Wilcox County High School Students Hold First Integrated Prom

Discussion in 'SHH Community Forum' started by Mistah K88, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Mistah K88 Registered

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...unty-high-school-students-hold-200912244.html

For any teenager, prom is a monumental night, but for students at a Georgia high school, it has been more than 40 years in the making.
    For the first time ever, students at Wilcox County High School, in Rochelle, Ga. danced together at a prom that wasn't segregated.
    For decades, the school board has avoided officially endorsing prom festivities, instead relying on parents to host and control invitations leading to year after year of two dances - one for white students, and one for the black students.
    Students have lobbied over the years to end the practice. This year, a group of Wilcox County seniors decided to take matters into their own hands.

The four girls, two black and two white, created a Facebook page asking for support and donations to fund an independent bash open to all.
    "We were doing that so we could get the word out, so that some people would be able to donate and help us out with what we were doing," said senior Mareshia Rucker.

On Saturday night, nearly half of the school's student body came out to the event.
    "Hopefully when everything is said and done, people in our county will really realize, that there is no sense in the way things are right now," Rucker told ABC News affiliate WGXA.
    Despite this year's groundbreaking integrated dance, once again this year there was a segregated prom attended only by white students.
    It wasn't an officially sanctioned event, but a private one organized by white parents.

This stuff still happens?

2. jacobed Registered

Only in the south. Those people need to grow up and get with the times

3. Schlosser85 Registered

The parents behind keeping Prom segregated this entire time are pathetic.

The kids who organized this are more adult than they'll apparently ever be.

4. NickNitro Extra Terrestrial

This was a story on these threads before. I'm glad they go to go through with the Prom.

Next few headlines

Wilcox County High School removes "Whites" and "Blacks" Only water fountains

Wilcox County High School changes its school Mascot from "White Supremacist Joe" to "Bucky the Bronco"

Wilcox County High School Area District recently bought its first town car. Residents in will get a chance to drive the vehicle one time a day, for an allotted amount of time.

5. TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

His name was White Supremacist Joe? I always thought he was a ghost!:o

6. Vid Electricz Registered

"Things move a little slower down here in the south"

yeah, about 50 years slower. lol.

7. amazingfantasy15 Registered

Wow, with that kind of progress they're only a few years away from those king and queen size beds, instead of ma and pa's two twin sized beds.

8. Scourge2099 Nihilistic Zombie Ninja

Why did we ever let the South back into the Union if they are still this backward ?

9. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

I'm kinda scared to ask what life like is there for LGBT people...

And I am really surprised that this is whites and black thing still. By the article I thought it was like that episode of 'Dawson's Creek' where Jack (?) couldn't go to prom with a guy so the students started their own prom that would include everyone. It's frightening to see that this is still a racial thing and makes me question how far behind they are on other things.

If anyone was wondering, here's the clips from that episode, the whole concept just reminded me of its "anti-prom" arc:

#9 Ultimatehero, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  10. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

I like how this thread went from a story about bigotry being overthrown by a group of students....to the posters here showing their bigotry....nice.

11. Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

Whoa, I didn't know this still happened. It is quite embarrassing for Georgia as a whole for this s***.

:o

12. TheWiseGuy487 Feelin’ blue (???) (Undecided/still figuring out)

Speaking of "50 years slower"... :whatever:

Really, guys? You're going to pull out the stereotypical "All people who live in the South are a bunch of backwards, dumb hicks, idiots and racists who don't know their hands from the feet" card? I thought we had grown past this.

Yes, I know there are people in the South who are still racist. Heck, my late grandfather, who didn't hate blacks (as far as I know), still displayed some modicum of racism through whenever he talked about black people every now and then. But, there are plenty of smart people who live in the South. It's just that the media tends to focus on all of the stupid, ignorant and bigoted ones. And, believe me, that sort of mindset isn't just exclusive to the South.

This stupid mindset needs to stop.

13. Ultimatehero Life is infinite

Agreed. Although I think it's just that people were surprised that this was an institutionalized thing representing that whole community and that community's views.

We all know what people think about Americans now and we are all know that's not correct. Best example I can come up with.

14. Mrs. Sawyer Registered

Oh, the South. :lmao:

15. Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

Oh, you stereotyping prick. :lmao:

16. DeGenerate10 Br Ba

How was this allowed for so long?

17. TheDreamMaster The Night He Came Home...

Living in Kentucky C. Lee, you gotta know how people can be, right? I know I still see a ton where I live. That doesn't make it right though, and that's why this story is both a good story, and conversely shows a very bad side to things still going on in our country.
    I haven't seen any blatant racism in the comments at least so far.

18. JJJ's Ulcer Registered

It's not a stereotype if it's true. Sorry, but these stories come out of the south with a disturbing frequency. Maybe the majority of southerners are smart progressives (although seeing as people like Jim DeMint get elected to statewide office I find that a hard argument to make), but you guys do have a larger minority of racists than other regions of the country. That racism is also institutionalized a lot more than in the north too. Instead of cursing out Parker for stereotyping, consider why that stereotype so strongly endures even today.

19. amazingfantasy15 Registered

Well, the stereotype exsists for a reason and that reason was illustrated pretty well in this article. Also the fact that it wasn't until either this year or last that Mississippi finally got around to banning slavery.

20. Mrs. Sawyer Registered

Sigged. :word:

In seriousness, I'm not talking about all of the South in absolute terms (I do want to move to Texas when I graduate from Syracuse), but there are still areas that definitely more than deserve all the jokes.

21. NickNitro Extra Terrestrial

The age old story, a few wack jobs ruin it for the masses.....

I bet the people who are saying all southerners are racists think all Arabs are terrorists as well, and if you don't you are a living contradictory.

22. Manic User title? USER TITLE?!

Rather than offend any Southerners in the thread by stereotyping the South as a whole, I'm going specifically mock Wilcox County.

Way to get just that much closer to joining us in the 21st century, Wilcox County, Georgia.

23. NickNitro Extra Terrestrial

:highfive: see that wasn't hard! Good on you Manic

24. The Squirrel Le Rongeur

Thanks for lumping us all together. :whatever:

25. NickNitro Extra Terrestrial

I guess I can't get too mad....living in FL you're not really in the "south"....unless you live in Tallahassee area....