Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

Discussion in 'The Avengers Sequels' started by spideymouse, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

1. Captain America

2. Iron Man

3. Thor

4. Hulk

5. Black Widow

6. Hawkeye

7. Nick Fury

8. Maria Hill

9. A new Avenger (please specify)

10. A new SHIELD agent (please specify)

11. Other (please specify)

12. No one!

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pr0xyt0xin

pr0xyt0xin Shaper Savant

?lol? comic relief.

not sure if serious.

2. Hawkingbird

Hawkingbird I want to be Kate Bishop

No killing Hawkeye :argh:. It would destroy my soul, and it would be pointless to the story.

3. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Im just sayin, if an Avenger HAS to die in A2, then I would guess the 2 most likely candidates would be either BW or Hawkeye. Probably neither though. I think if Marvel wants to continue introducing new heroes they'll have to eventually have some leave and go off on their own or whatever. Then again, comics and their movie counterparts are kind of the best medium to kill off someone and then reveal that they actually didn't die. So who knows lol. I don't personally want ANY of the heroes killed off. Or villains for that matter. :yay:
    [​IMG]

4. Scarilian

Scarilian Well-Known Member

Iron Man and possibly either Black Widow or Hawkeye.

Iron Man will likely not get a fourth movie anyway - unless the third breaks box office records.

Hawkeye was not really accepted by fans and the actor disliked the role, so kill him off and do a spin-off film showing his backstory with Black Widow.

Black Widow has'nt really done much other than help introduce us to other characters - other than being eye candy she will likely be killed off at some point.

5. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

I think...I wouldn't mind if Whedon killed off Iron Man in the film. Honestly, it would be the most shocking thing and also make the most sense from a literary point of view as his death had already been foreshadowed in The Avengers, and to have that carry over into The Avengers 2 would be a beautiful thing. It would also give them a legit explanation as to what Tony is doing during Phase 3 (ie being dead), since I don't think a fourth Iron Man movie is in the cards for it, whether the third film is a billion hitter or not.

They can revive him in Avengers 3 and bring the story full circle. It would be sort of like Spock's death in Wrath of Khan.

Jeremy Renner had no problem with the role and he liked the character, he just didn't like the fact that he wasn't able to play the character he signed on for in the first movie.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  6. InternetPeople

InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

Killing off characters is so hard to do right in a continuing universe because of their potential connections in further characters and films. Killing off Iron Man, for example, means his character stops existing. Bringing back characters though LMD's or whatever is cheesy and shows a lack of forthought on the part of those who control the universe (Masters of the Universe?).

Iron Man is the biggest name in the MCU, I would be shocked if he died. Minor, yet important, characters are the ones you kill off because they are replacable. Coulson was perfect because he was just a dude, however much we liked him appearing throughout the Phase 1 films. (I am just talking films, not the TV show here. Besides, people have "died" and are resuscitated all the time. This isn't new.)

If someone is going to be killed off it needs to be someone who is already part of a group and unlikely to receive a stand-alone film. Drax comes to mind as a perfect character to sacrifice to destroy Thanos, considering that's his whole deal anyway. (I see the MCU using Thanos for awhile to continue to introduce cosmic charcters but I could easily be wrong on that). Maybe Gamora dies instead further infuriating Drax (if Gamora takes the origin of Moondragon as Drax's daughter).

Director Fury could also die as his role is small and replacable. Besides, he has been replaced in the comics by a number of people including Hill and Stark, two already existing characters.

Killing off a character is just so hard because Marvel has to accept they cannot milk that property for anything else. I'm not sure the characters that have been introduced thus far are tapped to that level yet.

7. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

They won't kill Cap because it would seem redundant due to the previous comic storyline. Hulk pretty much can't die, nor can Thor. Iron Man....he's become somewhat of the face of the MCU as of late, whether you admit it or not, so I don't know.

8. spidermanJLA!~

spidermanJLA!~ SUPERHERO

Nick Fury if he comes back to life later. Maria Hill, Director of SHIELD.

9. Mr. Dent

Meh, just don't be surprised if Iron Man dies in A2. It was foreshadowed in Avengers and if you have Thanos as a villain you can't get around death. It would be a serious cop out if they did not kill one of the Avengers in the film, and Iron Man would be the most appropriate.

He doesn't have to stay dead from now until eternity, just through phase 3, and then they can revive him in Avengers 3. Like I said, it would be similar to Spock's death in Wrath of Khan.

10. InternetPeople

InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

Death means DEAD. Having a character come back from BEING DEAD is a cop-out and cheesy as hell. Don't do it Marvel. Be smart.

It's hard to willingly kill the golden goose. (They couldn't even kill off Batman after TDKR. Honestly that movie should have been put down as a mercy killing.)

11. Mr. Dent

They're already doing it with Coulson and Bucky so there is precedent.

12. DrCosmic

DrCosmic Professor of Power

Indeed.

My picks, Cap AND Thor AND Hawkeye

Cap, because he has a replacement, Thor because the real powerhouse and he can be brought back from Valhalla or whatever, and Hawkeye because that would tear our Black Widow's heart, and he's expendable on a practical level. "Death, Death and Death"

NOT Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow or supporting cast. Not IM because of pure popularity, not Hulk because he's not really all that emotional, not Widow cuz she's the only girl, not supporting cast because that doesn't mean much. Except maybe Fury, if they can get through the coming SHIELD/Avengers conflict early, then Fury will have served his purpose, and you can kill him off, but because SLJ is so great, it might be best to fake his death.

