Why doesn't Marvel film more in Canada?

mclay18

Avenger
Reaction score
I know Marvel Studios primarily shoots out of Atlanta and the UK but isn't it cheaper to film in Canada? Not just the exchange rate but tax credits, more VFX houses in the area, closer proximity to California compared to Atlanta or the UK...

They shot The Incredible Hulk in Canada, but that was it. Did they want to avoid the same 'look' in terms of locations the Fox-Men movies did?

Because they could never top this.

Because Toronto can pass for Chicago but not New York city, and it rains too much in Vancouver?

Parts of Man of Steel were shot in Canada, look how that worked out.

I remember the scenes in Incredible Hulk that are obviously U of T, they just look a bit wrong.

Probably something to do with unions ( both American and Canadian).

Parts of Man of Steel were shot in Canada, look how that worked out.

Most of the Vancouver shooting was indoor scenes. I didn’t really notice the Vancouver locales apart from the early Clark scenes at the oil rig and the bar.

I know alot of TV is filmed in Canada, but it seems like Marvel tends to go where they can get the most tax credits, etc.

Maybe it's because Canada before the current pandemic was overrun with TV crews filming late-night low-budget car-chase sci-fi shows and the MCU doesn't NEED to go out of it's way to film in Canada?

The CW DC shows do tend to use the same boring old Vancouver locations.

That said, my I don't think you can necessarily tell X2 and X3 were both shot in Vancouver (aside from the X3 forest scene lol).

Fun fact: Nightcrawler's church in X2 is the same church Magneto uses in X3. Nightcrawler's is set in Boston. Who tf knows where Ratner's X3 church was supposed to be set in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"