The Avengers Will this be the biggest superhero movie ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought the beginning of May was the holy grail slot. But now it's like July has all the movies that break records. Or it has always been that way and I never noticed until recently.

They must teach math differently where you come from.
Looking at the Top 20 opening weekends of all time, there have been 10 (that's 50%) that opened in May. There were 3 (that's 15%) that opened in July. 4 opened in November, 2 in June, and 1 in March.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

They must teach math differently where you come from.
Looking at the Top 20 opening weekends of all time, there have been 10 (that's 50%) that opened in May. There were 3 (that's 15%) that opened in July. 4 opened in November, 2 in June, and 1 in March.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/weekends/

I'm sure the math is the same. :whatever:

Looking at the list I was right to think that May is a good month for movies and the top two movies opened in July and had great legs. I guess I mistook two movies (and a few released at the very end of June) as a sign that July was replacing May for the holy grail slot.

One only needs to compare the TDKR trailer to the Avengers trailer to see which movie will really matter. But as far as box office? Who knows. It might be pretty close. Maybe. I still think TDKR has a better chance at winning the summer.

One only needs to compare the TDKR trailer to the Avengers trailer to see which movie will really matter.

And here I was thinking a truly reasonable comparison could only be achieved by actually watching both films in their entirety, rather than the adverts. Silly me.

I love the new Batman movies more than most that I've seen in my lifetime, but I love the Marvel films just as much.

All this bickering is ridiculous, but it will never end. If Avengers is extremely successful, I can't see people on the BatBoard being happy about it. They might just **** on it more. That is a time when I hate being on that board because it is so one sided there and it is so hard to have a discussion there as a Marvel fan too.

It is a sin to respect both comic book side films these days.

And here I was thinking a truly reasonable comparison could only be achieved by actually watching both films in their entirety, rather than the adverts. Silly me.

lol come on. You honestly believe Avengers is gonna have more of an emotional resonance than TDKR? Nolan apparently has even managed to tap into the zeitgeist with his story. I'm sure Whedon will ground Avengers, but it cannot possibly compete with what Nolan is doing. Nolan's finishing up a (yes, epic) saga. Whedon is starting one, to the tune of NIN!!

Emotionally, definitely not. But Avengers will be great in it's own right. If nothing else, it will be pure solid entertainment...and what the **** is wrong with that?

Absolutely nothing!

lol come on. You honestly believe Avengers is gonna have more of an emotional resonance than TDKR? Nolan apparently has even managed to tap into the zeitgeist with his story. I'm sure Whedon will ground Avengers, but it cannot possibly compete with what Nolan is doing. Nolan's finishing up a (yes, epic) saga. Whedon is starting one, to the tune of NIN!!

....he's tapping his what into who....??
Oh, right....gotcha. He's bringing Occupy Wall Street to Gotham City. Hey, I'm all about the 99 Percenters, being one myself, but I just wonder how many folks are going to want to spend good money at the theater to watch a movie about the depressing economic crap they just got through watching on the evening news. I've got a strong feeling that the "Why So Serious?" Joker fans from TDK are going to be *seriously* turned off by Bane and Catwoman turned political activists for the redistribution of wealth.

Oh, and NIN kicks major ass. Having Trent on your soundtrack has never hurt any movie before --- The Crow; Natural Born Killers; Lost Highway; 300 trailer; etc.

Hopefully the next trailer will have a more appropriate score.

Who the **** are you to make that determination for anyone other than yourself? That's the problem with you fanboys. You can't see past your own nose.

YOU might be heading to the theater for "emotional resonance" or whatever other ******** buzzwords you read somewhere and decided to copy/paste to make yourself look smart, but there are a hell of a lot of other reasons why people go to the movies than the ridiculous ones you espouse. You think a 10-year old Thor fan gives two ****s about "tapping into the zeitgeist"? Or the guy who bought Avengers #1 when he was a kid and just thinks it's pretty cool that they're making a movie? Or Joe Blow who just wants to have a fun two hours? or me, who just likes superhero movies in general?

Nolan's a great filmmaker and his Batman movies are indeed awesome but guys like you place a significance on them that's pretentious at best and hilariously absurd at worst. Not to mention the juvenile pissing contests and endless, meaningless comparisons of films that aren't really even in the same genre once you look past the superheroic trappings. Grow up.

Who the **** are you to make that determination for anyone other than yourself? That's the problem with you fanboys. You can't see past your own nose.

YOU might be heading to the theater for "emotional resonance" or whatever other ******** buzzwords you read somewhere and decided to copy/paste to make yourself look smart, but there are a hell of a lot of other reasons why people go to the movies than the ridiculous ones you espouse. You think a 10-year old Thor fan gives two ****s about "tapping into the zeitgeist"? Or the guy who bought Avengers #1 when he was a kid and just thinks it's pretty cool that they're making a movie? Or Joe Blow who just wants to have a fun two hours? or me, who just likes superhero movies in general?

