Why are specialty cable channels starting to suck so bad?

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
I mean, we all cringed when Cartoon Network started showing live action movies on weekends and "Saved by the bell" on the graveyard block. But clearly this betrayal of theme is not limited to CN. We've also got The Sci-Fi channel airing daytime soaps, and G4 airing Star Trek TNG and The Man Show! There are probably even more examples, but I haven't seen them yet.

I fear it's only a matter of time before we start to see Comedy Central airing E.R., Spike TV airing chick flicks, and Food Network airing Law & Order. The only channel I think will benefit from these walls being broken down will be when Lifetime starts airing 24.

Seriousely, what the heck is happening to cable and satelite? Is it possible that specialty channels are on the way out, and all we'll have is 100 varieties of TBS and USA? I'd hate to think so, but when the people pulling the strings stop caring about staying true to their channel's core theme, there's not much we can do. :(

Haha. I knew the "suck so bad" threads would catch on.

Timstuff said:
I mean, we all cringed when Cartoon Network started showing live action movies on weekends and "Saved by the bell" on the graveyard block. But clearly this betrayal of theme is not limited to CN. We've also got The Sci-Fi channel airing daytime soaps, and G4 airing Star Trek TNG and The Man Show! There are probably even more examples, but I haven't seen them yet.

I fear it's only a matter of time before we start to see Comedy Central airing E.R., Spike TV airing chick flicks, and Food Network airing Law & Order. The only channel I think will benefit from these walls being broken down will be when Lifetime starts airing 24.

Seriousely, what the heck is happening to cable and satelite? Is it possible that specialty channels are on the way out, and all we'll have is 100 varieties of TBS and USA? I'd hate to think so, but when the people pulling the strings stop caring about staying true to their channel's core theme, there's not much we can do. :(
I'm afraid your right timstuff i hope not though

Colossal Spoons said:
I love Saved By The Bell on Cartoon Network now. You mad!

Me too! I think it's awesome, I watched it last night. :)

To the people with negative opinions about it: Did you not enjoy Saved by the Bell as a child? I was so excited to see it being aired at a decent time again.

Cartoon Network has severely disappointed me in the past few years. First they became the offical, un-offcial anime channel, and it's just gone downhill from there.

Thank God for Boomerang.

Congradulations Timstuff you've created the 100 thread about channels not staying true to their original purpose, pick up your prize at the search for similar subjects option.

AndThePickles said:

To the people with negative opinions about it: Did you not enjoy Saved by the Bell as a child? I was so excited to see it being aired at a decent time again.

There's a seriouse problem though--

It's not animated!

When you have a name like "Cartoon Network", the last show you expect to see on is Saved by the freakin' bell!

in Sci Fi channels defense the soap it is showing does have Sci fi themes in it

roach said:
in Sci Fi channels defense the soap it is showing does have Sci fi themes in it
and it once aired the first supernatural soap DARK SHADOWS

AndThePickles said:

12:30 am is decent? I can't stay up that late.

Passions has as a main character a witch and a doll that animates at her command

Lazlo Panaflex said:
12:30 am is decent? I can't stay up that late.

It comes on at midnight, and I'm always still awake then. I don't mind the lateness because I have either classes or homework to do during the day. But yeah, I guess for younger people it wouldn't be the best time.

Maybe in a few weeks we'll all be watching Dumb and Dumber on the Discovery Channel.

And "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle" on C-SPAN

Took you this long to figure it out?

It's been awful since they dropped the Saturday Night Anime, MST3K, Babylon 5, Farscape, The Twilight Zone, The original Outer Limits, so they can show the latest "Grade Z movie that pisses on the legacy of sci-fi while making every Hulk Hogan movie look like Oscar calibre material"

Sci-Fi channel is a joke

Yeah Sci-Fi used to show Manimal and if it's one thing the world needs is more Manimal!

they should also bring back their cartoon block.

Lazlo Panaflex said:
Yeah Sci-Fi used to show Manimal and if it's one thing the world needs is more Manimal!

they should also bring back their cartoon block.
rambo, skysurfer strike force and double dragon
i remember then tho i could never figure out why rambo was on sci fi

Sci-Fi channel definately sucks now. They apparently have a very low opinion of their viewers as well, seeing as their evening schedual is cluttered with lame "reality shows" about paranormal investigators and alien conspiracies. And their original programming sucks too.

