Who's Your Favorite Movie Superhero?

Discussion in 'Misc. Comics Films' started by The Batman, Sep 25, 2020.

1. The Batman The Dark Knight

And Why are they your favorite?

What are your favorite scenes featuring this character?

Did you like how that character's storyline was ended?

Could be a character from the comics, an original superhero, or, as long as you have an interesting argument, someone that usually isn't classified as a superhero.

If your favorite is someone like Batman, who has been played by multiple actors, try to name a specific version of that character.

HammerDown and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  2. Milk Tray Guy 70s Man of Action

Batman (Keaton and Bale). Been a Batfan since watching Adam West first time around as a very young child, with my dad

Favourite scenes...
    Batman -- Batman taking out Napier's goons at Axis Chemicals
    Batman Returns -- Batman/Penguin 'Things change'
    Batman Begins -- Batman/Gordon 'And you'll never have to'
    TDK -- Batman/Joker interrogation
    TDKR -- Both Batman/Bane fights

I'd rather Batman had clearly died saving Gotham from the bomb in TDKR

Bruce Wayne likes this.
  3. Fincher Coming Undone

Batman. I enjoy him as a dark, mysterious, stylish hero, so the Keaton version is my favorite (or the Burton/Schumacher version, if you go by the whole continuity). I'm not too concerned about what happens in the very last movie since I can always headcanon it out of existence, but no, I don't think Batman & Robin made for a good ending. I would have liked him and Catwoman to be revisited, too. And I know they're bringing Keaton back and that leaves things open-ended, but I'm not happy about him being in the wider DC universe and think it'll likely drop his ranking among my favorites below Catwoman (if she counts) and Wolverine.

Favorite scenes:

1. Batman vs. Catwoman in Returns
    2. "You wanna get nuts?"
    3. Taking Vicki Vale to the Batcave
    4. Fighting in the cathedral in '89
    5. The art museum and the fighting afterward

4. The Batman The Dark Knight

Personally, I don't think I have a specific favorite, so I'll just talk about Thor.

[​IMG]

Thor is one of the most interesting characters in the MCU. It's become cool to act like Thor only became great in Phase 3, but Hemsworth, in my view, was great in the first Thor movie. He really made the character accessible to a general audience while still feeling true to what the character was in the comics.

I like Chris Hemsworth's willingness and desire to play all these different shades of the character. It reminds me of Bale's Batman.

I'm going to try and avoid the obvious picks for favorite Thor moment and go with him destroying the rainbow bridge in the first movie.

I'm glad Endgame isn't the end for the character...I wasn't really in love with his storyline in that film.

HammerDown likes this.
  5. Bruce Wayne Goodwill towards men...and women.

Keaton's Batman in '89/Returns remains my favourite for his intrinsically dark and brooding intensity, in addition to being lovably eccentric and absentminded on the surface. It never felt like he was totally comfortable in own skin or at even ease with himself until he actually put on the suit and became a creature of the night. Favourite scenes are too many to note, but special mentions go to his first appearance in '89, 'Descent into Mystery', and his realisation that Selina Kyle and Catwoman are one and the same. As to whether I'm satisfied with where his character ended up, well...we'll see. :cwink:

Milk Tray Guy likes this.
  6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

robert-downey-jr-iron-man-tony-stark.jpg

Iron Man. To start with, he was already my favorite since I was kid. I just loved the idea of a rich billionaire playboy who made his own powers with technology. The archetype exists for other characters as well (ex. Batman), but the difference with Stark is that being him just seemed so much more fun. Bruce Wayne is cool and all, but he's miserable all of the time, so he wasn't exactly someone to use for pure escapist fantasy. Stark's gadgets are much cooler too. This was all turned up to eleven with the cinematic version where he was just such a breath of fresh air and a joy to watch. I think this is best shown in the final "I am Iron Man" scene of the original film. Stark is proud of who he is and wants the world to know about everything he's done, risks be damned. He's not hiding under a mask or secret identity. Eventually he gets beaten down by all of the bad things that happen in his life and he grows substantially as a character from where he was originally as well. I think it is the best written and performed story of any cinematic comic book superhero, and I couldn't be happier that it happened to be my favorite character that got it.

Favorite Scenes: The "I am Iron Man" scene mentioned above. The scene with Alfre Woodard in Civil War where it really hits him about how reckless he can be (this is the downside to his behavior). Meeting his father in End Game. When he takes Peter's costume, and it is revealed that in spite of his flippant attitude, he really was taking Peter seriously.

Did you like how that character's storyline was ended?: He has probably the best conclusion to any long running CBM character. The only other character I would even put in the conversation is Hugh Jackman's Logan.

7. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Captain America. Because you almost never see Lawful Good done nearly so good.

Spider-Aziz and Bayne like this.
  8. Neil McCauley Registered

Yeah this.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  9. Spider-Aziz Spelunking

Captain America (MCU)

And Why are they your favorite?
    Compare him to Chris Reeve's Superman, he didn't want to lose his powers to date a girl just cause his ghost mom said so (why did the crystal build a depowering chamber in the fortress in the first place?). Him quitting was not quitting his duties as a heroic person, he just went back to the time he belongs to more.

Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne comes close in that regard though, the system is broken no longer, Batsy can retire now that his goal is achieved.

What are your favorite scenes featuring this character?
    Captain's Orders (the Winter Soldier)
    Directing the Avengers (Avengers)
    Stopping Thor and Iron Man from wasting more time (Avengers)
    Mjolnir test (Age of Ultron)
    Return (Infinity War)
    You got heart kid, where're you from? (Civil War)
    Worthy Cap (Endgame)
    AVENGERS... assemble (Endgame)

Did you like how that character's storyline was ended?
    Yes.

