Why so much hate for The Incredible Hulk

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
So I wasn't around the SHH forums when the movie was released so I probably missed a lot. But after delving into all your opinions I find so much hate for this film.

What on earth is the issue?

I'm not asking why it didnt do well in the box office or why the common folk didnt enjoy it, but why YOU the fans didn't like it. No need to bring up Ang Lee's Hulk (which I thought was a disgrace) or Mark Ruffalo's Hulk (who I thought was fantastic). In my opinion it is the best solo MCU film. Great acting, script, action and effects. Great villain, hot Betty Ross, good subtle Avengers tie-ins.

I won't argue your points unless you ask me to, I just need to know why its so "bad."

I didn't hate it, but too much of it felt rehashed from Ang Lee's Hulk. Banner as a sad sack again, running from the army again, no character development for the Hulk again. If they make another Hulk movie, they really need to stay away from those things.

For me, one of the Biggest Hulk fans around, did Not Hate the movie at all! But TIH still fell short on action. Or maybe what I Mean to say is it felt like it barely seem to have more than the the Lee Hulk movie. There were some sequences in parts of the action that weren't clear. I personally am sick of the Hulk not being able to talk, all which is mostly because of the old live action TV show. Yeah, he said a few things but it's still not enough for what Hulk has always been able to say in comics. Sure the Abomination can speak just fine! But Hulk still has to remain a modern Frankenstein's monster! But all that aside, My only real problem with TIH was that the action could have and Should have been much more than it was. And Abomination's character design.Ugh. Next Hulk movie, I want to see some Micheal Bay size, action! Hulk and Abomb should've taken out an entire city, not just a couple blocks. It was still a decent film but there was still room for improvement.

I actually love this movie. I don't hear much hate about this movie, in fact I don't hear much at all about this movie. It is one of the least discussed superhero movies that exists. As far as the "general masses" are concerned, they seemed to like it. Most just did not see it.

It's underrated, not hated.

I thought it was a good movie. Not great, but it had its moments, and I'm not even a Hulk fan.

Well gosh. Now I'm seein the love! That makes me feel a little better.

Namely, it's when i see the MCU ranked in order, its hit or miss whether TIH or IM2 is ranked last.

Underrated is probably more accurate. In terms of action I feel Thor fell far shorter than The Incredible Hulk.

The Avengers
Iron Man
Thor
The Incredible Hulk
Captain America
Iron Man 2

I actually love this movie. I don't hear much hate about this movie, in fact I don't hear much at all about this movie. It is one of the least discussed superhero movies that exists. As far as the "general masses" are concerned, they seemed to like it. Most just did not see it.

Ah... I'd bet it's because it came out the same summer as The Dark Knight and Iron Man. I wonder if ASM will have any similar issues.

The Incredible Hulk is vastly underrated

to be perfectly honest, my favorite Phase 1 Marvel movie is The Incredible Hulk. more so than Iron Man & Thor.

I hated, hated, hated Anghulk and thought just as a film TIH was a significant improvement. However, I still have my issues with TIH. Almost all of them coming from the fact that while TIH corrected so many things that were wrong in the previous film, they still kept Hulk as a non-character in and of himself(and even TA didn't fully satisfy me on that account).

As an adaption of the old TV show, TIH is excellent. Probably one of the best TV-to-Movie adaptations I've ever seen. The problem was though that I wanted a more comic book-to-movie adaption. As an adaption of the comics, it's rather wanting. You can't cut the single most interesting aspect out of a character(how Hulk & Bruce relate to each other) and not have it hurt your film. Now I know, making a CGI character like Hulk being a truly complete character would be exceptionally difficult. All I can say to that is that them's the breaks and that's who the character is. Either do it right or don't do it at all.

TIH was a step in the right direction after AL'sH, but it suffered from a severe case from who the hell casts Liv Tyler and expects that she suddenly learns how to act?

Lol'd at that. But is it even worth mentioning that i preferred liv tyler > jennifer connoly.

I respect your opinion but I certainly don't share it.

So I wasn't around the SHH forums when the movie was released so I probably missed a lot. But after delving into all your opinions I find so much hate for this film.

What on earth is the issue?

I'm not asking why it didnt do well in the box office or why the common folk didnt enjoy it, but why YOU the fans didn't like it. No need to bring up Ang Lee's Hulk (which I thought was a disgrace) or Mark Ruffalo's Hulk (who I thought was fantastic). In my opinion it is the best solo MCU film. Great acting, script, action and effects. Great villain, hot Betty Ross, good subtle Avengers tie-ins.

I won't argue your points unless you ask me to, I just need to know why its so "bad."

Not enough characterization, not enough depth, no retelling of the origin story, which I would have rather seen than have William Hurt explain it to me.

I thought the penultimate battle was pretty boring but most of all I felt it didn't tell a good story. A good story is exactly what I'm after when I go to the movies. Everything else is just icing.

I would have liked to know more about the relationship between Banner and the Hulk for example.

Anyway, the action was pretty good though.

