Sequels Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

please dont tell me hawkeye did more or was more important than cap. i really hope you are not suggesting that. i mean when all the marvel movies have in some form or fashion been about or connected to capt, i really cant believe you would down play capt role to hawkeye. i guess the military was wrong to spend untold money and time chaseing after a perfect super-soldier when, hey wait a minute we just need a very good bowmen. what i am saying is if i had to pick between capt and hawkeye in regards to a must have in that battle, well lets see i think i would go with the super-soldier with a enormous amount of war experience and leadership ability to a human being with really good aim.
No, he wasn't saying Hawkeye was more important than Cap. He was just saying that Hawkeye was an important part of the battle. He

• Advised Cap that there were many civilians in the buildings, and proceeded to cover Cap's back as he ran to tell the police to get them out and create a perimeter,
  • Helped a bunch of people get to safety,
  • Gave Iron Man some solid advice about the Chitauri's hovercrafts not being able to bank worth a damn (allowing Iron Man to rid of a bunch of them faster),
  • Shot the arrow that exploded and knocked Loki off his hovercraft and sent him falling into Stark's penthouse (setting up Hulk's famous scene), which also allowed Black Widow to get to the portal safely, and
  • Yeah, he shot a bunch of aliens dead.
No, of course Hawkeye isn't MORE important than Cap, but he was an important part of the battle. He was a great team player.

please dont tell me hawkeye did more or was more important than cap. i really hope you are not suggesting that. i mean when all the marvel movies have in some form or fashion been about or connected to capt, i really cant believe you would down play capt role to hawkeye. i guess the military was wrong to spend untold money and time chaseing after a perfect super-soldier when, hey wait a minute we just need a very good bowmen. what i am saying is if i had to pick between capt and hawkeye in regards to a must have in that battle, well lets see i think i would go with the super-soldier with a enormous amount of war experience and leadership ability to a human being with really good aim.
I'd pick Cap too - in most circumstances. Hawkeye did seem like he probably killed more Chitauri than Cap though - and that's all I said.

All I'm trying to do is downplay the ridiculous statement your making about Hawkeye not being an important part of the team by showing you facts from the film. Of course you'll just dispute it with mythical thoughts about superheroes that don't exist and who you'd rather take to battle with you.

As far as the actual comics go - look no further than the most recent Captain America comics where he teamed with Hawkeye. Cap was beat and overtaken by a Symbiote which Hawkeye defeated and saved Cap from death.

Some of you guys are crazy. To even suggest Iron Man dying in the MCU is just :doh:.

I'd pick Cap too - in most circumstances. Hawkeye did seem like he probably killed more Chitauri than Cap though - and that's all I said.

All I'm trying to do is downplay the ridiculous statement your making about Hawkeye not being an important part of the team by showing you facts from the film. Of course you'll just dispute it with mythical thoughts about superheroes that don't exist and who you'd rather take to battle with you.

As far as the actual comics go - look no further than the most recent Captain America comics where he teamed with Hawkeye. Cap was beat and overtaken by a Symbiote which Hawkeye defeated and saved Cap from death.
so you are going to pick a moment from the comic to back up your opinion. the whole who should be on this team is something any military organization would do, it not just a fan boy thing. and sense this is presented in a more real world reality, excuse me for taking more of that pov. i know hawkeye has a long history and many fans and i understand why. i am just saying that hawkeye has a place, but is not vital to this team. whether you want to admit or not. i mean fans act as if hawkeye were not under lokis control he would have stop the battle from happening at the end of the movie, i just think he gets to much hype. i know fans dont like that but to each his own.

Actually the military would/does tell soldiers that the team is important.

That's really the entire point of The Avengers - they are a gestalt - they are greater together, stronger together, than they could ever be apart. The battle would have gone the other way had any one member not been there. They are a unified whole.

And I'm not a Hawkeye fanboy - I've never even read a Hawkeye comic and had only a passing familiarity with him before the movie.

so you are going to pick a moment from the comic to back up your opinion. the whole who should be on this team is something any military organization would do, it not just a fan boy thing. and sense this is presented in a more real world reality, excuse me for taking more of that pov. i know hawkeye has a long history and many fans and i understand why. i am just saying that hawkeye has a place, but is not vital to this team. whether you want to admit or not. i mean fans act as if hawkeye were not under lokis control he would have stop the battle from happening at the end of the movie, i just think he gets to much hype. i know fans dont like that but to each his own.

