Why do you read comics?

DoomRulz

A guy that comes and goes
Reaction score
Pretty self-explanatory.

I see and hear all the nonsense and stupidity in the real world...at least in comic books something gets done about it. They're my escape from reality I guess.

I read comics so I can ***** about them on the internet.

I read them cuz they hooked me when I was young I suppose.
I never liked to be too grounded in reality, so any excuse leave it seems good to me.

I....I don't know.

i guess....because I like to read...but reading with pictures is easier

I read comics because I read a lot. For me, comics are a natural extension of my habbits.

I consider myself lucky that I got into comics late. I started about three or four years ago, and spent a lot of money to "catch up" but I had the advantage of skimming the creme, lurking boards like Hype and CBR helped me avoid bad ones, and even average ones. Of course, I ended up with a lot of average comics, and bad comics! I was never beaten over the head month to month when I was just getting into comics. Because I most likely would've stopped reading them.

Case in point: I read Witchblade (way before Marz, so it's been a while!), Fathom, and Chaos! Comics back when Chaos was in it's prime, back when Hughes was drawing Lady Death. But Chaos and Top Cow are precisely why I wasn't into comics. I picked those up whenever I went into my store, but it wasn't a habbit. Wanted and DKR convinced me to give the medium a real try. And I've been in it ever since.

It's either read comics or touch myself. At least I feel less guilty with the comics... but not by much.:o

Why do I read them?

What else would I do with them?

Actually don't answer that.

i lke super -heroes always have aways will

Why not just ask me why I watch T.V., play video games, watch movies, read books, listen to music, ect.? You'll get the same answer.

Why not just ask me why I watch T.V., play video games, watch movies, read books, listen to music, ect.? You'll get the same answer.

When you think about it, this is a telling statement about how our society functions. There's so many crucial things happening in the political realm, things that affect our lives, pertinent things, but we've got all these distractions to keep us from ever really focusing.

Its the perfect combo of all entertainment. You have art and lit in one form.

When you think about it, this is a telling statement about how our society functions. There's so many crucial things happening in the political realm, things that affect our lives, pertinent things, but we've got all these distractions to keep us from ever really focusing.

No, see...THAT's the problem with why I'm not reading Marvel at the moment as much as I used to. I need to get away from the really real world from time to time for my own sanity. Marvel has been too close to real issues these days, which if I wanted I could just turn on the news or read a newspaper.

You have GOT to turn your brain off from time to time or you'll lose your freaking mind. If I sat and thought about the state of affairs these days all day, I'd climb the clock tower.

Now...watching TV or reading comics all day is just as bad, but that's where balance comes in. There's a time for politics and a time for watching a man fly unassisted.

When I want pure escapist fun, I find it more these days in the Image books I read then in the Marvel books I read. Image creators just want to tella good story it seems. Marvel's certainly got an agenda to stay "relevant" and have ripped-from-the-headlines type stories.

I have an evil monkey on my back that makes me read them

I read comics so I can ***** about them on the internet.

best answer ever!

but seriously
I collect and read comics with artists that i respect, characters that i either grew up with, or enjoy (traits, costume, mission, personality...)
and writers that can keep things interesting.

Because they don't make Spider-Man Underoos in my size.

I initally begged my parents to buy them for me as a child just because the images in them were the coolest things I'd ever seen. They were like a cartoon I could rewatch over and over again.
Then again, some of it had to do with escapism. I mean, what fat six-year-old kid with glasses doesn't want to be like Billy Batson and change into a tall, handsome powerful man whenever they want to? Captain Marvel has always been my favorite(I'm a DC guy) for this sole reason. I could relate to Billy Batson as a geeky kid growing up in Indiana(where Fawcett City is). Hell, Captain Marvel and I have the same freakin' initials, for Christ's sake.

The only problem now is whenever I wear my Captain Marvel 'lightning-bolt-logo' T-shirt, everyone thinks I'm the Flash......

I don't know, i'm thinking about taking a break from comics for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"