BvS Why do You feel that Superman and Batman are DC's Finest?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
Well since this is a Superman and Batman thread, I thought this would be a good place for me to ask this.

No whether, you’re a fan of Superman or Batman first, or even a fan of both of them equally, it’s somewhat undeniable that these two heroes are the two biggest/strongest foundations of the whole DC Universe when it comes to their lineup of heroes.

My question for everyone here is why do you personally feel that out of all of the heroes that DC has to offer, why is it that Superman and Batman are considered to be the top two of them all? What makes them so special and above the rest to you guys? Is it because of what they represent to people or how they've been marketed and portrayed within the media?

This isn’t about who’s better between Superman and Batman, but more about why you feel they’re considered the best and better than the rest.

I'd say a lot of it comes from their being the first two superheroes as we know them today, and both represent a very different kind of superhero than the other, they've influenced every single comic book hero that's come since, including Marvel's heroes. They've both been around since the late 30's, and in that time the S shield and Bat symbol have become two of the most recognized symbols in the world, the same cannot be said for any other superhero except maybe Spider-Man.

I dunno they are the most famous and well known 2. By a long way.

If you asked your average 8 year old American kid, about 99% would know who Batman and Superman are. Ask them who Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman and Aqua Man are, and I doubt many would.

Batman and Superman resonate with people so much because they embody the ideals we hold closest to our hearts. Doing the right thing, even if it costs them something, gives readers a warm squishy feeling. Watching them muddle through challenging times, and triumphing when all odds are against them brings us hope. And the ability to make a difference to the world in large and small ways endears them to us.

What makes them such a great team is of course, the dichotomy of light and dark personalities that have so much in common. Instead of being polar opposites, they are oddly harmonious; two men who have faced tragedy and immense challenges, both of whom strive to make the world (and the universe!) a better, safer place for everyone.

And when you really break the characters down, they have the same heart. Bravery, strength, and intelligence are their tools, but the foundation in every action they take is love. It's sappy and almost silly, but it fills a void so many of us feel in every day interactions.

The reason people go back to Batman and Superman over and over is because we all long for a hero in our lives, and we all want to be that hero too. When they aren't flying around, beating up bad guys, they do charity work too. Clark uses his skills to write about the truth, and to fight injustices with words. Bruce uses his wealth and privilege to help others.

Plus, yeah, ok, Batman and Superman are generally just cool. Swooping in, saving the day with cool gadgets or nifty super powers....we all love that too. ;)

On a more personal note, Superman was my first comic book love, and he's still my favorite. He was a big deal in the foster home, since he was adopted too. If he could grow up to do great things, then maybe we could too! Some of my earliest memories are of the kids in my home tying whatever bits of fabric we could into capes, and zooming around the house like we were superheroes.

Hope. Joy. Love. Awesomeness. Bad-assery. Intelligence. What isn't there to love about Batman and Superman?

The only thing that has to be put up to justify the WORLD'S FINEST moniker is the page from KINGDOM COME where the Spectre shows the pastor the covers to Action #1 Detective #27. Those images and the text say it all.

There's a lot that goes into that really. They are the most revered characters in quite possibly the history of the medium. They are also the most generally well-known characters and will continue to be so for years to come. You can ask any kid, teen, or adult who probably haven't picked up a single comic in their life and they are aware of the impact of the characters Batman and Superman. We can (arguably) resonate with them more than any other character(s).

I think it's their character. In my opinion, Clark Kent/Superman and Bruce Wayne/Batman have been so well crafted.

I would say mostly because they were the ones that came first and really broke the mold. At this point they're beyond characters, they've become archetypes.

When you think "superhero", you think Superman.
When you think "crime fighter", you think Batman.

They aren't just the finest DC characters, they are the finest superheroes in general. Superman is superheroes superherom, he will always be the greatest and he is the first modern hero. Batman is the first of the modern "human superhero" and their enduring legacies and appeal is what makes them so great.

What makes them great together for me is their amazing similarities and dichotomies. People are often seen as stating they "can't relate to Superman, because of his many powers. Batman is easier to relate to because he is human". Now this is true, Batman is merely human, and a bullet could kill him, whereas it would bounce off Superman's chest. But Clark Kent has a job, boss, office jock, nerdy friend, wife, family and dog. Bruce Wayne is a billionaire, has a butler, dates several movie stars and models at the same time, buys hotels, drives sports cars and flies private jets. Both of them are both so ordinary and unbelievable at once.

But their similarities are just as striking, both of them began their journeys as heroes because of experiences with their parents, the guidance shown from the Kents and the philanthropy of the Waynes.

I could go on and on but for me, in the context of a Superman/Batman movie I think they're the greatest because "Batman fights death. Superman fights the impossible".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"