Hawkeye is just as vital to the team as anyone else is. Is there anyone else on the team with the leadership ability and battle tactics of Cap? No, so that's why he's important. Is there anybody with the variety and resources of Iron Man? No, so that's why he's important. Is there anybody with knowledge of other realms and godly powers other than Thor? No, so that's why he's important. Is there anybody with the perfect vision and perfect accuracy of Hawkeye? NO, so that's why he's important. He doesn't just shoot arrows... are you serious? HE'S JUST AS VITAL AS ANYONE ELSE.

Last edited:
I've never understood the mentality which would judge a character's presence on a team based on something like power levels. As soon as you do, you have to start drawing arbitrary lines in the sand as to what makes who worthwhile. If the team has Thor, it really doesn't need Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow or Hawkeye because he can do more damage and is more powerful than all of them combined. The point is that these characters are people, individuals who contribute more than just a power set. The whole point is that the team is more than the sum of its parts, so the sum of the parts aren't relevant.

On a side note, I think that given that Iron Man 3 is the last film RDJ is contracted for, it could be pretty powerful to kill him in an Avengers sequel and never risk over saturating an audience on RDJ's Iron Man. That said, I'd be perfectly happy with no deaths.

Anyone who voted any of the top 5 options is wrong :jedi

Hah...Funny how the two female characters are in the top 2....

I agree, but I would change that to the "top 6" so Hawkeye can be included.
Hawkeye's my favo Avenger but I'm not entirely against Whedon writing a badass heroic death in for him.

I've never understood the mentality which would judge a character's presence on a team based on something like power levels. As soon as you do, you have to start drawing arbitrary lines in the sand as to what makes who worthwhile. If the team has Thor, it really doesn't need Iron Man, Cap, Black Widow or Hawkeye because he can do more damage and is more powerful than all of them combined. The point is that these characters are people, individuals who contribute more than just a power set. The whole point is that the team is more than the sum of its parts, so the sum of the parts aren't relevant.

On a side note, I think that given that Iron Man 3 is the last film RDJ is contracted for, it could be pretty powerful to kill him in an Avengers sequel and never risk over saturating an audience on RDJ's Iron Man. That said, I'd be perfectly happy with no deaths.

This is basically what I was getting at, but just stated far more eloquently.

I also agree with Chewy - any of these characters are really fair game to die by the end of the hypothetical third movie - and I trust Joss to, even if he's killing someone off, do the characters justice.

I think that, if Tony Stark were to die in these movies, it would happen in the third or possibly at the end of the second. It would serve as the most poignant and surprising (at least to the general audiences) death, seeing as he is the character most people have come to know best and serves as the comic relief.

This is basically what I was getting at, but just stated far more eloquently.

I also agree with Chewy - any of these characters are really fair game to die by the end of the hypothetical third movie - and I trust Joss to, even if he's killing someone off, do the characters justice.

I think that, if Tony Stark were to die in these movies, it would happen in the third or possibly at the end of the second. It would serve as the most poignant and surprising (at least to the general audiences) death, seeing as he is the character most people have come to know best and serves as the comic relief.
Well that's certainly Joss's MO. =P

If you think about it, Iron Man was the character Joss came closest to killing off in The Avengers, since he did have him "make the sacrifice play" with the nuke, and he was lying there on the ground unconscious for a while. To do so again in a sequel but then actually kill him might seem like retreading old steps.

That's why I'm saying I would expect it in the third, if at all.

Tony is the character we have/are seeing the biggest change of personality in.

Plus, Whedon does like to pull the metaphorical rug out from under his audiences (re: the "watch how I soar" scene in Serenity) and to have Tony go and put his life out on the line again, with audiences thinking 'Oh, we've seen this, he will survive', to end up dying...

I think Whedon could make it a very powerful scene.

Though, to be fair, you are correct: It COULD end up feeling like a re-tread.

Hawkeye's my favo Avenger but I'm not entirely against Whedon writing a badass heroic death in for him.

I am, why kill him off when he was the least developed Avenger with the lowest amount of screentime?

Just like Thor, Hawkeye hasn't even got a chance to form relationships with anyone on the team yet (besides Widow).

That's what the entire second movie is for. If someone gets killed off, it won't be in frame one (although never say never... :oldrazz:)

That's what the entire second movie is for. If someone gets killed off, it won't be in frame one (although never say never... :oldrazz:)

I still think that's too early, save the "character deaths" for the third film.

My friend thought Maria Hill was going to die for like the first 30 minutes of The Avengers so I just voted for her.

I don't want any permanent deaths.

I don't either, which is why I picked Thor. But honestly... if the stakes are going to be raised, someone more important than Coulson has to die in 2.

I don't either, which is why I picked Thor. But honestly... if the stakes are going to be raised, someone more important than Coulson has to die in 2.

Damn you! :argh:

^ lol

Thor died in his own movie and for my taste he died to often in the comics. That's getting old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"