Why the hell is this not coming out 4th of July Weekend?

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by redhawk23, Mar 22, 2010.

1. FaT_tONle Registered

Caspian was a mistake. Disney would admit that. They needed a summer tentpole and panicked. I don't want to hear about typical action movies like Die Hard, or stuff like that. Action movies that take place on Christmas no less. We are talking about movies that studios go into thinking franchise from the getgo. And 99% of them need to go to the summer. I guess you can make the argument that you can sell more toys and merchandise during that special time of the year, but then you have to account for DVD sales. Makes for a great present (look at IM/TDK), and you can still get your poster boy's face out there on ads and still sell the toys. And what happens come January 2nd when it's back to the ****ters for everyone? Okay college kids get some extra time off if they aren't taking classes but still. It's only that lucrative 2-3 week window. Summer can be a full month and a half window seven days a week.

Bond isn't summer tentpole material anymore in this climate. It sells on name alone and can be released anywhere. I am Legend had a huge star and could have also been released anywhere. Will Smith already had Hancock the following summer, a movie that could have went Holiday but was probably best served for the summer.

#51 FaT_tONle, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. OB12 Registered

Another thing to consider is that Cap may not feel like your typical superhero movie, even though it is one. I think that, being a period piece, it may feel less comic-booky and more like a true action film. Period pieces and action films can do well during the winter months.

3. FaT_tONle Registered

Yeah if you are completely serious like Private Ryan and shooting for gold a couple of months later. Marvel is obviously not going to be completely serious.

4. Deaths Head II The Sequel

Sherlock Holmes did really well for being a Winter release (especially as a competitor to Avatar) and that was obviously planned as a franchise.

5. FaT_tONle Registered

Holmes isn't exactly summer tentpole material.

6. FaT_tONle Registered

Holmes isn't exactly summer tentpole material.

7. hame4479 Registered

Well Im pretty sure Paramount is distrubuting cap too so that sounds like absolutely ******ed business sense. I may be wrong tho.

8. FaT_tONle Registered

Paramount only gets like 8%, so they probably figure TF3 will be front loaded and they want the better release date for a front load film like that. Plus you have to account for Cars 2, which is still under Disney, as is Cap, so you need a month for that, or at least a couple of weeks.

9. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

yea it would be nice to have a winter release but if i recall their deal with paramount is to have summer releases. Sure next summer season is going to be a packed one for sure. and i do plan to see majority of all the films coming out. But since we are a yr away from release. who knows some films could easily be switched around a bit with release dates. More so the film just starting up production now or a bit later this summer and all that.

10. TheVileOne Registered

I'm amazingly annoyed and disappointed Hollywood won't grow a pair and put this movie where it belongs.

I also don't get why people are on this ******** about anti-Americanism when even Transformers 2 basically has Michael Bay doing ******io on the military and American patriotism and that movie did like $800 million worldwide.

11. 3atman Registered

My theory is that it's going to fail in the international market anyways since most of the world seems to hate us even though we're no worse than anyone else (topic for another time). So why not go balls out "this is america" with the marketing. Fourth of July, have the president at the premiere, sell apple pies at the theaters with little stars cut into the top, promote the movie at baseball games, have a cartoon series and promote the hell out of the comics. Play the national anthem before the movie starts.

Basically be obnoxiously patriotic.

12. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

This movie won't fail internationally. Unless you do that.

13. Webhead2006 The Web-Swinger

vile we have no clue how the whole process of selecting release dates come out for these studios, its all about who gets what first. And if i recall TF3 had taken the spot before cap was even finalized to be happening and all that. Sure it would be great if it was 4th of july release. But who knows we are still a whole yr away from release so there is always chances some films could be bumped up to earlier release or bumped out to a later release. Take for example dc's the losers was to be early april then bumped to june, to be back back to late april. Or that wall street 2 film was to be late april but now going to be released in sept or something if i recall.

As for international appeal who knows how it will be. Sure it will probably be a stronger preformer here in the states/north america. But maybe they will promote the film differently over seas and with having the invaders to in the film. Could be the draw for the film for overseas film goers.

14. 3atman Registered

Would you go see a movie entitled "Captain France". Besides a comedy about a cowardly bum I mean, like something legit.

15. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

I just think that Marvel in general has a very international fanbase, which will help.

If Saving Private Ryan or any other American WWII movies can do so well overseas, this one definitely should with all the geek help.

16. Deaths Head II The Sequel

People go see Transformers to see robots punching each other and get the US Army commercials. With Cap you have the America patriotism right off the bat with the title and the costume so you can't trick people into seeing the movie and then surprise them with the propaganda stuff.

17. 3atman Registered

Did someone REALLY compare a WWII movie with Cap to show that a movie about patriotism can sell worldwide? K, world war II has more interest than a propaganda comic started around WWII. Secondly, a groundbreaking war movie with tom hanks certainly has more international interest than a comic book film with a barely known actor who doesn't have 2 academy awards.

As I asked before, if there were a movie about a French superhero, called "Captain France" that you had limited knowledge of it, would you go see it?

18. LadyVader Smile like you mean it.

Oh wow... I can see it now:

"Croyez vous que cette lettre sur ma tete est pour France!?"
    "Uh, oui?"
    "Oh... Merde!"

19. topdog1 Hero For Hire

Have you seen Obama's poll numbers? By next July, that will be the LAST thing Marvel wants.

OK, someone HAS to post it...

[​IMG]

20. BoredGuy Never Did a Popular Thing

Just because Tom Hanks was in it doesn't mean that movie was any less 'yay america'. That movie was completely from an American point of view, which a lot of people who don't live here are pretty tired of seeing. However, the positive feelings about that time and our (relatively small) contribution allow people internationally to watch these movies without getting caught up in their america-hate. I think the time-period will just help it overseas.

And if the french could make a good blockbuster action flick, sure, I'd check it out.

21. Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

"you t'ink dis f on meh head stunds for dirteh amereeca!?"

22. Bruce Malone Registered

If you do it that way the movie will basically fail with half the country as well... You forgot to add have toby keith sing the movie song.

23. roach I am the night

"oh lord you give them eyes yet they do not see"

obvious reason why Cap isnt on 4th of July weekend. May is going to be a battleground and they dont want Cap and Thor competing...so they put about a month between them.
    Sure Paramount could move TF3 but why move a guaranteed money maker(regardless of what people think this movie will make money) for a comic book movie(which arent guaranteed hits)

24. Jake Cassidy Registered

It looks like I'm gping to the movies only 4 times next year. Can't wait. :csad:

#74 Jake Cassidy, Apr 5, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  25. roach I am the night

looks like Im not leaving the theater next summer