Why were Ant-Man and Wasp left out of The Avengers?

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Slushy, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Slushy Registered

That always bothered me. Thanks in advanced.

2. BatsDC Side-Kicker

Edgar's script had Hank written as old, and Marvel didn't want to introduce a young Hank and Janet and ruin Edgar's idea. Joss' original Avengers draft featured Wasp but she was cut out for various reasons, Joss' being that she was becoming too centric to the plot (some say Hank was a part of one draft too but I'm pretty sure that's just something that was made up and people ran with).

If Ant-Man had come out before Avengers I'd imagine we'd have seen Scott, Hope and Hank in the Avengers, with Pym taking Selvig's role

3. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

because it didn't fit Wright's vision at that time

4. smashmode House Stark

I believe they were in the first drafts, But Edgar Wright/Ant-man movie kind of nixed that.

5. Ghostcrow13 Registered

I prefer Hawkeye and Widow anyway

[​IMG]

6. smashmode House Stark

[​IMG]

7. Ultron-5 Registered

[​IMG]

8. Mike Murdock Registered

I like Black Widow. I think she's been a great addition. I prefer her. But I feel the second movie will show there's room for more characters.

That being said, they aren't in the movie because, in the MCU, Hank Pym is around 70 years old and wouldn't fit in well with the ages of the rest of the cast.

9. Ultron-5 Registered

I liked Black Widow in Avengers and Cap 2. I didn't like her in IM2. She was only there to set up The Avengers.

10. MbJ Registered

Pym was definitely off limits because of Wright's movie but it remains to be seen if that was the case for Jan.

I'm thinking that some of the Hope Van Dyne stuff must've been a more recent addition to the script since Whedon has said he wrote Wasp into the Avengers script but cut her because of screen time concerns. I think the plan might have been to introduce her independent of Pym and when that fell through they just decided to fridge her.

11. Quasimod0 Bell-Ringer

Hopefully they will be in Avengers 3 so I can see my perfect Avengers lineup

Cap, Hulk, Thor, IronMan, Ms Marvel, Vision, Henry Pym, Wasp, Black Panther, Black Widow, Hawkeye.

Is that too much to ask? :p The season 2 lineup of Avengers: EMH was perfect!

12. TheVileOne Registered

Janet is Hope's mother.

13. Adversary Registered

I think Marvel Studios originally wanted them to be part of the Avengers. They actually had Ant man in development before the first Iron Man, but the script Edgar Wright wrote did not fit in the chronology of The Avengers, so they delayed its production.

#13 Adversary, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  14. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I'm fine with Ant-Man not being included in the first Avengers film, I just feel like he's in a different level compare to the big 4. Hawkeye/Black Widow aren't in the same level compare to the big 4 too but they didn't get their solo films. Ant-Man is more likely a 2nd-tier, just like Doctor Stranger/Black Panther.

15. Human Torch Registered

Because Edgar Wright's Ant Man had been in development since the Truman Administration and for whatever reason, Marvel was so enamored with him they ostensibly froze all characters in the Ant Man world so that Wright could do as he pleased with them for his movie.

16. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

As others have said Edgar Wright wanted to do a movie with 70 year old Pym and Marvel went with it. Wasp is a character that is heavily tied to Pym so it had a knock on effect on her character.

Marvel could of had a 50 year old actors play Pym and Wasp setting their cold war adventures in the 1980s but they didn't. C'est la vie.

Feige said the MCU was changed to accommodate Edgar's Ant-Man and influenced the line up of the first Avengers which seems to imply we may of seen Ant-Man and Wasp in the original line up if the Ant-Man movie was not on the table.

17. Mike Murdock Registered

^ To be fair, it's also plausible that they liked the direction he was taking with the movie and were fine with doing it.

Was Ant-Man ever planned for Phase One? What was the cause of the delay there? I know the Phase Two delay related to The World's End, but does anyone remember what the delay before that was caused by?

18. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

Tintin

19. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

I get the question, I mean, if Ant-man is being established as having been a known hero back in the 70's, why wouldn't have be one of the first people Furry sought out (even if he was to old to actually still fight) but, at least consult

and maybe Furry did, and Pym turned him down

20. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I thought Edgar Wright's script had been in development since Lincoln was shot in the back. :oldrazz:

21. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Pym is looking like he retired from superheroics after his wife's 'tragic accident'. He also seems to be no longer a fan of superheroes which might be tied into some self loathing or guilt he feels over what happened to his wife.

Fury did say something like you think your the only one to Stark in regard to superheroes which implied there were other superheroes out there.

Fury wasn't talking about Hulk who was probably not viewed as a superhero, Black Widow/Hawkeye/mockingbird who were viewed as hight skilled shield agents, Cap was presumed dead and Thor had yet to show up.

22. Loki882 Registered

There's also the idea that:

-Black Widow and Hawkeye could easily be made part of the team, since SHIELD played such a huge role in bringing the Avengers together in the first place.

-They don't have actual powers, which makes it easier budget-wise.

These probably played a role in it as well.

23. bubbadoom Registered

ANT MAN was never to be a part of any phase - it was a stand alone that Edgar Wright had a free hand in developing and doing when he felt like it with it. Any delays were from him choosing [for one reason or another] to do something else instead.

But as Marvel grew [and then Disney bought them] there was less and less room for him to have as much freedom as he once was promised. He chose to do THE WORLD'S END and we all know what happened after that...

24. Mike Murdock Registered

I don't think that's entirely accurate. Marvel still had to devote resources to it, which means they needed to schedule it in a particular slot.

But even if that's not true, my question still remains: The delays more recent (to finish The World's End for his friend) are well known. Were there any specific causes for previous delays?

25. R_Hythlodeus Nerd Supreme

and my answer remains: Tintin