Anyway, the action was pretty good though.

I agree on the action. Scenes like Hulk shielding Betty and using a car as boxing gloves were so iconic of the hero. Fckn thunderclap and sonic blast cannons. Great stuff.

Honestly? I modestly dislike TIH because I think the Ang Lee Hulk movie was better. It wasn't *bad*, but in the process of trying to fix the first attempt, it broke most of the stuff that did work.

-Eric Bana brought some passion to his efforts. Edward Norton seemed to be. . . playing Edward Norton.

-Jennifer Connelly did a much better acting job than Liv Tyler

-Sam Elliot gave some depth and sympathy to General Ross, for the first time in ever. William Hurt took him straight back into being a cardboard cutout, and *unnecessarily so*, as the movie could have made him a sympathetic antagonist with all of two lines changed.

-Nick Nolte may have chewed scenery and been weird, but he actually had some charisma as a villain. Tim Roth had all the personality of a wandering monster.

-The Ang Lee version had "Hulk vs the Army", a far better fight scene than all three battles in TIH combined.

Sure, TIH had some good things, notably Samuel Sterns, and Ang Lee had some bad things, notably the entire ending sequence. But while I'll usually not favor a noble failure over an actual success, TIH is just so bland that I can't even call it a "success." Its just there.

I actually thought it was a great movie. For starters it was 100,000X better than Ang Lee's god awful Hulk (I'm sorry but if you disagree you are just wrong, lol). It also added the whole "man on the run" angle which is what made Hulk famous in the original series. Finally it ended with Banner hinting that he could become a hero some day. That's where The Avengers comes in of course...

However after seeing Ruffalo absolutely nail the part of Banner and actually make me BELIEVE he was a scientist; I must say that Norton's Banner was somewhat lacking in comparison. Whedon/Ruffalo took all the elements of Banner that Norton built and then brought them 2 levels up. This is just another reason why Avengers is perfect (in movie terms it truly is): it was FULL of character development. That's why I get so angry when people refer to it as "light", a "popcorn movie, "not serious", or "all glitz and no character". What freaking film were some of these idiots watching?

The Incredible Hulk wasn't a good movie. It's not worst movie but very uninteresting movie. Every character was boring (including main character) Many of them were cartoonish.

So basically it had lack of emotion,depth,characterization and good story but also it wasn't entertaining as well. At least Avengers was entertaining.

If i had to compare with Ang Lee's Hulk, both movies had some advantages to eachother but neighter of them were good.

I hope next movie will be good. Because Hulk is a major name and it deserves better movies. Maybe they can use him with other heroes.

Also i want to see Hulk vs Thing one day.:woot:

I actually thought it was a great movie. For starters it was 100,000X better than Ang Lee's god awful Hulk (I'm sorry but if you disagree you are just wrong, lol). It also added the whole "man on the run" angle which is what made Hulk famous in the original series. Finally it ended with Banner hinting that he could become a hero some day. That's where The Avengers comes in of course...

However after seeing Ruffalo absolutely nail the part of Banner and actually make me BELIEVE he was a scientist; I must say that Norton's Banner was somewhat lacking in comparison. Whedon/Ruffalo took all the elements of Banner that Norton built and then brought them 2 levels up. This is just another reason why Avengers is perfect (in movie terms it truly is): it was FULL of character development. That's why I get so angry when people refer to it as "light", a "popcorn movie, "not serious", or "all glitz and no character". What freaking film were some of these idiots watching?

The "man on the run" stuff is absolutely necessary in any Hulk movie that we are supposed to deem as any sort of realistic.

In my personal opinion, I see Norton as an overall better actor than Ruffalo. Norton made TIH a great film and made me care about the character. But Ruffalo is a far better Bruce Banner in both demeanor and appearance.

However after seeing Ruffalo absolutely nail the part of Banner and actually make me BELIEVE he was a scientist; I must say that Norton's Banner was somewhat lacking in comparison

:whatever:

I can't see why anyone would have any issues with Bana, Norton or Ruffalo's portrayals as scientists/experts.

:whatever:

I can't see why anyone would have any issues with Bana, Norton or Ruffalo's portrayals as scientists/experts.

Lol. Thats a valid point. I do feel like ruffalo said more things i didnt understand.

TIH is still my favorite Marvel Studios movie. It had great action, great actors, and it had every element that I wanted. It's a damn shame there is no sequel to this.

I think the movie is okay. It's my least favorite of the MCU, but the shadow that looms over it is all the drama that happened with Edward Norton offscreen.

overall I found ed norton pretty bland in the role, and I would have liked more analysis into the nature of the hulk, instead of making him a walking plot device. But aside from the I found TIH to be pretty harmless. It didn't tarnish the name or anything, it was a great homage to the television series, but I felt a lot of what was wrong with it fell on the fact that they got a generic action director behind the camera who's most recognizable artistic "stamp" was an overabundance of crane shots. when something wasn't blowing up or getting tossed around it felt like hollow to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"