Scout Registered

Feige says Captain Marvel, but I feel like it’ll be Black Panther.

25. Kuwolski

Kuwolski g r u n t - m a n