Will there ever be a Spawn Part 2?

McFarlane's working on a script to a new Spawn Film. It's a new take on Spawn, and nothing to do with the old one, from what I remember. It's supposed to be like a sort of mystery/suspense film about a "demon" in the bad alleys of NY. From what I remember Spawn isn't even going to be on screen that much, gonna be from the perspective of the cops and hobos.

This might have changed by now, but that's what I remember reading back some odd months ago.

WalkingDead said:
McFarlane's working on a script to a new Spawn Film. It's a new take on Spawn, and nothing to do with the old one, from what I remember. It's supposed to be like a sort of mystery/suspense film about a "demon" in the bad alleys of NY. From what I remember Spawn isn't even going to be on screen that much, gonna be from the perspective of the cops and hobos.

This might have changed by now, but that's what I remember reading back some odd months ago.

That story was announced back in the late '90's.

Kevin Roegele said:
That story was announced back in the late '90's.

Yeah but not too long ago, McFarlance elaborated on it. He said he had the script almsot done and he was going to attempt to direct it. And it wasn't going to be a big movie, since he couldn't get the funding for a big movie.

From Jan 2006:
"I'm writing that script [for the new 'Spawn' movie] right now and if I'm not directing that movie this year, that would surprise me," says Todd McFarlane who plans to finance production of the film himself.

From Feb 2006:
Todd McFarlane said he is hoping for a second Spawn movie, which he really doesn't see as a sequel, to be in theaters in 2007. "I'm in the middle of the script and will have to do some rewriter, but I'm hoping by the end of the year, I'll be behind the camera," he said.

From Mar 2006:
Todd McFarlane repeated plans for the "Torso" movie, the new "Spawn" animation, and the live-action "Spawn" film he plans to finance, write, produce and direct himself by the end of the year for less than $10 million. The film was inspired by "Crash," which McFarlane says made a huge impact on him and shows you can make a successful film for less than $10 million.

All that can be found at: http://www.comics2film.com/ProjectFrame.php?f_id=103

Last I heard he finshed that scritp back in the 90s but no one wanted it. Sense spawn wasn't in it.

WalkingDead said:
the live-action "Spawn" film he plans to finance, write, produce and direct himself by the end of the year for less than $10 million.

Oh dear.

The problem with the first movie is that it's made by special effects guys, not directors and storytellers. The idea of MacFarlane himself attempting to direct.....bad idea.

There's supposed to be a new animated series as well, which is the only Spawn related project I'm interested in seeing. And that's based more in curiosity than excitement.

Dear god, They better not make a second one. the first was painfully awful.

The first one could've been great if they got better actors and actually went deeper into the story of Spawn.

Spawn in general is a very emotional story with deep underlying themes. In the end if you died and went to bad place, and you were given an choice as to see your love or remain tormented in bad place forever, would you sell your soul in order to be with the one you love?

Not that I plan on going to bad place or anything, but the question is very deep and emotional from the perspective of Al Simmons. The problem with the first movie is that they completely ignored the Heaven/bad place conflict, rather than having that be part of the central story, it's almost as if they completely ignored it and expected the audience to really understand Spawn's pain.

In the end it's almost as if Spawn finally accepts his fate, whereas in the comics, he never really accepts it and he's haunted by guilt and the love for Wanda.

I think they really missed the point of it all and just deviated too far from the source material. I mean, did any of us believe Al and Wanda were in love? In the movie it didn't seem like it, more or less to me it seemed like it was just a mutual meeting and didn't serve as an emotional connection between the two characters.

In the end, if they're going to do a Spawn movie, then they need to do a restart and find a better director, better actors, better special effects and visual team, and actually construct a story that fits the emotional complexity that is Spawn.

McFarlane has been rather unlucky, because every other comicbook property is being made into a movie right now - except the stuff that didn't hit big just before the boom took off, the pre-X-Men stuff like The Phantom and Spawn. Unfortunetly those films are too recent for studios to take another risk on them when they can just mine an untapped comicbook property with no bad vibes attached to it.

