Will Marvel Studios make a film than is grounded in reality?

only ones who deserves this treatment is daredevil and thank god fox has it since marvel would'nt make it dark or grounded they'd make it in tune with their MCU tone

my biggest problem with marvel is they take zero risks and are not very ambitious

batman films are very ambitious and even MOS looks the same

for instance they went away from nazi's in cap but fox went all the way with that in x men first class
I'd say Marvel has taken plenty of risks and have been very, very ambitious:
-They decided to make an Iron Man movie when no one generally knew who Iron Man was, and then they cast Robert Downey Jr. to play Tony Stark. Both decisions were considered to be risky gambles at the time--they just happened to pay off.
-They decided to go ahead and make a movie for Thor (who was even less known than IM), cast a relative unknown as the lead, and have it exist in the same universe as IM. Some considered that to be the make-or-break movie for whether Avengers would work or not, and there are plenty of ways where it could have gone very wrong.
-As for how ambitious they are, I don't know how you can say that after they just attempted (and succeeded) to do the unprecedented and make five tentpole movies connect to each other and lead up to an Avengers movie, which teased an even bigger and more ambitious event with the appearance of Thanos in the mid-credits scene!
-And lastly, they just announced that they are moving forward with a Guardians of the Galaxy movie featuring a talking raccoon and a sentient tree. Pretty risky.

Aren't most films, to some extent? I suppose it really depends on your idea of "reality".

No one has superpowers, sure, but how realistic is any of it? A multi-billionaire going to the Himalayas to train with ninjas, and dressing up as a bat to fight a homicidal clown?

Iron Man (1) was fairly grounded in reality.

Hammer=Nail.

There is nothing the least bit realistic about the Batman movies. Nothing. They're grim and gritty, yeah, but realism is nowhere to be found in the plots and action in them. Too many people mistake darkness for reality, IMO, and therefore gloss over all of the unrealistic aspects of those films.

As others have pointed out, the Iron Man movies are as grounded in reality as any superhero movie is bound to get. The scenes where Stark was taken hostage and held in a cave for two months are as grim as anything in the Batman series. Actually, it's even grimmer because we all know that the situation is plausible and the sort torture Stark endured goes on everyday somewhere in the world. The science was more fiction than fact, but a man building a suit of armor to escape from terrorists makes a lot more sense than someone deciding to dress up like a stylized bat to fight crime.

Another realistic aspect of Marvel movies is that the heroes have no prohibition on killing their enemies. None of them has hesitated to pull the trigger, quite literally, when confronted with a villain who needs to be taken out. Any joker who starts killing civilians on The Avengers' watch is going to get his ****ing brains blown out, and nobody will think twice about it. That is a lot more realistic than having a hero hesitate to drop a mass murdering psycho so he can maintain the belief that he's "better than that."

only ones who deserves this treatment is daredevil and thank god fox has it since marvel would'nt make it dark or grounded they'd make it in tune with their MCU tone

my biggest problem with marvel is they take zero risks and are not very ambitious

batman films are very ambitious and even MOS looks the same

for instance they went away from nazi's in cap but fox went all the way with that in x men first class
Thor, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy movies were not risks? lmao

The Marvel films are structured around their characters, more on their lives than on the plots. The Nolan Bat films became more about the villains and complex plots than Bats himself. Neither is more or less ambitious. They are simply different forms of story structure and story telling

There were Nazis in Cap. The main villains were a Nazi splinter group.

Thor, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy movies were not risks? lmao

Is it because so many of their risks have paid off big time that leads to the idea that they weren't risks at all?

Iron Man was more grounded in reality than the other Marvel films, the only thing i would like to see more grounded in reality is Hawkeye, well, not exactly grounded in reality, but i would like to see him more like his Ultimater Marvel version which can use any kind of thing as a weapon and will use guns if needed, not just an arrow and a bow all the time.

Iron Man was more grounded in reality than the other Marvel films, the only thing i would like to see more grounded in reality is Hawkeye, well, not exactly grounded in reality, but i would like to see him more like his Ultimater Marvel version which can use any kind of thing as a weapon and will use guns if needed, not just an arrow and a bow all the time.

Surely Hawkeye would have used guns if he needed them, but in TA arrows served his purpose well. As for Ultimate Hawkeye, he sounds more like Bullseye than his 616 counterpart.

Surely Hawkeye would have used guns if he needed them, but in TA arrows served his purpose well. As for Ultimate Hawkeye, he sounds more like Bullseye than his 616 counterpart.
True, but i think i liked the Hawkeye version where he worked for SHIELD and was able to never miss anything, but used Arrows as his mark. But now that you mention it, it really sounds more like Bullseye :woot:

True, but i think i liked the Hawkeye version where he worked for SHIELD and was able to never miss anything, but used Arrows as his mark. But now that you mention it, it really sounds more like Bullseye :woot:
Hawkeye did use weapons other than his bow and arrows in TA. He shot at (and missed) Maria Hill in the first scene at the SHIELD base while they were escaping.

