The Avengers Why the Avengers will be a Game Changer

hopeisreal

Civilian
Reaction score
Back in the late 70's, Superman came out and brought us the heroic figure to the big screen and it was a great success. Other directors just were not brave enough to follow that movie up with a Captain America or even an Avengers because they knew they would be compared to Superman and just fall short.

So here comes 1989 and Burton boldly brings out a dark and serious blockbuster that was far away from what Superman was. That was a great success and people saw it and believed that this was far easier to do. Just get a serious actor, make it gritty and you could be in the same ball park as Batman.

And then 2005 saw Begins. Again, Batman brought the seriousness to light but this was presented as more of a regular film rather than a comic-book. (although the microwave emitter....)
Everyone took notice and tried to imitate the darkness and seriousness of Begins and TDK just compounded that with its Oscar and billion bucks. EVEN, Spiderman with Webb and Superman with Snyder were copying the new chic which was "dark, moody and serious, with a bit of edginess" Throw in Xmen First Class as well.

Then here comes Avengers. Stepping into a society that want their comic-book movies to be serious and follow the lead of the dark knight. Boldly, Avengers reverts back to the emotions from Superman 1 in reminding us of the lighter and motivational aspects of superheroes.

Avengers is a success in making a fun movie WITH brains and CHARACTERS THAT ACTUALLY SPEAK TO ONE ANOTHER IN A REAL ORGANIC WAY (Michael Bay i look at YOU!":cmad::cmad::cmad::cmad:)

I just find it hard for families and comic book fans, especially avengers fans not to flock to this movie and see it numerous times. It's a breath of fresh air. With so many films like First Class and Raimi's Spiderman and Iron Man being OVER-RATED....this may not be the masterpiece some say it is, but it definitely deserves the praise for being one of the best comic-book movies ever made. Now, put an asterisk onto that which says 90% of comic book movies SUCK. But that being said, facts are facts. Avengers is one of the best comicbook movies out there and for me, it stands next to Captain America but below Blade as Marvel's best. And then we have Superman 1, Batman and Begins with Sin City finishing the elite group.

Directors will look at this now and will see this is not the height of filmmaking that Donner achieved with Superman 1. Hopefully, they will learn that having well-written characters and action that is well-paced and filmed with a theme that runs through the movie will lead you to many happy viewers who will keep coming back.

Dark, brooding, edgy and moody is not the only thing comic-books are. There is the other side, which Avengers shows very well. Perhaps it's time we saw this side DONE AS WELL AND EVEN BETTER THAN THIS

Avengers achieved a lot, make no mistake. But I still fail to see what did it bring to the genre. I mean, other than having more than 1 superhero per movie.

There's plenty of movies where characters talk to each other organically. It feels to me that it took the best of what previous Marvel movies had and then made it bigger. One superhero? Try 6. 3 action scenes? Try 10. And so on.

Nothing wrong with that.

Agreed completely.

I don't even feel that comparing with Donner's Superman is good enough, Ive seen three times and I'm going for my 4th screening this Friday, we're talking about a movie that as much as a game changer as Star Wars, folks.

I'd even dare to say that The Avengers is not only a game changer and the Star Wars of our time, it is THE BEST movie experience of all time when it comes to blockbusters, it just has no contenders.

While Avatar was a step to that direction, it looked too much like a videogame. The Avengers is the culmination not only of all the Marvel movies until now, but the culmination of what George Lucas created back then in 1977.

No matter how much people hype this movie, no hype will suffice what The Avengers really is. Tonight you'll witness History in the making, ladies and lads.

Last edited:
It already is a game changer, no other hero flick has attempted this (I don't include X-Men in that cause they aren't all solo heroes brought together) and its breaking box office records.

Also on not comparing it to Superman remember that film came out ion the 70s and set the standard for the superhero origin movie, It was most definitely a game changer.

It already is a game changer, no other hero flick has attempted this (I don't include X-Men in that cause they aren't all solo heroes brought together) and its breaking box office records.

Also on not comparing it to Superman remember that film came out ion the 70s and set the standard for the superhero origin movie, It was most definitely a game changer.

I agree, but there's something about The Avengers hysteria that remembers me a lot more Star Wars. The way people react to this movie at the theaters is ****ing insane. Here in Brazil we're past a week since the release, I'm working my ass off to find two tickets for me and my cousin tomorrow. That's not usual. Also it isn't usual the way the screening goes, ALL OF THEM PACKED, ALL of them with several ovations through the movie and standing ovations at the end.

Seriously, if this isn't a perfect storm for a movie, I don't really know what is. The level of enthusiasm for this is unprecedented in my opinion.

