Why is All-Star Superman just owning All-Star Batman

Discussion in 'DC Comics' started by Ultimate_Superman, Mar 29, 2006.

1. The Sage The World's Finest

Exactly. :up:

Jim Lee is carrying All-Star Bats on his back.

2. roach I am the night

yeah you are right.... no one is buying the book because they like it....

3. WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

I think both titles suck a big hairy wet one.

I'm still tryin' to figger out where all th' ASS love is comin' from. Title's been nuttin' but weird since it started.

4. Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

Thank you, now we must find others like us:O

5. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Youve just summed up why I like it. In a time where it seems all the comics of today (since the 80's) are mostly dark and adult orientated affairs - it's nice to have an alternative that harks back to a time when comics were a little weird and off the wall......and a little more innocent.

Thats why I also like 'Iinvincible'.

It's all about a bit of fun - as opposed to some title which make you want to slit your wrists after reading they were so bleak.

6. LibrarianThorne Registered

That's sort of the point, the weirdness I mean. It's a throwback to the halcyon days of the Golden and Silver Ages, when Superman adventures involved much more fantastic elements than they do today.

I don't love it because it's weird. I love it because it's epic. We haven't really had this kind of huge, sprawling adventure with Superman in quite some time, so it's refreshing to see it again.

7. Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

I love Invincible, and this book aint invincible

8. roach I am the night

He's Goddammed frank Miller

9. Not Jake Registered

I disagree with pretty much all of your points

I haven't gotten around to Sandman or Miracleman yet though so those could be better than Miller's stuff for all I know

still, DKR, Year One, Daredevil (original run, Born Again, Man Without Fear), Sin City, 300...that is an astounding body of work

10. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

DKR, Year One, Daredevil etc are all amazing reads but trust me, when you get to read Miracleman.................whoa.

Amazing stuff. :up:

11. LibrarianThorne Registered

Moore has the Watchmen, V For Vendetta, From Hell, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, The Killing Joke, For the Man who has Everything, Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, Top Ten, Promethea, and Miracleman.

Frank Miller who?

12. Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Now, thats an impressive body of work!!!

13. roach I am the night

im pretty sure we were just comparing Miller to Morrison

14. Not Jake Registered

yeah, I already said Moore was part of the trinity. I do say however that I don't believe that Moore's works decimate Miller's in some sort of literary fisticuffs

15. WOLVERINE25TH The Best There Is

You people realized DC retconned all th' Silver Age stuff fer a REASON, right? I love retro as much as th' next guy, but Silver Age Supes was ****, an' so is this series.

Mission accomplished, I guess.

16. Lackey Registered

that's speculation... I'm talking about facts

17. KingOfDreams Registered

in my opinion, weird = good :up:

18. KingOfDreams Registered

You must read it. Now.

19. Pksoze Registered

I agree

I read all of them Miracleman is better.

And Moore hasn't even come close to Miller's mediocrity lately. Comparing a guy who wrote Batman/Spawn and putting him at Moore's level is something I find vaguely insulting.

So no I don't believe Miller is in the trinity of greatest writers. He's more in the Claremont range as a once great writer.

20. Pksoze Registered

Its reasonable deduction. The book is in the top 5 now, actually I think its in the top 3. Put the worlds hottest artist on it...its not unreasonable it wouldn't sell even better.

21. Pksoze Registered

And I view Morrison as a superior writer to Miller. Morrison can be very weird and confusing. However, he has a very versatile style. He can go from writing Arkham Asylum to the JLA to Doom Patrol.

Morrison can also write good dialogue, Miller's dialogue is heavily influenced by Pulp Novels & Comics & it sounds cheesy in superhero comics.

22. That-Guy Registered

Ironically, I think the best parts of All-Star Superman are the ones that are less fantastical and less charming... the concept of Superman being exposed to a radiation that can slowly kill him yet consistantly makes him more powerful is very interesting and scientifically more realistic than a Superman who is completely invincible except when there's Kryptonite in the room. However, when you pair that concept with a group of HUMANS attempting to LAND on the SUN, or a couple of mythological "heroes" who dupe a DINOSAUR who lives with a SECRET SOCIETY UNDER THE GROUND, it takes the story to a place where at least some readers don't want to see it go. It's kind of like the end of the film Vanilla Sky. If you haven't seen it, don't worry; I won't give away the ending... all I'm going to say is that it comes to a point where there are several directions the story could go, and they pick a route that is very unconventional (which I applaud them for), but is also a direction that feels so far out in left field that I personally wish they would have gone another way. But its all a matter of taste. Personally, I would like to see a gradually dying/strength increasing Superman during OYL, instead of a powerless Clark Kent running around and constantly needing someone to save his keister. If the canon Superman had something interesting like that going on, I probably wouldn't even bother with AS.S, because I'm not all that crazy about Silver Age elements in current comics. But that's just me.

23. The Sage The World's Finest

That and...

[​IMG]

Stuff like this. I love this panel.

24. The Sage The World's Finest

So why are they reintroducing the Silver Age stuff such as a pre-crisis like Krypton in Birthright, the costume being made out of Kryptonian blankets and tapestries, Supergirl as Superman's cousin, Krypto the dog, Lex as an evil genius/mastermind/scientist?

25. Assassin Detroit's Reckoning

you guys make me sick