Why DC won't give Lobo his own movie

TMC1982

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://www.looper.com/30696/dc-wont-give-lobo-movie/

If you don't know Lobo, he's basically a mashup of Superman and Wolverine: an immortal, unkillable alien that happens to have super senses, a crazy healing factor, and a penchant for beer and cigars. Lobo's most ardent fans have waited years for The Main Man (as he calls himself) to make the jump to the silver screen. These hopes were further stoked when 20th Century Fox's vulgar, violent Deadpool ended up being a blockbuster smash at home and abroad. However, while Lobo has been able to escape actual Hell in the comics, his flick is never going to escape development hell. Here's why DC and Warner Bros. will never give Lobo his own movie.

• Too redundant

Too vulgar

Too misogynistic

That whole genocide thing

Animal cruelty

No chemistry

Religious objections

Inconsistent power level

Design throwback

Why so serious?

Last I heard Lobo's got a script writer in Jason Fuchs. No idea on current progress but Deadpool was already a hard R comic book movie with nudity, swearing, and violence. And it made a bunch of cash.

If you go too far with the exploitative elements, you don't have to worry about "seriousness" (whatever this means nowadays). It becomes a good comedy/parody/satire.

Given that they've done such a terrible job this year with their flagship heroes and their B-list villains, should they really try for a Lobo film ? I mean, I'd be risk averse too if fans and critics had lambasted their last two big films.

But I suppose another way of looking at it is, "at least they can't do worse!" so why not ?

Who knows ? I've been wrong about every cbm this year, so maybe Lobo could break the drought. I mean, as long as they totally play him for laughs, like the original Lobo series in 1991.....well, violent demented laughs, but laughs nonetheless ( Issue # 3, the Spelling Bee, F@#$#ing hilarious !).
There's a lot of potential there for Lobo to be an action-packed and enjoyable film.

Personally, I think Matthew Vaughn would be the man to do this one - he's shown a real talent with ultraviolence and humour ( e.g. Kick ash and Kingsman - hell, that Church scene still makes me laugh and cringe at the same time).

If DC could give a guy like Vaughn creative control and the financial backing, I bet he could do a great job. Anyway, that's just IMO !

If Lobo had his own film then who should play him

Good question, he'd have to be freaking huge, or done CGI with Mo-cap.

Maybe they should do a Lobo DC animated film (with lots of gratuitous violence, and an R rating) just to test the waters.

I mean, Lobo reminds me of characters straight out of "Heavy Metal" so a film with him as the lead character could be a bit like that (great animated film !).

As for live action......tough to say. If done with mo-cap, could be anyone who can sound convincingly tough. Ron Perlman maybe.

Actually, Ron Perlman could probably do it live action with makeup, although he is getting a bit old.

Tom Hardy could pull it off for certain. Sadly, Michael Clarke Duncan could hav e done it.

Dave Bautista certainly could have been Lobo (but for GOTG).

Jason Statham could do it (if you can imagine Lobo with a gravelly cockney accent) but he is a little bit short.

Okay, what about Gerard Butler - got the voice for it, and could definitely regain his 300 physique, and does anti-heroes well.

Jason Momoa would have been a perfect Lobo but he's now our badass Aquaman.

With someone like Kevin Grevioux, lots of make-up, and forced perspective, the character wouldn't even need much CGI.

Jason Momoa would have been a perfect Lobo but he's now our badass Aquaman.

Yeah, he's got the look - but he's not particularly funny, and Lobo has to be able to deliver a line which gets a laugh (because he's killed someone in an entertaining way).

While JM would totally look the part, I found him incredibly boring as Conan. He just doesn't have the acting chops to carry a film IMO.

But who knows, after JL I might think differently.

Cheers.

