Why does everyone hate The Batman?

I

Infinity

It's a pretty good show, not as good as Batman: TAS but so what? The fight scenes are much better. Batman's movements are also much more acrobatic, which I like.

Wow, you really set yourself up with this topic Infinity, lol.

You know, I enjoy both BTAS and The Batman. There are aspects of both that I love. I think that fans can get attached to one certain style, concept and level of storytelling and then can't accept anything different.

Also, a lot of fans are younger, and don't remember the broad history of Batman in animation, ALL of which was a little more light-hearted pre-BTAS (ie: SuperFriends and Filmation's Batman)

I love ALL things Batman, from Adam West to Christian Bale. Doesn't matter much to me...as long as the important elements are there.

i'll admit, at first i was pretty closed minded about The Batman. After giving it some time i have come to enjoy the show. Its not my number 1 pick for animated incarnations but its still a decent Batman representation. Remember, if TAS was continued or copied it wouldnt be classic.

I like the action but the new designs on most of the characters suck

I have a lot of reasons why I dislike The Batman. And these are my opinions why:

1) The character redesigns. The Joker as a Rastafarian, Bane as a big red thug, and The Riddler.....it amazes me where they got the idea to use Marilyn Manson as a inspiration for him. There's absolutely no roots at all in the comics, and I don't see how this is an improvement.
2) I seriously question the goals of the series. I've watched about 8 episodes. I've seen all of the designs. There just haven't been any standout tales unlike B:TAS. I think this series was made to solely sell toys.
3) Of course, the Batman ban on all series but this one. Ugh.

I think the show is decent, but its effects (Bat-embargo) is what bothers me the most. The fact that characters that they dont even use cant be used on JLU especially bother me.

But the thing is, the stories themselves arent good. They're average stories with half assed characterization. This show has potential to be great (its DTV is on par with the best BTAS stories), but most of the time it chooses to showcase the Joker or their terrible matrix Penguin with mixed results. Plus, for the most part, the character designs themselves are awful.

I haven't watched The Batman.

Perhaps I will watch it.

I just hate it cuz it restricts the use of batman characters in the JLU universe

I can totally understand frustration about the "bat-embargo". Keep in mind, though, thats a suit descision, not one by the show's creative teams. Hence why it makes no sense, lol Its not really the shows fault.

I don't think anyone can question that BTAS/TNBA/JLU is epic. It is the absolute best incarnation of Batman in animation...but its not, nor should it be, the ONLY incarnation. Since that show is over and wasn't coming back..I'm all for somethin' new.

The batman is a bastardization of the history of batman. Character designs suck. Making the villians all hyper active(ex penguin). Penguin is not a kung fu expert. No motive behind the jokers antics. He does stuff just to be doing it.(bat in the belfry) No pacing at all in the show.

1. Bruce Wayne looks like Jackie Chan.

2. I like Batman suit and the Batmobile.

3. The Riddler looks like a freak too much like Marilyn Manson not that I hate Manson.

4. Joker looks like freak without his purple suit and give him some ****ing shoes

5. Penguin has a ginger hair it's ok tho

6.Catwoman- I like but ears too long.

7. Batgirl was totally wasn't need.

The Batman has crisper fight scenes, but I agree with lionhart, the redesigns are lame.

Guys, I love The Batman. JLU is there too, but I love TB as well.

Sure its made for a younger audience, but the characters, despite its redesigns and change in character, still are protrayed like the villians they are:

Joker is a threat, he steals and uses devices that are very bizarre but are very dangerous like the gun to make people into playing cards. They go into a state that once they go into water, they'll drown. Since he turned Bennett into Clayface, Joker has become Batman's greatest enemy.

Penguin wants to be rich and powerful. Like Matsuda said, he is an anti-Bruce Wayne, which makes him more an enemy to Bruce, than Batman. He also wants to own the city, but what makes him have more substance, I believe is the term, is that he wants to return his family's anme back into glory. So he has a mission as well.

Catwoman. I mean do we have a problem. Last time I checked; no. Even she is the same character we all love.

Bane has been only seen once, but he's still shown to use vemon to make him stronger and a dangerous threat to both Bruce Wayne and Batman. I loved Traction because if you think about it, it was based on Knightfall.

Man-Bat is basically a huge, deadly vampire bat that while it wasn't shown, sucked blood from several mammals in its first appearence. His design is frightening.

Mr. Freeze is a mutated man-monster that has powers on a zero-degree level. People have complained that he's nothing like his BTAS version, but these characters are suppose to be based on their comic incarnations. And guess what: and comic and TB versions of Freeze are the same! Both tragic in some degree, but a villian.

Was anyone glad that Firefly wasn't a villian in degree like Penguin but a work for hire? I was.

Wesker and Scarface, dual identites from a ventriloquist and his dummy. No problem there.

Clayface was tragic and more better than his BTAS design. Nothing wrong there.

And the Riddler, he was creepy. Nothing like the '60s version nor the BTAS. That was great.

Basically you know, hopfully, where I'm going with this. No matter how much has changed from these characters into the show of The Batman, they still have their traits, they are them no matter what.

