Sequels Will the Sequel ignore the continuity that the Game has Credit?

Devon_Farmer

Civilian
Reaction score
EDIT***Credit should be Created

In the Amazing Spider-Man Game, we are introduced to cross species versions of classic villains we all know and love; including Scorpion, Rhino, etc, and even some villains who don't appear in the game are mentioned, like the Vulture. Now these villains haven't appeared in a movie before, and as much as the Green Goblin, Venom, and Doc Ock are all essential Spidey villains, we've seen them done before. Give us someone new.

To me, the video games story gives us several ways series could be taken for a movie sequel, including the return of a fully mutated Alistair Smythe/Spider Slayer.

Now, at the end of the video game, I was left thinking: "This is the perfect excuse for New York to be visited by Kraven." What if the sequel used the continuity that Video Game has started, and run with it. That would give us a chance to see the villains such as Rhino and Scorpion appearing, and they wouldn't even need Big Named Actors to play them, just use the technology Andy Serkis is known for when he plays Golem/King Kong.

If you have the Cross Species from the game still in existance, it gives the excuse for Kraven to be used in the series. I could imagine Kraven using the serum of multiple animals instead of just one, and gaining the ability of all the cross-species put together, making him an appropriate foe for Spider-Man.

I always counted the continuity of the Movie Video Games for the Raimi series, even though I knew they didn't consider it, but it would be a welcoming change if this series accepted the game into it's continuity.

In all honesty, I enjoyed the game more then the movie.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care, but I'd rather the film crew do their own thing than follow what the video games already did. Like having a cross species Rhino or Scorpion, etc.

I think they will, well I hope they do. Beenox has created in depth backstories with all the characters in the game and all the characters can easily be brought into the film universe, I think, it seems like it with all the clips and trailers I’ve seen of TASM.

Maybe, maybe not. If it restricts their creativity, then ignore it.

The overall problem is that it requires the screenwriters to have read the games script and make the choice to assume that they can tell the story even though most of the sequels viewers probably didn't play the game. That's the problem your asking for the bulk of your audience to just go with it and leave them out of the loop. I hope it ignores the continuity of the game but that doesn't mean they can't take stuff from the game and properly add it to the movie verse.

I've heard in some interviews that Beenox mentioned actually working close with the film makers and Marvel, that could mean anything to nothing at all. You could still get away with introducing Scorpion and Rhino into the Amazing Spider-Man movies as Cross Species Oscorp Experiments that have been created in between the first and second movie; you'd think some months or even years would have passed between films.

It could also be touched upon again in the film, without the need to go into great detail about each character, as they have been at large for some time.

Last edited:
At best, like really the best we could hope for is that nothing in the next movie contradicts anything that happened in the game. Losing the Connors redemption arc would really suck.

The next open world movie game could potentially be a sequel to this game by calling back to its storyline and its characters.

If I had to take a bet, yes, they will ignore it.

Like the Marvel Studios ones have ignored the videogames for their movies.

At least 90% who saw the movie didn't play the videogame. So its not really a big deal if they ignore the videogame.

If history is any guide, the next film will ignore the game completely.

"They" always talk about how a game/comic/other tie-in is connected to the movie, and it's almost always just PR BS.

I want the sequels to completely ignore the game.

The game's story is admittedly cool but they definitely will ignore it when approaching the script for the movie's sequel.

The future films will have nothing to do with the games. The games will follow the movies They have to add a load into the games because if it went exactly as the film did it would be pretty boring game with not a lot to do.

If they wanted to continue what has been done in the video game, then every villain would probably deal with cross-species genetics. I'm pretty sure the game is considered non canon, just like all of the others.

The movie crew worked with the gamemakers to create the story of the game and everything had to be approve by the movie guys and Marvel. Therefore, i don't think the movie will ignore the game in the sense that already introduced villains from the game won't appear in the movies (no rhino, scorpion, vermin on screen).

However, I doubt they will continue the game's story for the sequel. At MOST there will be a reference to the Spider Slayer invasion or the return of the Lizard tossed to the side but the film won't take the time to retread the ground the game covered to waste time in the film. They'll just reference through easter eggs hopefully.

BUT... I can see them incorporating black cat into the movie based on how she appeared in the game. They wouldn't need to do too much background on her either.. She's just an escaped criminal that Spidey has encountered in the time between movies. She could even be an excellent love triangle subplot if they wanted to pursue that.

I highly doubt the sequel to Amazing Spider-Man will mention, allude to or otherwise acknowledge the game's continuity. That is not to say the game is necessarily bad. It has its ups and downs. I just think the film and the game are going for two completely different themes.

That being said, even if they do the Rhino, Scorpion or Smythe, I think we can count on them being significantly reworked to fit the big screen. I doubt either will be portrayed as cross-species mutants. Sorry to offend.

Games are usually non-canon to begin with.

Movie games Spider-Man 1, 2 and 3 were not canon so this will not be also. I really hope not.

Yeah. I wouldn't worry about it. If they thought that Scorpion was a good villain for the sequel, they won't say "Hey, wait a minute! We used him in the video game already. Can't put him in a movie."

The game is just an expansion of the first movie, using the theme of cross-species genetics. We are pretty much passed that now, so its time to move on. Of course cross-species genetics should still be mentioned since it took part in creating Spider-Man and got the ball rolling on creating a formula (Lizard serum) that will eventually be responsible for turning Norman Osborn into the Green Goblin.

Probably, but loosely and don't expect any references. They probably won't use any of the villains from the game simply because they told the game producers these ones are fair game. I mean can you really see Rhino being used in a Spider-Man movie, or better yet Vermin? I could see Adrian Tomes being a supporting antagonist but not as the Vulture, Sony proved twice they don't approve of the usage of that character in a film.

Anyway Spider-Man 2 is almost guaranteed to have Goblin as the villain, with maybe hints to another evil (the guy from the end credits scene) who then appears in 3, but the only villains from the Game I can see having any semblance of a chance in a movie is Scorpion.

Look at it like this:

The game is a direct sequel to the film in an alternate universe, set between ASM and ASM2.

ASM2 is a direct sequel to the first film in that original film universe where the events of the game haven't happened.

That's how I like to see it. A movie goer shouldn't have to play through a video game to get into the film story. Therefore everything in the game will be ignored.

Beenox has already stated that the game takes place in the same universe as the movie but it's a separate continuity.

Look at it like this:

The game is a direct sequel to the film in an alternate universe, set between ASM and ASM2.

ASM2 is a direct sequel to the first film in that original film universe where the events of the game haven't happened.

That's how I like to see it. A movie goer shouldn't have to play through a video game to get into the film story. Therefore everything in the game will be ignored.
Exactly right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"