I would say Vin Diesel he could pull off Lobo but if not him how about Norman Reedus

I figured we would have something new with Lobo by now. Especially given the success of Deadpool. I can think of three things in recent times that Lobo was suppose to have that ended up canceled. The latest one was the Krypton spin-off series. Which I wasn't really crazy about the actor that played him. Those DC animated shorts they did that they included with the blu rays of new animated films, he was suppose to have one. And the Guy Ritchie movie that seems to have never panned out.

It was nice to see him in the newest animated movie "Superman: Man of Tomorrow" and yhe voice actor was decent enough, but Brad Garrett (Superman: TAS) really gave me the voice I hear when I read his comics haha

It kind of is a little disappointing that Momoa is playing Aquaman when he would be absolutely PERFECT for Lobo. Dude straight up looks like him and his Aquabro character in his solo film (which I prefer over his always-angry jerk character in the Snyder Cut) almost feels like Lobo in the Ocean (#LobOcean). What’s done is done but if a multiverse exists I have to believe that Momoa is playing Lobo on some alternate Earth.

Watching Brooklyn 99 (great show) and Terry Crews has to play Lobo. Come on, just do a HBO Max Lobo movie already. They literally first announced plans for a Lobo movie in 2008.

I don’t agree. We’re going on Avengers 5. We’re getting characters like Shang Chi, Ironheart, and Echo in their own shows or movies. Lobo is more interesting than any of these characters combined. The time is now. Do an ultra violent HBO Max film. Let Gunn direct. He was born for this!

Karl Urban please:

05822224262c5540a30ee8a090a9a9b6.gif

Lobo was originally a joke. He’s an over the top caricature meant to represent everything wrong with comics fans’ expectations. His popularity is irony incarnate.

I don’t agree. We’re going on Avengers 5. We’re getting characters like Shang Chi, Ironheart, and Echo in their own shows or movies. Lobo is more interesting than any of these characters combined. The time is now. Do an ultra violent HBO Max film. Let Gunn direct. He was born for this!

That's Marvel, we're talking DC and they got a SLEW of characters that havent made it to the big screen that deserve to do so.

That's Marvel, we're talking DC and they got a SLEW of characters that havent made it to the big screen that deserve to do so.
Yep. And Lobo is one of them. Near the top of the list. Give him a HBO Max movie.

Agreed. If Lobo were to get a movie before Fourth World or Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, there would be no justice in this world.

Agreed. If Lobo were to get a movie before Fourth World or Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, there would be no justice in this world.
Look at WB/DC’s track record for the last 30 years you would already know there is no justice in this world. Jonah Hex and Green Lantern got movies before Wonder Woman. Also, Lobo was created before Booster Gold.

Lobo would be an awesome movie. They should’ve made a Lobo movie ten years ago when they first tried to.

Terry Crews for Lobo. James Gunn should direct!

Last edited:
Look at WB/DC’s track record for the last 30 years you would already know there is no justice in this world. Jonah Hex and Green Lantern got movies before Wonder Woman.

upload_2021-8-21_23-43-59.gif

Lobo would be an awesome movie. They should’ve made a Lobo movie ten years ago when they first tried to.

Terry Crews for Lobo. James Gunn should direct!
upload_2021-8-21_23-41-23.gif upload_2021-8-21_23-41-41.gif

The key difference between Deadpool and Lobo, IMO:

Deadpool is popular with people, who realize he is a joke.

Lobo is popular with people, who *don't* realize he is a joke.

WB doesn’t care if people get the character or not. Like you said, he’s popular with people. It doesn’t matter if he’s popular ironically or not. Popular equals $$$.

He’s an exaggeration and realization of all the unreasonable expectations comic book fans have. He can be enjoyed ironically or unironically. This gatekeeping attitude where you have to ‘get’ the character to properly enjoy him is silly. He’s hilarious and could easily carry his own film. In fact I enjoy reading Lobo far more than Deadpool. Harley has been turned into DC’s Deadpool, but Lobo works better in that role.

I have always enjoyed over the top action and violence. I also understand that Lobo is making fun of all that. He can be enjoyed ironically and unironically. I think the fans get this…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"