Cartoon Network reall irritates me though. What the crap is a teenibopper sitcom doing on during the midnight timeslot on a channel dedicated to animation? It's CARTOON NETWORK. So why is a LIVE ACTION SITCOM on it? It makes me want to barf almost as much as The Man Show being on G4.

Heh, who else remembers when Sci-Fi channel used to show cartoons on Saturday morning? Ewoks, Thundercats, Bionic 6, Transformers, etc.

Colossal Spoons said:
Heh, who else remembers when Sci-Fi channel used to show cartoons on Saturday morning? Ewoks, Thundercats, Bionic 6, Transformers, etc.
Saturday morning cartoons is a dead art.:(

I think the Cartoon Network definitely has issues, when it cancels JLU and the new He-Man, but shovels its own original, lame cartoons.

The Sci-fi channel Saturday movies are cheesy and bad, in a Drive-In sort of way. I can't be too mad at that. Also, Passions does have some fantasy elements which makes it different from a regular soap. But man does it suck.

I do wish Sci-fi would get back to showing Babylon 5, Crusade, Farscape on a regular basis. How about putting shows like SeaQuest, Earth 2, Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, War of the Worlds, Space Above and Beyond, Friday the 13th: The Series, V: The Series, the Hulk, X-Files, Buck Rogers, Old Battlestar Galactica, Forever Knight, Invisible Man, The First Wave into regular rotation?

Other genre shows I would like to see on Sci-Fi: Get Odyssey 5, Surface, Threshold, Prey, VR5, The Visitor, The Tick, Alf, Mork & Mindy, Legend, Brisco County, Jr., MANTIS, Century City, Mercy Point, Wolf Lake, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Land of the Lost, Werewolf, Nightstalker, Kindred: The Embraced, Brimstone, Captain Power, Superforce, Ultraman, Highlander: The Series, Highlander: The Raven, The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, G Vs. E, The Dead Zone, Space: 1999, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, The Wild Wild West, Get Smart, Men from UNCLE, Mission Impossible, Nowhere Man.

There have been so many sci-fi/horror shows over the years. I would like it to become a true repository of sci-fi offerings.

DarKush said:
I think the Cartoon Network definitely has issues, when it cancels JLU and the new He-Man, but shovels its own original, lame cartoons.

The Sci-fi channel Saturday movies are cheesy and bad, in a Drive-In sort of way. I can't be too mad at that. Also, Passions does have some fantasy elements which makes it different from a regular soap. But man does it suck.

I do wish Sci-fi would get back to showing Babylon 5, Crusade, Farscape on a regular basis. How about putting shows like SeaQuest, Earth 2, Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, War of the Worlds, Space Above and Beyond, Friday the 13th: The Series, V: The Series, the Hulk, X-Files, Buck Rogers, Old Battlestar Galactica, Forever Knight, Invisible Man, The First Wave into regular rotation?

Other genre shows I would like to see on Sci-Fi: Get Odyssey 5, Surface, Threshold, Prey, VR5, The Visitor, The Tick, Alf, Mork & Mindy, Legend, Brisco County, Jr., MANTIS, Century City, Mercy Point, Wolf Lake, Six Million Dollar Man, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Land of the Lost, Werewolf, Nightstalker, Kindred: The Embraced, Brimstone, Captain Power, Superforce, Ultraman, Highlander: The Series, Highlander: The Raven, The Crow: Stairway to Heaven, G Vs. E, The Dead Zone, Space: 1999, Blake's 7, Red Dwarf, The Wild Wild West, Get Smart, Men from UNCLE, Mission Impossible, Nowhere Man.

There have been so many sci-fi/horror shows over the years. I would like it to become a true repository of sci-fi offerings.
you are telling the truth there

Is there a letter campaign or something to get rid of this live action crap off Comedy Central? Snail mail still brings a decent responce from TV executives because it's more hard evidence to show people your not happy with their decisions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"