As great as the movie is, I respectfully disagree about this movie being a game-changer in the theming and feel of CBMs. Iron Man set the tone for the MCU - hip, cool, witty, well-acted, and good enough story. And even before Avengers and Iron Man, there've been CBMs that've attempted that sort of approach and failed or seen moderate success - Hellboy, Raimi's Spiderman, Fantastic Four, etc. I argue that Avengers took the look and feel of the Iron Man movies and upped it a notch, and executed this approach very very successfully with the help of bigger action sequences and more than meeting the challenge of incorporating franchise figures from different movies almost seamlessly. And as good as the movie was, there were borderline cheese scenes in Avengers that could've easily gone wayyy downhill with the wrong director or cast.

Is there a game-changer element to Avengers? You bet. It's showing Hollywood the strength of a shared universe concept, and that the merger of franchices into a shared storyline can indeed be greater than the sum of its parts, not only in box office revenue but also from merchandising potential. Another though more minor game-changer, Disney is clearly going to adjust their film and merchandising approach in the coming years to give Marvel Studios the same spotlight it currently gives Pixar. Disney's internal strategies aside, the limitations of this game-change at the industry level though is that it really only challenges DC Entertainment to re-evaluate their approach, unless Fox decides to do a movie cross-over of FF and X-Men just for the sake of it, in which case that would probably end in disaster.

Also gotta credit Disney's massive marketing machine for shoving this movie into the faces of almost every demographic imaginable, which is a factor that is not tied to the content of the film. Disney is one of the more unique entertainment companies that is able to cross-promote on such a wide scale. Only Fox gets close with the different LOBs they own and even then, their marketing reach isn't as wide as Disney's. So again, hard to say this is a game-changer for the industry as Disney is in a unique position compared to its competitors.

Ultimately, I think Hollywood is slowly but surely learning which approaches work best with which CBM franchises. The multi-layered gritty drama that Nolan has infused the Dark Knight trilogy with can only work with more grounded CBMs, like Punisher (which Marvel Studios is working on a reboot) or Daredevil as examples. Other movies like X-Men and Avengers need some of that comic book cheese factor because the audience is already suspending their concepts of reality, and so they need to approach this from a more entertainment value perspective. As gritty Snyder and WB are going to try to make Man of Steel, let's face it - it's never going to be as dark and deep and Nolan's Batman and I'm expecting some level of cheese because it's a movie about an alien flying around in blue and red tights.

Reading that first post reminds me of when I was new and would post big bold statements and just watch as the others agreed or trashed me.

welcome to the hype.
(I disagree, with almost every word btw, except the Blade part)

Nolan's Batman isn't a movie about a dude that fights crime with a mask that has bat ears? :huh:

I don't think Nolan's "transcending" style is the way to go for films adapted of comic books. If anything, I'm interested to see what Webb did with Amazing Spider-Man, because it clearly will be inspired by TDK, but the thing about films based on comic books to me is that you should be able to take the characters seriously but at the same time, you can't forget or deny what they are. As Whedon said it best, I believe in the genre, not the whole transcending the genre thing.

The Avengers will prove that they are a game changer.

Regardless if we write essays saying it is- or is't - one. Time will tell, but it's very clear to me already. Resistance is futile. Denying is futile.

The Avengers are coming for you. And some SMASHING is required.

Arguing this pointless right now.

THE AVENGERS is a game changer and the time is right we'll show everyone how.

Avengers achieved a lot, make no mistake. But I still fail to see what did it bring to the genre. I mean, other than having more than 1 superhero per movie.

There's plenty of movies where characters talk to each other organically. It feels to me that it took the best of what previous Marvel movies had and then made it bigger. One superhero? Try 6. 3 action scenes? Try 10. And so on.

Nothing wrong with that.

That's exactly what it brought. It successfully molded 4 independent movie franchises that are all very different in their own way into a single cohesive film. It attempted something that no one else in their right mind would try to do.

Nothing wrong with that.

What it's done is put forth a big blockbuster movie in the old-school heroic style. So it is not bringing anything totally new, but just reminding you of how it SHOULD BE done. And if it is successful as it looks like it will be...then more studios will go away from the whole dark angsty idea and try the formula that Avengers has reignited

That's exactly what it brought. It successfully molded 4 independent movie franchises that are all very different in their own way into a single cohesive film. It attempted something that no one else in their right mind would try to do.

i really did not believe it would work...i was skeptical...but Whedon did VERY well in making it respectable and not stupid

What it's done is put forth a big blockbuster movie in the old-school heroic style. So it is not bringing anything totally new, but just reminding you of how it SHOULD BE done. And if it is successful as it looks like it will be...then more studios will go away from the whole dark angsty idea and try the formula that Avengers has reignited

Of how what should be done? A blockbuster? A CBM movie?