10. Mandon Knight This means something to those who believe....

Favourite Hero and why ?

Superman
    . :super: He has always been my ultimate hero and for me the defining hero. He was the first and the most important hero to me. He stands for all we should aspire to be and his moral values are those I aim to stand by in my every-day.

From childhood onwards, I was fortunate to be young enough to see the Christopher Reeve films at the time of release. The first in 1978 is, to me, the greatest CBM of all-time. The Template for all that have followed and we would not have as a successful genre if not for it's quality of what Richard Donner and team brought to the screen. It continues to emotionally resonate with me as it where the first time I saw it in 1978 with my Dad. It stays with me more than any other film, because of it's impact. I am the writer & film-maker I am today, because of it.

Scenes (of the 1978-1987 era)

Although, unquestionably diminishing returns past the second, there are outstanding scenes in 1 through to 3.

The original's grand-scope, is the entire film for me, it's a masterpiece of cinema history for me. Key scenes are....

Clark Leaves Smallville....

Superman's first public appearance....

Superman's reaction to the death of Lois Lane

Of course, the character was 'left on the shelf' after Quest for Peace, you can understand why. Superman Returns in 2006 heralds his return, I loved it upon release, on reflection, this was due to the wait for my fave character to return, rather than the film itself. Its basically a 1940's Preston Surges 'take' on what had been before, officially they stated it was a direct sequel to Donner's second film (and has story elements continued). I love the aesthetic of the film, but the choices made for and by the character simply do not hold true to the values of what Superman would 'actually' do. It looks gorgeous but the choices made are plain 'wrong' in my view (so many of them to list here) of the character's motivations, choices and outcomes.

Superman Returns key scenes....

'I hear everything'.....

Rooftop Bullets.....

Plane Rescue.....

Man of Steel, I will say from the outset I love & adore this film and the casting and everything about the film and it's place in the DCEU. I stand by the view it is and was the Superman we needed at the time. People complained that Superman did nothing but lift heavy items during Returns and then there were huge complaints of too much, excessive destruction in MoS and zero consequences, we all know the drill, it's been discussed to death in all forums over the years. Snyder for me, gave us a more relatable Clark and Superman, a 'world view' rather than sticking to what had come before and for me the film benefitted from this hugely. The recent news of Cavill's 'return' (he never went away in my book) is the BEST news, cannot wait to see how they shape his future films. For me, the greatest part of it all ? The chemistry between Amy and Henry (for me, they are the best portrayals of L&C as a 'couple').

Man of Steel key scenes....

Battle of Smallville - 2 parts....

Clark & Lois go to meet Zod....

Film's Ending combination of scenes.....

Story-Ending

One would have to be honest here and say an overall NO. The original four films, dragged him down to the dirt gradually, bad errors (sacking Donner) onwards led the character to a horrible place come 1987.

Superman Returns has merits and worked hard to give us what WB believed the audience wanted and needed, adjustments in story and more action, and Brainiac as the villain, not Lex, and you'd be there. Solid but not enough beyond the fan-base, with very little global acclaim nor box office.

Current day, on the line I'd say. As it stands we await Snyder's cut of Justice league, of which I campaigned hard (as many did) for and cannot wait for. MoS and BvS are for me 'evolved' stories of Snyder's long-term plan, let's see how they are perceived next year and take the optimism that that concluded situation brings to re-new clearly what Cavill has in buckets-full, the charm, smile, positive energy and values that the character exudes.

Mach2Infinity and Nardz937 like this.
  11. The Batman The Dark Knight

Yeah, and Evans' Cap certainly didn't drop everything to date the girl from the 1940's he never got over, all cause his rich buddy said so. :o

Personally, I think its a reach to act like Evans' Cap didn't end up doing exactly what Reeve Superman did: give up his responsibilities for love. Only difference is, it was a temporary situation for Superman.

It definitely was if you agree with the Endgame Writers belief that 2023 Cap was always Peggy's husband in the original MCU timeline.

At best, Steve went to another timeline to possibly (emphasis the word possibly) continue his heroic duties.

Again, Steve dropped everything to go be with 1940's Peggy. It wasn't just, or even mainly about going back to a time he belongs to more.

12. Joined:
    Mar 10, 2015
    This is tough, but I would have to say Chris Evans' Captain America. He's up there with Christopher Reeve's Superman, RDJ's Iron Man and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine on the Mount Rushmore.

[​IMG]

Favorite scenes:

Am I happy with his ending? Nope.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  13. HammerDown High Tide Or Low Tide

My favorite superhero is Thor.
    He's a powerful and cool looking character with a great set of abilities and weapons, the character of Thor was somewhat of a revelation, I have always been interested in mythology, history, archeology... and when I got introduced to the character things naturally fell into place.

The cinematic spotlight also helped a lot, as did the inspired choice of Chris Hemsworth as the character which really flourished with Ragnarok and beyond. He was already good in previous installments such as Thor and The Avengers but things really kicked into gear afterwards. Also Thor’s comicbook history with the backdrop of Nordic mythology is so incredible rich and full with great content.

I think Thor’s dramatic journey with all of its ups and downs and his evolution has been used for great effect to add relatability, a different sense of humor and pathos which encapsulates a gem of a character.

Regarding the character’s storyline it’s an ever evolving one which i’m eager to follow in future installments. Thor is a corner stone of the MCU and his recent triumphant “rebirth” has breath life not only into the character but also the cinematic universe itself.

Instead of focusing on specific favorite scenes which there are many, i'm going pick a couple of epic Thor tributes from Youtube created by some absolute dedicated legends. Thank you. :)