I don't know. I miss the days when good old, old-fashioned movies like Indiana Jones were made. Cap took me back to that time. TDK didn't.

Yes. In fact, many people treasure Captain America because it left behind the shackles of a modern blockbuster to make the best movie in the Spielberg/ Lucas vein since the first Jurassic Park.

Not every superhero has to be
hiding in his room for eight years, limping around and feeling sorry for himself because he can't get over his dead girlfriend.

That isn't grounded in reality, that's melodrama.

Also, ambition in a film isn't about how many plot twists you can fit into a 2 1/2 hour movie. Marvel's films might be simple, and linear, but they have far less plot holes. Maybe that's low risk, but they're almost always well made and rewarding.

Basically, this is telling the Rolling Stones "Why can't you be more like The Beatles?" Why not just enjoy them for what they are?

Last edited:
I think its arguable that the Nolan films are really all that grounded in reality.

But I would think The Punisher would be Marvel's best shot for such a film.

The other problem with trying to Batmanize everything is Super Hero movies almost all follow a similar arc, with things like tone of film, and personality of the hero seperating each character from the other.

The second you start Grim/Darking Captain America, you've completely missed the point of the character, and completely rob him of his individuality.

The other problem with trying to Batmanize everything is Super Hero movies almost all follow a similar arc, with things like tone of film, and personality of the hero seperating each character from the other.

The second you start Grim/Darking Captain America, you've completely missed the point of the character, and completely rob him of his individuality.
I do think that they could have done more with Captain America in his War years.

I realllly hope Marvel never tries to ground things in reality too much. I like Nolan's Batman...but it's a pale comparison to the Batman of the comics.

Marvel should keep doing what they're doing and try to make the best superhero movies possible.

Captain America actually kicking Nazis, not Hydra agents, and more war type of scenes, as well as developing Bucky more.
while I agree, there is hope that we get this in CA:TWS. some WWII flashbacks would make sense, beck they can even introduce Zemo in a flashback.

I wouldn't hold my breath in showing Nazis.

I hope there aren't too many flashbacks.

I hope not.

But I do think they should start to make movies that are a bit more "ambitious".

They can't. They've already made as ambitious a super hero movie as can possible be done: the Avengers.

Anyway, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is already as "grounded" as it needs to be. "Grounded" means 'people are people' rather than being some kind of 2D cartoon where things happen solely because the writer says so. There's no requirement that a "grounded" movie has to involve only contemporary real world elements.

What I suspect people are really meaning when they say "grounded" is "grim, gritty, and deconstructed." Which Marvel most certainly *doesn't* need to do.

Last edited:
They can't. They've already made as ambitious a super hero movie as can possible be done: the Avengers.

Anyway, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is already as "grounded" as it needs to be. "Grounded" means 'people are people' rather than being some kind of 2D cartoon where things happen solely because the writer says so. There's no requirement that a "grounded" movie has to involve only contemporary real world elements.

What I suspect people are really meaning when they say "grounded" is "grim, gritty, and deconstructed." Which Marvel most certainly *doesn't* need to do.
All of this. Though one could argue an Infinity Gauntlet movie trilogy could be even more ambitious.

Captain America actually kicking Nazis, not Hydra agents, and more war type of scenes, as well as developing Bucky more.

Hydra agents have more value to the MCU than Nazis. The War scenes would've been nice but would've driven up the budget.

I don't think Bucky was any less developed than 95% of supporting characters in cbms to be honest.

I'm not saying Cap is a perfect movie (I'd go 4/5), but I don't think any of it's flaws come from it not being like the Nolan bat films.

For the record, The conversation between Steve and Peggy over the ship monitor was ten times more moving than the similar convo between Rachel and Harvey in The Dark Knight.

Punisher dammit! after watching that short Tom Jane did for CC, there's no doubt in my mind that a Punisher film "grounded in reality" like the OP stated would work.

of course, go for an R rating or go home. Disney could just distribute the film under another studio or create series for HBO.

Hydra agents have more value to the MCU than Nazis. The War scenes would've been nice but would've driven up the budget.

I don't think Bucky was any less developed than 95% of supporting characters in cbms to be honest.

I'm not saying Cap is a perfect movie (I'd go 4/5), but I don't think any of it's flaws come from it not being like the Nolan bat films.

For the record, The conversation between Steve and Peggy over the ship monitor was ten times more moving than the similar convo between Rachel and Harvey in The Dark Knight.

Plus, how does showing Cap fighting Nazis instead of HYDRA increase his value or audience interest? I've never understood that argument, beyond adding an extra layer of "realism" and authenticity to the setting. If Captain America is a super-soldier, how do you show his "super" side by having him beat on generic cannon-fodder Nazis? He's a superhero: he needs to be fighting something more challenging than cannon fodder. HYDRA gives him that challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"