As for stories and elements in the show: blood red sky, the comics and even BTAS in a sense had something of a green/blue sky. Highlighted episodes: Traction, Rubberface of Comedy, Clayface of Tragedy, Riddled, Meltdown, Strange Minds, The Laughing Bat, how about The Batman vs. Dracula.

Get it?

I'm all for new incarnations of the Bat as long as they don't suck. The Batman isn't horrible, it's OK and I check it out when I can.

I just hate that stupid new theme they put in. Bring back the original.

I think for a book or a show to be good... there has to be a good story no matter what if the art or animation is great or horribly bad.

Binker said:
Guys, I love The Batman. JLU is there too, but I love TB as well.

Sure its made for a younger audience, but the characters, despite its redesigns and change in character, still are protrayed like the villians they are:

Joker is a threat, he steals and uses devices that are very bizarre but are very dangerous like the gun to make people into playing cards. They go into a state that once they go into water, they'll drown. Since he turned Bennett into Clayface, Joker has become Batman's greatest enemy.

Penguin wants to be rich and powerful. Like Matsuda said, he is an anti-Bruce Wayne, which makes him more an enemy to Bruce, than Batman. He also wants to own the city, but what makes him have more substance, I believe is the term, is that he wants to return his family's anme back into glory. So he has a mission as well.

Catwoman. I mean do we have a problem. Last time I checked; no. Even she is the same character we all love.

Bane has been only seen once, but he's still shown to use vemon to make him stronger and a dangerous threat to both Bruce Wayne and Batman. I loved Traction because if you think about it, it was based on Knightfall.

Man-Bat is basically a huge, deadly vampire bat that while it wasn't shown, sucked blood from several mammals in its first appearence. His design is frightening.

Mr. Freeze is a mutated man-monster that has powers on a zero-degree level. People have complained that he's nothing like his BTAS version, but these characters are suppose to be based on their comic incarnations. And guess what: and comic and TB versions of Freeze are the same! Both tragic in some degree, but a villian.

Was anyone glad that Firefly wasn't a villian in degree like Penguin but a work for hire? I was.

Wesker and Scarface, dual identites from a ventriloquist and his dummy. No problem there.

Clayface was tragic and more better than his BTAS design. Nothing wrong there.

And the Riddler, he was creepy. Nothing like the '60s version nor the BTAS. That was great.

Basically you know, hopfully, where I'm going with this. No matter how much has changed from these characters into the show of The Batman, they still have their traits, they are them no matter what.

As for stories and elements in the show: blood red sky, the comics and even BTAS in a sense had something of a green/blue sky. Highlighted episodes: Traction, Rubberface of Comedy, Clayface of Tragedy, Riddled, Meltdown, Strange Minds, The Laughing Bat, how about The Batman vs. Dracula.

Get it?

Clearly, you have no grasp at what the Batman villians are all about.

1. The designs suck.

2. The show doesn't take itself seriously most of the time. Honestly if they did, the show would be on par with the Batman vs. Dracula which was totally awesome.

3. The Bat-Embargo on Justice League Unlimited.

4. Most of the voices suck except for Robert Englund's voice for the Riddler.

5. The puns, oh god the puns.

6. Batgirl, before Robin. Yes I can understand the Titan-Embargo that took into effect, but Teen Titans was going to go off the air way before the Batman would. They should have waited to introduce her AFTER obtaining the rights to Robin. Having Robin's interaction with Batgirl would have been great to see.

7. The Penguin

8. The Penguin

9. The Penguin

10. Did I mention that the Batman's version of the Penguin totally sucks. God, why the hell do they keep using him. :mad:

Darthphere said:

I've been a fan of Batman since I was three, I think I know PLENTY.

I think Alfred's and Bruce's relationship came off better in BTAS than the Batman.

Darthphere said:

What makes a villain special? Does he have to have an emphasis on superpowers and appearance, or does he have to be a deep character all on his own?

Personally, I'd pick the latter. The one villain I truly cared about in this series was Clayface, and it's a shame he doesn't get more fleshing of his character aside for a measly couple of episodes last season.

I also think that Batman/Bruce Wayne has a static type of character. I'm still surprised that he doesn't seem to care that his best friend, Ethan Bennett, became a horribly misfigured monster because of the Joker. You'd think Bruce would have a grudge against the Joker, but alas, the writers don't seem to care.

I hope Clayface resurfaces more this season, instead of Joker and Penguin, who aren't even motivated characters to begin with.

What do you guys think?

Binker said:

Is that supposed to make me respect you or something? You may have been reading since 3 but you have no understanding of the Batman villains.

Binker said:

Given what you wrote, you dont know squat boy.

This cartoon has many problems that have been outlined. I liked Batman vs. Dracula alot more than any episode, and it's sad that it could perform better if it was more serious and respected the Rogues Gallery more.

It aint got nothing on BTAS.

hippie_hunter said:
7. The Penguin

8. The Penguin

9. The Penguin

10. Did I mention that the Batman's version of the Penguin totally sucks. God, why the hell do they keep using him. :mad:

Actually, he looks pretty good to me.10 times better then the others :o

Look, we can argue all we like. But, these guys working on TB like the darker version of Batman. From that, that means that they are the right guys to do this. Plus, if you guys love TBvD than the show. So the real people you should be going after is the TV people: the FCC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"