Sequels Who would you let Joss Whedon kill in Avengers 2?

I think Joss did right by both the audience and universe [BLACKOUT]by killing off Coulson in The Avengers[/BLACKOUT] (a MCU specific character who we cared about just enough to be emotional).

I also agree that he shouldn't kill off characters for the sake of killing them. But I do think that mortality should visit Captain America in the future. Ultron's death and the creation of Vision could be enough emotional resonance for a sequel. Maybe save Cap's death until after Avengers 2 (Cap 3 or Avengers 3 maybe) and they should probably leave it open for debate whether he is gone for good or not.

What I'm having in my script is Hank Pym is embarrassed by Ant-Man, and doesn't think he's good enough for the Avengers. Black Widow sacrifices herself to save him, letting him see that heroes are needed and he decides to avenge her by joining the Avengers. So the team is Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man, Wasp and Hawkeye. I think that works.

I think Cap is pretty lame. Don't know why, but he came across a little dumb… :)

Iron Man and Captain America are the two guys that are the opposite ends of the spectrum in a sense. They're both kind of annoying in their own way because their extremes due to the circumstances, but that's why they take the reins on Marvel teams more often than not.

The Vision... So Clark Gregg can die twice in the make series...

Oh, wait. Sorry.... I guess I jumped the gun a little there.

"Killing" JARVIS would be a stroke of genius, but nowhere near the impact of Coulson.You need an Avenger to die, and you need to be able to bring them back. That's pretty much Thor, although he kinda died already in his own movie, it was as a mortal human, I think seeing him killed while super would be a pretty epic moment, especially if the death sticks through the end of the movie, then they bring him back in Thor 3: Ragnarok using Asgardian Tech!Magic. Bonus points if they set up such technology in Thor 2.

Unfortunately, killing Cap and Fury doesn't leave the team without a leader, because they still have Iron Man, who is already planning an Avengers tower and leading the cast offscreen. The leaderless thing won't fly. As stated, none of the red shirt deaths will pop, and IM's not expendable. Killing the Hulk might have a similar effect as Thor, though not as emotional because he doesn't have as many/strong attachments, but then you're out a Hulk permanently, and it kinda goes against Hulk being this unstoppable entity.

The only one whose death would really resonate with all of them is Cap, akin to the books. Even the aliens and supernatural heroes had to bow down and take pause when he got assassinated.

Hmmm... I don't know that he's as beloved with the audience though. Thor did a lot better than Cap did, and just polls better all around with the mainstream.

What polls? Cap did way better in DVD sales than Thor. Thor being one of the first summer blockbusters to hit theaters while coming in late and right behind the last Potter film had much more to do with the difference in take than who's more popular.

Hmm... maybe, maybe not. On further examination, they seem about even in popularity, that's surprising, but hey, go fig.

They aren't going to kill Cap. They aren't going to kill any of the main four. At the end of the day these are still family movies. You didn't see Spielberg killing off Indy's dad in Last Crusade or Lucas killing off Leia.

You have to kill off a character who is important to the audience and the other characters, but not one who defines your film. I still think Hawkeye'll be the Avenger to die, in 3.

I dont know how your "defines the film" criteria works but Joss had no problem doing in [BLACKOUT]Wash and Book[/BLACKOUT] in Serenity. They were definitely main characters. At that point, I think if he felt that it was integral to the story that he wouldve just as soon killed off Mal or River too. I never once got the feeling that he would spare a character just because they were the "main" character.

That being said, I think Cap is a little more likely to get the death sentence seeing as how his character will have exhausted his trilogy by that time and Hawkeye will still have plenty of potential Box Office take to rake in.

Nah he wouldn't have killed off Mal or River or Baccarin's character... they're the ones who pushed the storyline as a whole forward, the ones the entire fictional universe was structured around. Those other two were just fun side-characters. Like he never would have killed off one of the main trio from Buffy. There's certain characters you simply can't kill off without damaging the narrative going forward and/or writing yourself into a corner.

Killing off Cap would be like killing off Luke in Jedi... you could do it, but it doesn't bring much to the piece and damages the film's underlying optimism

I don't think the general audience has enough reason to care about Hawkeye for Whedon to kill him off with sufficient emotional effect. Likewise, the new characters that come with Phase II probably wouldn't be as meaningful either.

To these points I say either Nick Fury or Hulk.

Fury has been there from the beginning and as others have said, he is the reason why the Avengers are together in the first place making him a symbol. Killing him off would be like burning the flag of the superheroes. SHIELD would temporarily fall to pieces and the heroes would be impacted as well.

Hulk would also work because the general audience went crazy over him. Aside from that, he is the one that would probably stand the best chance against Thanos out of the original six. Having him die first would show howuch Thanos doesnt play around amd sort of take away one of the team's strongest points which would raise the stakes.

What is this, amateur hour? I will only say it once.

I SIGNED ON FOR 6 MOVIES!

My guess is an Avenger will die and Nick Fury will either get fired or resign.

They aren't going to kill Cap. They aren't going to kill any of the main four. At the end of the day these are still family movies. You didn't see Spielberg killing off Indy's dad in Last Crusade or Lucas killing off Leia.

You have to kill off a character who is important to the audience and the other characters, but not one who defines your film. I still think Hawkeye'll be the Avenger to die, in 3.

Hmmmm I don't know. Bucky is signed on for like 6 films, they might do a Civil War type thing and kill him, having Bucky take over.

I voted no one,but I guess Nick would be my pick if it were absolutely necessary to choose one.

I would say Fury but SLJ's 9 pic deal makes me think otherwise. Plus, one does not simply kill off Sam Jackson.

And secondly and less importantly, i would personally hate to see the only minority taken out of this. A white-washed MCU won't be the best idea.

I think Nick would have the most emotional resonance.I can't see (nor do I want) them killing the "big guns" (Cap,Thor,Stark,) and Clint and Hill wouldn't really mean much,at least at this point.

Then we could have Falcon on the team for "affirmative action" just like in the comics.:woot:

I wouldn't mind if Thor gets killed off. Simply because he'd be the easiest to bring back.

"Kill" Hulk, if Thanos is indeed the Villain and he has the Infinity Gaunlet...have him send Hulk to the other side of the Galaxy giving the appearance of his death. Then the Easter egg can be hulk on Sakaar setting up the next Hulk movie inspired by Planet Hulk.

It'd finally be the Hulk movie people want to see, a more intelligent Hulk for the majority of the movie, and we don't have to get yet another Hulk gets Mad and destroys a couple blocks of a city film. Can introduce a bunch of alien species to the MCU, maybe Beta Ray Bill himself, and have the GOTG find him and pick him up at the end maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"