Why do you read comics?

I was raised in "the hood", Los Angeles-Inglewood, Ca., to be exact in the 70's right before all the big gang violence. I was picked on, bullied and in fear a lot. On the other hand, my father would threaten and deride me for not standing up and fighting back; his father was a real intimadator; comics were an escape for me...

I was raised in "the hood", Los Angeles-Inglewood, Ca., to be exact in the 70's right before all the big gang violence. I was picked on, bullied and in fear a lot. On the other hand, my father would threaten and deride me for not standing up and fighting back; his father was a real intimadator; comics were an escape for me...

:dry::ninja:

Was Captain America a role model for you at all?

it's a form of escapism with some decent stories thrown in.
nice violent scenes as well while being able to really admire some really great artwork and storytelling

Okay, I guess I'll do a serious answer. I reached six foot tall before I got out of grade school, so I could never deal with situations with physical violence because I'd look like the bully. I think I like superheroes because they get to beat the hell out of people who deserve it. Spider-Man was always my favorite because I was smart (despite my ADD) and while I wasn't picked on physically, I did get teased mercilessly

Okay, I guess I'll do a serious answer. I reached six foot tall before I got out of grade school, so I could never deal with situations with physical violence because I'd look like the bully. I think I like superheroes because they get to beat the hell out of people who deserve it. Spider-Man was always my favorite because I was smart (despite my ADD) and while I wasn't picked on physically, I did get teased mercilessly

Amen to that dude.

I kinda felt the reverse of that. I was picked on a lot when I was in elementary school, not due to physical size or anything. I don't even know why. Ghost Rider was my favourite (and still is) because of the Penance Stare...there are so many people in this world who deserve it it's unbelievable.

Glad to see I'm not alone. I don't know, I just don't have the drive I used to when it comes to comics. It seems I buy them out of habit sometimes.

Yea,I hear ya.I tend to get that feeling with some books,when I do I drop them.

I also make sure that I only go after trades I actually want to read or are interested in.

Amen to that dude.

I kinda felt the reverse of that. I was picked on a lot when I was in elementary school, not due to physical size or anything. I don't even know why. Ghost Rider was my favourite (and still is) because of the Penance Stare...there are so many people in this world who deserve it it's unbelievable.

It's also why Skyfire was my favorite Transformer. He was the biggest Autobot, but he was a thinker not a fighter.

They are interesting to see what a world with powers would be like. and honestly how many of us would love to have the powers they had? And you gotta admit just once you wish you could "hulk out" and you wish you could walk into your school and yell "I'm the juggernaut *****"

They are interesting to see what a world with powers would be like. and honestly how many of us would love to have the powers they had? And you gotta admit just once you wish you could "hulk out" and you wish you could walk into your school and yell "I'm the juggernaut *****"

Seconded. I just want the Penance Stare :ghost:

I love comics because they allow me to IMAGINE far-out scenarios and fascinating characters. I love how complex the MArvel universe is especially; there are alternate versions of characters, different continuities, etc.

(See the map I made, at http://marvelmap.blogspot.com to see how large it really is.)

I love the marriage of text and images for effect, and some of the art is so breathtakingly good ---- I can't even BEGIN to imagine what it's like to be as talented as someone like Romita, Byrne, Buscema or Kirby. (Say what you will, people, his run on Fantastic Four is a cherished favourite)

Most of all, I like the fact that different authors and artists are allowed to have different visions of the same characters! What if everyone was allowed to write Sherlock Holmes stories back in the day, and not just Conan Doyle? How many different takes would there have been?

It's just incredible how much I love comics!

thinking about what Darth and Anubis said,I think a day does come for all us fanboys where we question why we read these things and become so passionate about them,as with anything other hobby or past time,it's only natural

right now I'm in a state where I'm actually excited for books and storylines to come out,and I think that as long as I have that excitement still within my loins,I'll keep reading

I read comics (mainly Marvel) because it is entertaining, it lets me escape into a different world, give's me a fun hobby (collecting).

I guess for the adventures of beings with powers that fall into imaginary land.

At least three times a day. Get a good callus going.

Hey, what you do with a sock, a roll of quarters, and a bucket of goose grease is your business sicko.

I read them for entertainment, but there's also the idea that I'm studying the art form because I want to be involved as either a writer or a penciler in the comic creating process. Sometimes I do it for research on a class paper. To me, comics are like a modern mythology that we all get to witness and when the next civilization comes they can look at the wonderful cast of characters inspired by the age we lived in. I read them because I'm human and this is something we've been doing since we lived in caves.

i come from other era. in my young years was 70and 80, video game was expensive and boring( atari 2600 yeurk! ) comic was cheap and cool10 and15 cent sometime 25 cent it was the golden age of comic book

i remember the dead of gwen stacy and green goblin , captain america and the falcon, i read the creation of vision or whene carole danver have lost her power over rogue the first appenrence of wolverine versus the hulk haaaaaaaaaa! this was the good old age heys i am 38

and you know what! woman of my age find man how read comic are sexy, because women find , we keep inside our heart a child side. woman love whene man have light side.

i say keep reading comic boy
woman find thats sexy! but not to much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"