13. natey2k4

natey2k4 Well-Known Member

Please not Hawkeye. 16 minutes of screen time in the MCU would be a slap in the face to all his fans. If he dies in Avengers 3? So be it. But he deserves to be a bigger part of the story this time - and not just to die. Not to mention, Hawkeye's death would only bother Hill, Fury, and Widow. The other four barely know him.

As far as cheaping Iron Man's death, they could easily do a death scene like Bucky's in Captain America. Where he dies, but there will be a way to explain how he didn't.

A character like Cap dying hurts the whole team (he was the leader afterall). Bucky can replace him as well, though Chris Evans was made for Captain America.

Hopefully they just kill Falcon. I couldn't care less about him - and he'd have a bigger effect then Hawkeye on Widow and Cap.

14. Mr. Dent

Yeah Hawkeye would be in really poor taste. They should kill one of the big three...the one that makes the most sense is Iron Man.

15. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

That's part of bucky's character. And it turned into one of the best captain america stories of all time.

Secondly, we don't know anytihng about Couldon yet. He's not necessarily dead, maybe he came back, maybe he did't. Maybe he's not human.

16. Mr. Dent

They appeared to die on screen and are coming back. Same ****.

17. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Oh sure....always kill the black guy first. :cmad:

18. Mjölnir

Mjölnir Guest

If they should kill someone that really created a big impact it would be through killing one of the main four. Out of those I think Hulk is the best option.

First of all it would lend the killer huge credibility since Hulk is extremely tough and durable. To have Thanos not being truly beaten in the second movie and having him wreak such havoc as to have Hulk die could be somewhat close to being the Empire Strikes Back of this series. Secondly Hulk doesn't seem to get any more movies, and perhaps they've deemed the he works best in short stints.

Iron Man would be the other option since you can still have Iron Man without Tony Stark. That said, Stark probably carries the movies most of all characters overall and is really the base for the popularity of the MCU so that doesn't seem as wise or as likely.

Captain America dying wouldn't be as special since he's the weakest member of the four and his humanity is pretty important for the group. Thor could give the same credibility to a villain as he's a powerhouse just like Hulk, but he's already died several times in the comics and it feels done, plus that he's of course the second biggest franchise after Iron Man.

So do I want Hulk to die? Of course not. But if a character that I want to see die, or that I don't really care about dies, then the death doesn't do it's job.

19. natey2k4

I swear I'm not racist, but for some reason I dislike all of Nick Fury, Falcon, and Black Panther! Not really sure why either. I like the Ninja Turtles though and they're green! :woot:

I think I just like cocky characters, and they don't give off that vibe. Hawkeye, Gambit, and Torch are my favourite. Deadpool and Scarlet Spider not far behind.

20. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

Never a good line with which to start a sentence...

Also, never a good line to use to claim you're not racist.

I think BP is supposed to come off as pretty cocky. And Nick Fury is originally a white guy, so if you don't like him as a white guy either, that might make you sound less racist. How do you feel about James Rhodes? Luke Cage? Bishop?

Anyway, we haven't even seen how they've written Anthony Mackie's Falcon. He might turn out to be quite a lovable character (which would make him a prime target for Whedon, of course).

21. Guerrilla

Guerrilla Well-Known Member

What if they kill off big names like ironman in avengers 2 and maybe cap or thor in avengers 3 and they then happen to make an avengers 4 with Kang as the villain. Kind of use him to bring back the major players a la xmen dofp? Seems like that would be a smart option...to save Kang for when a movie in the MCU flops/makes a mistake/goes in wrong direction...in comes Kang to "reset" the timeline.

22. terry78

terry78 I'm gonna need more rope

They really can't afford to kill off anyone massive since they're all pretty integral to the franchise. Hate to say it but the only characters they could kill off in the future would be female. Yes, it's a refrigerator thing, but that's the comic world.

23. Ant-manic

Ant-manic Well-Known Member

an after credits scene should show that one of the Avengers has been replaced by Ultron. the actual swap would take place in some giant battle scene with whomever the big bad is. there'd be that point where they all think the character has died; only for them to return to the battle at a pivotal moment.

or they could have the guy who played Darwin in X-Men First Class show up for no reason to die again.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  24. Mr. Dent

Yeah. I have no problem with Marvel bringing them back in a later Avengers. I personally like the idea of Marvel pulling a Wrath of Khan.

25. natey2k4

I normally wouldn't point it out (maybe I shouldn't have), but I just didn't want to get razzed like I did somewhere else for saying I disliked those heroes.

BP, I had no opinion on, until the EHM's cartoon. It just seemed like he NEVER got beat. Ever.

Yes, I hate white Nick Fury too.

Don't know much about Bishop, but never cared for him enough to find out more. Hate Luke Cage (but I'm not fond of many overpowered heroes including Hulk, Thing, Red Hulk, etc). Love, love, love Rhodey though. War Machine is awesome. Used to use him a lot in Overpower when I was a kid! I like Storm too, although she's nowhere near my Top-5.

And true enough, the only character I like slightly more in the movie universe is Hulk, but in small dosees (and only in the Avengers.. disliked the other two movies). Then again, in movie-life, I wasn't too fond of Gambit or Deadpool either, and they are both in my Top-5/6.