Who will be the Vice-President Nominations in 2008?

Matt

IKYN Guy Groupie
Reaction score
We've had all kinds of talk over who would be the presidential candidate in 2008, my question is, who do you think are likely VP choices?

My thoughts:

(For the big 3 Democrats)

Hillary Clinton - Wesley Clark has it wrapped up with her, I think.

Barack Obama - Will offer it to Hilary, she will turn it down as she has no desire to be number 2. I see Tim Kaine of Virginia as the best balance to Obama's ticket. A southern, white, male with experience in the executive branch. So yeah, he would be my guess.

John Edwards - I think he would go with Bill Richardson. It is a good balance to the ticket. I'm not sure that he would offer to Obama as there would be too much inexperience there. But Edwards is so white male that he would basically have to pick a minority (especially after having two minority front runners in the form of Clinton and Obama in the primary). That is why I am leaning towards Richardson.

(Big 4 for the Republicans)

Rudy Giuliani - He would need a conservative candidate to balance his ticket, obviously. If Mike Huckabee does well in the primaries, he could be the VP. Otherwise, I think Rick Santorum or Bill Frist are possibilities. If Hillary wins the primary however, there is a possibility Rudy might want to get a woman attached to the campaign and may go with Condoleezza Rice. She can rally the hard core conservatives who remain loyal to the Bush administration and the religious right while he goes after the more liberal conservatives and moderates. So yeah, his VP nomination would be an interesting process to watch.

Mitt Romney - I think Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson has it locked up with him.

John McCain - Hmm...this one is hard to predict. McCain is a bit of a flip-flopper. He has made himself incredibly loyal to the Bush administration to rally their base, but at the same time he still has a very liberal image in the media. I'd see him going with a middle state moderate to balance his ticket either way, but I'm not sure who would fit that bill.

Fred Thompson - I'd say George Allen is a good possibility. Another possible choice, as odd as it sounds is Jeb Bush. He could really get the conservative and religious base rallied around Thompson.

What does everyone else think?

hunter rider, not X-Chick!

Hmmm...not sure about those choices. First off, no one is going to choose anyone in the Bush administration, so cross out Rice. Second, I don't know about Wesley Clark...he doesn't excite anyone...he has military experience, but I think there are more old guard respected Democrat with that label, such as Sam Nunn, Bob Kerrey (although might be confused with John).

George Allen lost re-election due to racist tirade...no way is he getting on the GOP ticket. Rick Santorum couldn't win re-election...not happening. Bill Frist unlikely as well.....

About McCain, I really don't think the flipflopping bit is going to stick. Where exactly has he flip-flopped? Just because he's changed his image ad wants to cater to a certain base is not flip-flopping, can you point to an instance where he has changed a position? Just because he was mean to Falwell and now nice to him is not a "flip-flop", although you can say he panders, but so does everyone else. That's not the same along lines of say Kerry or Clinton on the war.

For Dems, Sam Nunn, Evan Bayh, maybe Tim Kaine (I doubt this one, not enough national presence yet)...I would have said Mark Warner, but he's running for U.S. Senate. Maybe Bill Richardson.....

For Republicans....Huckabee, perhaps Hutchinson,....probably any well- respected moderate Republican senator from prize state.....

X-Chick FTW

X-chick.gif

Ozzy Osbourne for the dems and Grimace for the Republicans.

I think Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama should hook up.......for some HOT Lovin :cwink:

Hillary Clinton - Wesley Clark has it wrapped up with her, I think.

What makes you say Wes Clark? I liked Wes when he ran three years ago, but I havent heard squat from him since. I would think that Hillary would ask Obama to be her running mate. People seem to trust him more than they do her. He has a faithful following. What am I missing? :huh:

What makes you say Wes Clark? I liked Wes when he ran three years ago, but I havent heard squat from him since. I would think that Hillary would ask Obama to be her running mate. People seem to trust him more than they do her. He has a faithful following. What am I missing? :huh:

The fact that Clark has been putting money in Hillary's pocket and campaigning for her like mad where as Obama's poll numbers drop on a daily basis, people are becoming more and more disillusioned by him, and a woman and black man do not really reach out to the southern vote very well. Plus he balances her ticket better than Obama.

Hmmm...not sure about those choices. First off, no one is going to choose anyone in the Bush administration, so cross out Rice. Second, I don't know about Wesley Clark...he doesn't excite anyone...he has military experience, but I think there are more old guard respected Democrat with that label, such as Sam Nunn, Bob Kerrey (although might be confused with John).

George Allen lost re-election due to racist tirade...no way is he getting on the GOP ticket. Rick Santorum couldn't win re-election...not happening. Bill Frist unlikely as well.....

About McCain, I really don't think the flipflopping bit is going to stick. Where exactly has he flip-flopped? Just because he's changed his image ad wants to cater to a certain base is not flip-flopping, can you point to an instance where he has changed a position? Just because he was mean to Falwell and now nice to him is not a "flip-flop", although you can say he panders, but so does everyone else. That's not the same along lines of say Kerry or Clinton on the war.

For Dems, Sam Nunn, Evan Bayh, maybe Tim Kaine (I doubt this one, not enough national presence yet)...I would have said Mark Warner, but he's running for U.S. Senate. Maybe Bill Richardson.....

For Republicans....Huckabee, perhaps Hutchinson,....probably any well- respected moderate Republican senator from prize state.....

The problem is neither Nunn nor Bayh balance tickets. They are too idealogically similiar.

Allen and Santorum may be notorious biggots, but they also add a good balance to Giuliani's more liberal ticket. And thats what it will come down to. The Republicans learned their lesson when Ross Perot stole '92 from them. They are going to want to appeal to that base. That is why Rice has a good chance of getting on Rudi's ticket as well. Do not under estimate the power of a strong base.

As far as the Democrats are concernced:

Hillary- I think Evan Bayh, Tom Vilsack, and Wesley Clark would be her top 3 choices. I would give Bayh an advantage since Bill seems to be a fan of his and would probably push for his selection. If not him, then I would say Clark would have a better chance than Vilsack.

Obama- I could also see Bayh and Clark as contenders. Mark Warner would've been a good choice, but he will be unavailable.

Edwards- I would agree the Bill Richardson would be the best. Once again, I think Clark would be a good choice. Kathleen Sebilious could alse be an interesting choice.

I'm not sure about the Republicans. Haley Barbour has often been stated as a possibility for Giuliani, which I could see. Tim Pawlenty has also been mentioned for McCain. I'm not really sure about Romney or Thompson.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"