Infinity War Who's more original and unique? Thanos or Darkseid?

There's no question that Thanos is more unique. Darkseid's motivations are really as generic as they come; he wants to end all life but for what? There's no substance to his plans, to be honest. Yeah, Darkseid's a badass and is one of my favorite villains, but Thanos will always trump him because he's a far deeper character.

And, imo, Thanos would completely curbstomp Darkseid in a battle. :D

Uh... Darkseid is not out to kil all life. That actually is more in line with Thanos actually given the death fetish and what he did in the Infinity Gauntlet story.

I also don't get this whole "well, Thanos was originally supposed to be a gloss on Metron and it was Starlin's editor that chipped in the idea to make him more like Darkseid in many aspects" arguments. Because that's kinda immaterial as a point. He was in the creation process conceived at first as akin to Merton, fine, but that version never saw the light of day or used in a comic book. It's the version that all parties involved admit was an homage to Kirby's villain that has been kicking around for decades.

Last edited:
Yeah Thanos is the one who wants to end all life to impress Death. Darkseid wants to take over the universe with the Anti-Life Equation. Neither are really deep in motives.

Uh... Darkseid is not out to kil all life. That actually is more in line with Thanos actually given the death fetish and what he did in the Infinity Gauntlet story.

I also don't get this whole "well, Thanos was originally supposed to be a gloss on Metron and it was Starlin's editor that chipped in the idea to make him more like Darkseid in many aspects" arguments. Because that's kinda immaterial as a point. He was in the creation process conceived at first as akin to Merton, fine, but that version never saw the light of day or used in a comic book. It's the version that all parties involved admit was an homage to Kirby's villain that has been kicking around for decades.

Darkseid has made numerous bids to end all life, hence his obsession with the Anti-Life equation.

I think that's only true when it comes to physical appearance, not everything else.

Eh, I think it's more shared influences from the same sources rather than a direct inspiration of one by the other.

I think the "by Kirby" part is nearly essential. Thanos runs into some similar problems absent Starlin, but he still works better.

Yep. Their motives are pretty different. Thanos wants the Infinity Gems to destroy the universe while Darkseid wants the Anti-Life equation to control it.

Darkseid has made numerous bids to end all life, hence his obsession with the Anti-Life equation.

But not the same thing as killing everyone in the universe. The explanation for the Anti-Life is that it allows you to take full control over another. So if you can't control yourself and have no identity then you have no life.

You don't know what the Anti-Life Equation is, do you?

seth_facepalm.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"