Both ''formulas'' can be worked out. There's no perfect way to do CBM movies.

Saying the Avengers is the Star Wars of our time is a bit too much.

Ha....it definitely ain't the star wars.

The formula of a light-hearted summer blockbuster.

Spiderman...ALL THREE.... failed. As well as ALL THREE Bayformers films

Okay. I thought you were implying that Nolan is doing it wrong and that this is the only way.

Ha....it definitely ain't the star wars.

The formula of a light-hearted summer blockbuster.

Spiderman...ALL THREE.... failed. As well as ALL THREE Bayformers films

Not sure what you mean, here, both those franchises have proved to be effectively more profitable than all of what Marvel's done so far. The measure of success should start with an examination of the goals.

Profitable? Who cares?

The prequels have each made more than their original contemporaries.
As well as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

When guys see this...they should rethink putting Spiderman 2 on such a high throne.

According to some of the reactions, The Avengers may be an 'underwear-changer'. :wow:

If anything, I hope it makes future CBM have a lot more action.

Don't know if it is a game changer yet. Time will tell. The ingredients are there.

However, one could say The Avengers is a very very difficult movie to make, and it has been done extremely right. Which is one of the things that makes it standout. Something of this magnitude hasn't been attempted until now, and the result is just pure entertainment. The real blockbusters in history are the ones that are pure entertainment, from start to finish, adventure for the family (one could say). Back to the Future, Star Wars, Indiana Jones. Avengers easily fits into that category. And if it does, we're watching cinematic history unfolding right in front of our eyes.

My main "game changer" hope is that it disproves, to the general public, that super hero films must be grim and gritty to be a mega hit. . .

The first blockbuster was Star Wars, it told the story of a finite saga with unknown characters that the World fell in love with.

The Avengers - and all the Marvel movies before - tell a story of an universe that could very well be endless. While Star Wars was a sci-fi somewhat finite saga that the World fell in love with, The Avengers is a story about heroes, a story of characters that the World have at least seen before in some shape or form, now made into a gigantic blockbuster. This same universe can hold ALL kind of genres, from sci-fi, adventure and fantasy to thrillers, espionage, drama, horror and what the hell Marvel/Disney decide to include inside their movieverse. The hysteria levels for this movie around the globe is absurd. It's a movie created to be seen with a huge ass screen and it's extremely rewatchable.

Lucas created the Star Wars Universe. Marvel recreated their comic book universe in the movies, The Avengers is the culmination of all that. I see The Avengers - and the whole Marvel Universe that Marvel is creating - as the natural heirs of Star Wars, even if some points of Star Wars were inspired by Marvel Comics itself. The Avengers, in that sense, is in my eyes this generation's Star Wars. And if Marvel play their cards right, the possibilities are endless.

I don't know if I'm getting my point across, but you need to have in mind that it's easy for all of us to imagine a Marvel Universe, a Marvel mythology in film now. But it was impossible back then, it was impossible to imagine all these characters together, but they are now. The public, the critic and the fanboys ****ing love The Avengers. It's real. It's happening. Marvel created a World even bigger than Star Wars and the World ****ing love it. That's why I see The Avengers the heirs of Star Wars, it's a moviesaga, a movieverse, inside of a blockbuster.

If Lucas created the blockbuster, Marvel perfected them with The Avengers. Call me crazy, pretentious, ignorant, fanboy... you name it. I don't think people realize what The Avengers means to movies, not only the ones based on comic books. This is just the beginning.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm not sure what people's definitions of "game changers" are. I don't think the Avengers has done anything new in terms of the genre. It's not "showing" the general public that super hero films can be fun and extremely popular. Superman showed audiences that in the 70's. And recently films like Spider-man have as well. The general public doesn't have those kinds of ideas when they think about superhero films, that largely an idea that circulates on places like these boards. Where fanboys congregate.

So in terms of the genre itself, I don't think this film will be much of a game changer. However, in terms of how studios approach superheroes from now on it will be. I don't mean in terms of what the movie itself does, but what the Avengers signifies. A four year plan with movies that all took place in the same universe and culminated in one film. It's showing studios that this concept can work, and they may try and adopt that in the future.

Profitable? Who cares?

The prequels have each made more than their original contemporaries.
As well as Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

When guys see this...they should rethink putting Spiderman 2 on such a high throne.

Profitable and Crowd pleasing.

If anything all this talk really has me thinking Marvel needs to change their own films. I have a feeling all this positive buzz stems mostly from the quality of Avengers as opposed to the culmination factor.

Yes marvel studios should make some changes asap and perhaps this film will me the start of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"