Why were Ant-Man and Wasp left out of The Avengers?

Discussion in 'Ant-Man' started by Slushy, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Human Torch Registered

Originally John Wilkes Booth was set to play Scott Lang,but delays took their toll on his sanity, leading him to shoot Mr Lincoln.:woot:

2. Mike Murdock Registered

Thanks. I had missed your post last time. :)

3. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Edgar said he only focuses on one project at a time so he would drop developing Ant-Man to focus on other projects.

4. bubbadoom Registered

Okay - I give up - what does TINTIN have to do with Edgar Wright, Marvel and Ant Man...? Okay - I see his writing credit on that - I guess that was one delay, SCOTT P was another...

5. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Lincoln was watching another one of Edgar Wright's plays, "The World's End" at the Ford Theater, and ironically enough, his world came to an end.

6. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Hey, I agree with you.

7. GNR Registered

8. BarryAllen ey b0ss

Because Edgar Wright held onto them for so long.

But I think it's worked out for the best. Black Widow and Hawkeye are much more versatile characters for a cinematic universe than Ant-man or Wasp.

9. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

I think we'll see that Hank and Janet created the original Avengers Initiative in an Ant-Man flashback. So its all good.

10. queendarkness12 The Queenmaker

I think Hank and Janet will pass the torch of their mantles to Scott and Hope.

11. FVD Launder the Conscience

Edgar Wright, along with Steven Moffatt and Joe Cornish were the screenwriters of the Tintin movie, and I gather that they may write out the sequel(s) too fingers crossed. Loved the first movie. :)

12. Khonshu Registered

I think they are somewhat redundant characters in the MCU. I'm looking forward to Ant-Man, but Tony Stark is a substitute Hank Pym, and Natasha Romanof is a substitute Janet Van Dyne.

13. StreetWarrior Respectfully disagreeing.

Not really. Banner's role as the team bio-scientist kind of replaced Pym. The "big three" science guys in the Marvel Comics 616 were always Stark, Pym, and (Reed) Richards. Banner's definitely a genius in his own right but his role with the Avengers in the MCU is MUCH larger than it ever was in the comics. Romanov, on the other hand, is definitely a substitute for the Wasp.

I love Hawkeye and the Black Widow is okay (if not overrated) but Giant Man and the Wasp are FAR more interesting (and historically important) characters. It's a shame that Wright's vision had so much influence on the MCU.

14. gildedmuse Snark Is A Superpower

I can agree that Banner fills that sort of mad scientist role (or at least does in The Avengers) but Widow is hardly a substitute for Wasp. Wasp is more fun and flirty and while she takes the Avengers seriously, she sees being a superhero as something awesome. Widow is all business and treats superheroing as redemption and a job to do. If anything, Tony is a closer replacement for Wasp on the team than Natasha.

15. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

I'm fine with them either way, so long as we eventually got to everybody(which we now have).

16. Spiderine Sho nuff

Nat doesn't really feel like a replacement for Janet. She feels like the role Black Widow would play anyways. There's a void without Janet. Without both Pym and Reed, you basically got Stark, Banner, and Selvig.

17. 3dman27 super-hero wannabe

do the events in ant-man take place in the past or the modern day ?

18. culver3vlr22 Registered

Post AoU I believe

19. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

Not sure where people are coming from when they say Hank Pym is just another Tony Stark or whatever. Its like there cant be any characters from similar backgrounds or else its bad or not smart enough etc. These movies are based on comic book history, you cant change certain character aspects to be different or else it doesnt make sense. Most of the Marvel characters are science research related. Hulk, Tony, Hank, Cap, Spidey etc etc. Also Hank was around before Tony was born, and was an associate of Howard and Peggy so thats another aspect they arent even looking at.

20. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

As others have said Bruce Banner is filling in Hank's role in the Avengers not Tony Stark. Banner was in Hulk mode his entire time he was part of the avengers in the comics so Pym along with Tony were the Science Bros of the team. In the movies Banner is an Avengers main stay.

Tony and Hank's scientific fields and way they do things are different. The dynamic in the comics was Hank Pym is more biologically/physics/chemistry orientated guy and Tony Stark the more technological/mechanical/engineering orientated guy.

Black Widow and Wasp are nothing alike. Wasp is very outgoing and grounded. Janet was often the one alongside Cap to sort out the squabbling amongst the team.

21. TheVision Sharp Dressed Man

There are some clear similarities with Darren Cross/Obi Stane though with the suit angle, but I doubt theyll do an exact copy of that. They'll want to keep it fresh. Ant-Man looks like it could give Iron Man 1 a run for its money, of course no RDJ but the rest looks great!

22. Pink Ranger The North Remembers

Scott Lang provides something different to the Avengers dynamic, as a former professional criminal.

The new Hope, she seems a lot like Natasha though, but maybe that's a not a bad thing as Scarlett is probably the least likely one of the actors to want to continue doing Avengers movies.