Will JJ Comeback for Captain America 2?

Discussion in 'Captain America: The First Avenger' started by Spider-Fan, Jun 27, 2011.

?

Will JJ be back a Cap 2?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

If the 2nd film is moden day and JJ isn't back, who do you think would be good to direct Cap 2?

2. gmanca Registered

I agree, I think it would be so cool to have him introduced in an Ant Man film, if it's set in the 60's like Wright is saying. Have Pym and Van Dyne be spies sent to Russia to get intelligence on some unknown assassin, who turns out to be the Winter Soldier.

If they could do a film following the form of Torn Curtain but with the obvious superhero additions and Firefox with Clint Eastwood, it would be awesome.

As for the Godfather 2 comment, it's only a bit of the film in flashback form, not an entire prequel and the reason why it works is to juxtapose a different character's actions to another's. You want to know if Michael is going to follow in his father's footsteps or not and that's why the past segments are compelling.

For it to work in a Captain America movie, it would have to involve a character you don't know about so that their fate would be unknown. We already know Captain's outcome and further films would just continue the story, they would not be changing his character.

#52 gmanca, Jul 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  3. Hurm... Registered

They need someone who can contrast the modern day things, with the 1940s stuff really well. JJ's good, but I'm not sure he can do that. He's good with movies in this time period, but I don't think he'd do Cap justice in modern times.

4. CaptainCanada Shield of the True North

I don't think you can beat around the bush with the Winter Soldier's identity on film, as opposed to in the comics. He'll be played by Sebastian Stan; the audience will know who he is (and, as opposed to the comics version, he probably wouldn't look much different than he did in 1945; if Steve sees Winter Soldier, he should recognize him).

As to the OP, I suspect he will. Johnston has talent, but he's not an in-demand auteur or a rising star; he's an old hand who has made a couple of really notable films and otherwise does B-grade studio pictures. Given how much he seems to enjoy the subject-matter, I don't think he'd pass up the chance to return.

5. The Caped Knight Shield Avenger

It depends if it's another period film set during the war it's very possible that JJ will return but if it's a modern era film I don't see JJ returning .

6. kedrell Fork&SpoonOperator

If he wants to return then by all means that's fine by me. IMO, he earned it with this movie. But if he doesn't, I'd hope he could still remain as a producer on the film(much like I hope Branagh will on Thor 2). They'd both be valuable assets to have and would help soothe fears that some new guy would come in and f%$#& it all up after such good starts.

7. psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I hope they replace the director!

8. Silvermoth Avenger

I hope not. He doesn't have the necessary storytelling skills required for a story like Captain America's. I hope Marvel finds someone else and lets them off the leash a bit.

9. Nokio Registered

I enjoyed Cap but I'd rather JJ not come back. He did a good job with the time period and the 1st half of the movie was good and beautifully shot. However and this is my personel opinion but after the horrible musical number that went on for too long ( I'm biased because I do not like musicals and I hate musical numbers in movies) the movie went into just entertaining terrority for me until the final act. It looked like a different director that handles tv took over reigns. I won't go heavy into it cause it's off topic but no to JJ. I just found his direction for the action sequences to be safe and bland and no wow factor what so ever.

10. BestGirl Reluctantly following Vought's orders

I have to agree with those who don't care if Johnston returns. I found nothing spectacular about CA's direction. I'm sure another director could step in and not miss a beat.

11. TheIncredibleSk Hard hitting opinions.

Yes. Acting was top notch and the action was good.

12. Spider-Vader Mercin' & Workin'

I have an interesting idea. What if the movie has two directors? One for any flashbacks from WW2 & one for modern segments. JJ would of course return for the WW2 bits.

13. Silvermoth Avenger

I wonder what the movie would have been like if Bryan Singer directed it?

He's not frightened of offending anyone when it comes to World War II things, he can handle studios and he would give some of the more bland moments like Bucky's death the proper emotional gravitas.

I mean, it's like Ed Brubaker's tiny scene with Doctor Erskine in "Captain America Reborn". All throughout it you got a sense of joy between Steve and Erskine and the tragedy was just so horrible shortly after and that's what he did with like three pages. Wish the movie had taken it's time with that scene a bit better and had something that emotional.

14. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Bryan Singer is an overrated director.

15. Ultra Lantern In Darkest Night!

I don't think so.