Everything in Spawn suck....
The movie sucked like no tomorrow, the comic books suck aswell, Spawn´s villains are just horrible....the only thing that doesn´t suck is the premise behind it all, the idea of Spawn.

So, my call is, restart the damn thing, and keep McFarlane out of it. Sure,t he man created it, but that was it, he never knew what to do with it.
Do a Blade out of Spawn, meaning, re-imagine it all. Keep what makes Spawn great (the government assassin part, the all love story of him wanting to came back for love of his wife, the fact that he is sterile...) and lose all the rest, it sucks.

PS - The all idea of making a movie from the perspective of the cops and hobos, the all inspired by "Crash", is great, but not as a Spawn movie. As a Spawn movie, it´s horrible, ridiculous and preposterous. Call it "Sam and Twitch" and get over it, but don´t think about calling "Spawn", because a Spawn movie is about, well, Spawn, Al Simmons.

ya i kinda posted a whole thread about this last week and mcfarlane talking about the new spawn, ges ya mised it

Isildur´s Heir said:
Everything in Spawn suck....
The movie sucked like no tomorrow, the comic books suck aswell, Spawn´s villains are just horrible....the only thing that doesn´t suck is the premise behind it all, the idea of Spawn.

So, my call is, restart the damn thing, and keep McFarlane out of it. Sure,t he man created it, but that was it, he never knew what to do with it.
Do a Blade out of Spawn, meaning, re-imagine it all. Keep what makes Spawn great (the government assassin part, the all love story of him wanting to came back for love of his wife, the fact that he is sterile...) and lose all the rest, it sucks.

PS - The all idea of making a movie from the perspective of the cops and hobos, the all inspired by "Crash", is great, but not as a Spawn movie. As a Spawn movie, it´s horrible, ridiculous and preposterous. Call it "Sam and Twitch" and get over it, but don´t think about calling "Spawn", because a Spawn movie is about, well, Spawn, Al Simmons.
I'd like to see them make a traditionally animated Spawn moving based on McFarlane's art style. That would be crazy.

I actually hope there is, if they can get it right, it'll be cool.

i have an issue of Rue Morgue magazine, from i want to say 2003, and in it, it has an interview with Steve Nile, around the release of Dark Days and he said he was working on a Spawn 2 script. If i remember correctly, he said it was gonna revolve more around Spawn, in the alley. There would be no clown, violater, Cogliostro, that big satan dude(i forget his name...not a big spawn fan) or any of that. Just Spawn in the alley, doing his thing.

there's probably more. If i can dig up the magazine, i'll post what he said.

WalkingDead said:

I remember this too...but I read it was going to be a Sam and Twitch movie with Spawn.

I remember reading an interview last year...on IGN, I think...saying Spawn 2 was still a go, but the animated series and Torso were first priority.

I want a sequel.

Actually, McFarlane once swore he'd never make a Spawn 2 - but he later told me in court that was only because I'd attached jump leads to his balls and threatened to roast his nuts unless he complied.

Hellion said:
I remember this too...but I read it was going to be a Sam and Twitch movie with Spawn.

I remember reading an interview last year...on IGN, I think...saying Spawn 2 was still a go, but the animated series and Torso were first priority.

I want a sequel.

I agree with you, a Spawn 2 would kick a**! Bring back the bad place Spawn & Violator.

I agree with Isildur,

Re-imagine Spawn, taking all the relevant stuff, but leaving out the crap, and totally forgetting the first movie.

Get an all new cast, no cute kid or dog, and have Spawn wear a cape for goodness sake. And it should be a hard R.

I would also leave out Clown.

Todd MacFarlane, several times.

According to his site (spawn.com) he's still working on the script for it.

Remake the frist one i didnt like it really...not very true to the comic i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"