Nolan's a great filmmaker and his Batman movies are indeed awesome but guys like you place a significance on them that's pretentious at best and hilariously absurd at worst. Not to mention the juvenile pissing contests and endless, meaningless comparisons of films that aren't really even in the same genres once you look past the surface qualities. Grow up.

Outstanding.

These heated discussions bring out the best of people. So informing and entertaining.

And so far, the real intellectual responses are coming in defense of Avengers...not TDKR....zeitgeist...k.

TDKR definitely has the better trailer. Hopefully the next Avengers trailer has something that can measure up to the collapsing football field.

TDKR definitely has the better trailer. Hopefully the next Avengers trailer has something that can measure up to the collapsing football field.

According to RIM's twitter the next trailer is mindblowing

To me, seeing cap and Tony spar with words was better than any explosion. Lol

And here we go. For the record, I do want this movie to be good. But they seem to have made an actual effort into making it look as generic as possible, judging by that trailer. Fat cops running from 'splosions is not what I had in mind.

cherokeesam said:
....he's tapping his what into who....??
Oh, right....gotcha. He's bringing Occupy Wall Street to Gotham City. Hey, I'm all about the 99 Percenters, being one myself, but I just wonder how many folks are going to want to spend good money at the theater to watch a movie about the depressing economic crap they just got through watching on the evening news. I've got a strong feeling that the "Why So Serious?" Joker fans from TDK are going to be *seriously* turned off by Bane and Catwoman turned political activists for the redistribution of wealth.

I dunno. The same people that lined up for the previous movie about a terrorist blowing things up, maybe. And most fans are actually pretty excited about the story. I had my doubts, but I am impressed by what I'm hearing. And maybe I know way more than I wanted to know.

Oh, and NIN kicks major ass. Having Trent on your soundtrack has never hurt any movie before --- The Crow; Natural Born Killers; Lost Highway; 300 trailer; etc.

I kinda like NIN, I just think the song they used is kinda awful, even though it fits the tone they want I guess. I would've preferred not going with that kinda track and rather have some kind of score.

Whiskey Tango said:

Nolan's a great filmmaker and his Batman movies are indeed awesome but guys like you place a significance on them that's pretentious at best and hilariously absurd at worst. Not to mention the juvenile pissing contests and endless, meaningless comparisons of films that aren't really even in the same genres once you look past the surface qualities. Grow up.

Well, I guess that was a yes. Yes, I prefer a gripping story over generic flash. Guilty as charged. Oh, they are making an Avengers movie? How cool is that? I'm sorry, but I don't think Joe Blow or the random guy on the street should be the ones that determine what these movies should be. That might be picky as hell, but guess what, I love superheroes, and I'd like them to be important. They can be. Sadly I'm not getting those vibes from Avengers. Again, I'm sure Whedon will ground the characters, but that trailer just screams "omg teh avengerz r coming lizten to teh rockz muzick!11". I expected a lot more.

Oh, and Zeitgeist, guys.

Nolan's a great filmmaker and his Batman movies are indeed awesome but guys like you place a significance on them that's pretentious at best and hilariously absurd at worst. Not to mention the juvenile pissing contests and endless, meaningless comparisons of films that aren't really even in the same genre once you look past the superheroic trappings. Grow up.

27zc1oz.jpg

I found the football field explosion weak and fake looking, although I did enjoy seeing most of the Pittsburgh Steelers get blown up. (Go Ravens!)

Well, I guess that was a yes. Yes, I prefer a gripping story over generic flash. Guilty as charged. Oh, they are making an Avengers movie? How cool is that? I'm sorry, but I don't think Joe Blow or the random guy on the street should be the ones that determine what these movies should be. That might be picky as hell, but guess what, I love superheroes, and I'd like them to be important. They can be. Sadly I'm not getting those vibes from Avengers. Again, I'm sure Whedon will ground the characters, but that trailer just screams "omg teh avengerz r coming lizten to teh rockz muzick!11". I expected a lot more.

Holy **** dude. What is it about plain English that you don't get? Let me try again.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID ****ING RELENTLESS COMPARISONS BETWEEN THE GODDAMN BATMAN MOVIES AND EVERYTHING ELSE. 99.9999% OF HUMANITY DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN. I CANNOT SIMPLIFY THIS CONCEPT ANY FURTHER WITHOUT CRAYONS AND DRAWING PAPER.

Well, I guess that was a yes. Yes, I prefer a gripping story over generic flash. Guilty as charged. Oh, they are making an Avengers movie? How cool is that? I'm sorry, but I don't think Joe Blow or the random guy on the street should be the ones that determine what these movies should be. That might be picky as hell, but guess what, I love superheroes, and I'd like them to be important.
I'm confused. You're saying you don't think that Joe Blow or the random dude on the street should determine what these movies should be, yet here you are telling us what you think they movies should be.

Honestly, that post reads as "My opinion > theirs."

Last edited:
Whiskey Tango is my hero. Drinks are on me if you go to DragonCon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"