Will Black Panther get into Best Picture at Oscar 2019 ?

LvtLeeTDK

Fullmetal Alchemist
Reaction score
One of the best reviewed CBM, surprisingly high grossing, cultural phenomenon, certain to get buzz from the studio for Oscar Campaign, genre bias has diminish significantly after that disgusting BP Snub of The Dark Knight (Mad Max, The Shape of Water, Gravity, Inception, Logan,...)

I think it will certainly get a couple technical nods. I'm not sure about Best Picture, though. The Dark Knight got into all the Guilds(virtually most important pre-Oscar award), got a BP nod in Critics Choice but still couldn't make it. Same for Deadpool.

What do you guys think ? Note that this thread is about prediction, not evaluation whether it deserves BP nod or not.

I voted yes because it would have to

The movie has and continues to break records hell it has surpassed Titanic and Avatar and even the first Avengers film so that has gotta say something

Isn't there already a thread about this? Or at least about predicted Oscar nominations?

Otherwise, like there, my answer is still No.

I really doubt it. Some nominations might happen though.

Nomination? Maybe, after all even Christopher Nolan thought it would get nominated but Win? I dunno about that.

Can they afford not to nominate Black Panther? There will probably more pressure than ever for a CBM, and it covers a lot of Oscar Bait-y topics like the Legacy of Imperialism, Slavery, Oppressed Minorities, Africans vs the Diaspora, Noblesse Oblige, Strong Spotlight stealing Female Characters getting their own Arcs, Women in STEM etc

Last edited:
The hell you mean you dunno ? Of course it's not gonna win LOLLL

I think that with a better script BP could have won an Oscar. But as is, I don't think it'll earn more than a nom.

I want it too, but if the Dark Knight couldn't get it; I doubt BP will.

But maybe it might get a Golden Globe or SAG nod.

Its to early to tell. But if only eight or so "good" Oscar Bait films come out this fall then the Academy members might have that feeling maybe this nomination can get some TV viewers back

No chance at best picture, costumes seems like the safest bet atm.

I think it's a great comic book movie that provokes a lot of discussion about the state of our culture. But the third act is so weak and rife with sub par CGI, I don't think this has a good chance of a nomination. I don't even really care for most of the best picture nominees anyway though.

I think that with a better script BP could have won an Oscar. But as is, I don't think it'll earn more than a nom.

It has a better script, thematically and dialogue wise, than Titanic and The Greatest Show On Earth( 2 Best Picture winners) and is about equal with the numerous films, good and mediocre, that have won that top award.

Possibly. Personally don't think it should have been nominated. I understand why it did, but this should be for best picture. Not most culturally important film of the year.

Possibly. Personally don't think it should have been nominated. I understand why it did, but this should be for best picture. Not most culturally important film of the year.

I am in agreement. I really enjoyed Black Panther, but it was no way near the best film of the year.
Also, why did The Dark Knight not get a nomination in 2009? That film was vastly superior imo and highly worthy of a Best Picture nomination.

I am in agreement. I really enjoyed Black Panther, but it was no way near the best film of the year.
Also, why did The Dark Knight not get a nomination in 2009? That film was vastly superior imo and highly worthy of a Best Picture nomination.

It is subjective. Some people might generally feel that it was the best film made last year, which is fair enough. I just didn't.

I believe it may have had to do with the number of nominations allowed at the time- only five, I think. It could also explain why Wall-E was not nominated for the Best Picture category.

There were only five nominees forBest Picture back then

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"