Why did He Scream at the End?

bluearth

Civilian
Reaction score
It wasnt because the family died, they can be seen leaving after Zod died in a quick cut

Is this a joke?

It was because Zod forced him to kill. Plus you could say Superman is responsible for himself being the Last Kryptonian.

The answer to this question is so ridiculously obvious that it need not even be answered seriously.

Why is it not serious?

My sister thinks its because he knows hes all alone now (last Kryptonian) while others might believe hes simply sad about taking a life. It may be a combination of things but what is the biggest reason in your mind

He was upset at the Rotten Tomatoes score.

Hey, why not ask ? Nothing wrong with questions that seem obvious,
there might be more to them than you think.

Personally, I think it was a mixture of reasons, rather than just one.

I think it was certainly being forced to kill (in general), but also being forced
to kill the last Kryptonian.

When Clark first sees Zod after the crash, and Zod's just about in tears
the look on Clark's face is sympathy, not anger over the destruction that
Zod's caused, he knows that Zod has lost everything, and he feels for him,
because in a way, he's lost it too.

All in all, there were a lot of emotions there, I thought the scream was a
good choice - shows that he's not some remorseless machine, he actually cares, even about Zod.

:super:

Why is it not serious?

My sister thinks its because he knows hes all alone now (last Kryptonian) while others might believe hes simply sad about taking a life. It may be a combination of things but what is the biggest reason in your mind

both of those.

But let's also not forget, he screamed because he lost. Zod stated to Superman this would end with either his own or Superman's death.

Now, obviously to Superman both outcomes are unnacceptable, if someone puts Superman in an impossible situation, he does the impossible. But Zod got what he wanted, he won by making Superman a killer.

The screaming scene is broad on surface, but can be interpreted in a few ways. Most have mentioned already. One reading I liked is that Clark's scream was a feral response to all the tension he built up, not just from killing Zod, but that he's literally been hearing the screams of thousands of people either injured or dead in a city that had a large part of it destroyed. It's a nice call-back to the "the world's too big, mom" scene. Clark is struggling to contain all the thoughts, not until his mom shows up and tells him to focus on her voice, pretending its an island. Clark does the same thing with Lois at end, focusing on her after killing Zod. She was his metaphorical island in that regard. For all his strength, Clark still needs love and caring warmth to keep him focused.

The screaming scene is broad on surface, but can be interpreted in a few ways. Most have mentioned already. One reading I liked is that Clark's scream was a feral response to all the tension he built up, not just from killing Zod, but that he's literally been hearing the screams of thousands of people either injured or dead in a city that had a large part of it destroyed. It's a nice call-back to the "the world's too big, mom" scene. Clark is struggling to contain all the thoughts, not until his mom shows up and tells him to focus on her voice, pretending its an island. Clark does the same thing with Lois at end, focusing on her after killing Zod. She was his metaphorical island in that regard. For all his strength, Clark still needs love and caring warmth to keep him focused.

Good point. Now you point it out, the analogy between the two scenes is clear. Nice.

wow. it's 100%. everybody got it! :)

your theory could have more merit if he was trying hard to close his ears...

your theory could have more merit if he was trying hard to close his ears...

He's a man of steel at that point. It hurts, but he can take it. He's not trying to hide the pain at that point by covering his ears. He's just letting it all out.

It's because he had to kill, obviously.
Teagone, your explanation is beautiful yet I sincerely doubt Snyder and co really put that much thought into it. I would have loved if they had hinted at that in any regard, but they didn't at all so it sort of falls flat.

It's because he had to kill, obviously.
Teagone, your explanation is beautiful yet I sincerely doubt Snyder and co really put that much thought into it. I would have loved if they had hinted at that in any regard, but they didn't at all so it sort of falls flat.

Yeah true. Snyder hasn't been known to have a delicate touch when it comes to subtext, but the nice thing about films is they are a subjective medium. As important as authorial intent is, it's nice when a film has enough substance provided by the filmmakers for someone in the audience to derive their own distinct readings in parallel to what the director/writers had in mind. That's one of the reasons why I enjoy Christopher Nolan's non-Batman films so much more, heh.

Kal at this point, has just taken an act that goes against every moral fibre and all that he stands for that is within him, the moment he snaps that neck, all that Jonathan has taught him guided him on goes with it. The regret, sadness, guilt that the screams represnts is there in that moment. He's been played by Zod and he is also angry at letting himself be in that situation.

I agree with all the above. The scream was a release for him after all the events which had just happened - finding out who he was, 'meeting' his biological father, finding other Kryptonians only to find they were his enemy, saving some people but knowing many others were injured/dead, and finally having to kill Zod. It was a traumatic week for Kal-El!

The scream (in my opinion) was also a nice nod to Superman the Movie, where Reeve lets out a similar roar of anguish at the end after losing Lois. Only, in MOS, Superman hasn't lost Lois but arguably some part of himself by killing for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"