The Avengers Will this be the biggest superhero movie ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In any case, I'll just repeat what I've been saying in other boards.

The insistent need for fanbases to spark wars between each other is absolutely infuriating, and everybody involved should be embarrassed. It. Is. Embarrassing.

This is my favorite site, and it seems like I can't go anywhere on here anymore without fans having moronic arguments over which films are going to make more money, which films are going to mean more for their respective genres, and which films are going to receive the most accolades.

People conjuring up baseless rivalries between totally non-related properties. Fans insisting on turning every ****ing thing into a competition. Whoever likened it to a "dick measuring contest" summed it up perfectly.

I can't go into the Batman Boards without seeing "TDKR vs. The World" all over the place. I can't go here without reading people's reactions to something that was said on the Bat Boards. I can't go into the Prometheus or Hobbit threads without reading "Well, so-and-so's trailer was better." I'm excited for all of these films, and I can't enjoy discussing any of them with other fans without a pathetic pissing contest ensuing. As a FAN, both of superheroes and films, it's driving me crazy.

You don't have to like The Avengers. You don't have to like Batman. That's all well and good. Then don't talk about them. Leave their fans to enjoy them in their respective forums/threads, and just pretend they don't exist. Only on internet message boards do you see people *****ing and moaning over and over again about things they don't like or have little interest in.

And the greatest insult to fandom of all? These ulcer-inducing "box office debates." For the life of me, I will never understand the person who achieves some warped sense of superiority or validation out of having their film make more money than someone else's. People who brag about these things should be banned from places like this. They're an insult to superhero fans. Hell, they're an insult to film fans in general.

So in answering the question posed by this thread's title, I don't care. I don't care if this will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't care if TDKR will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't care if The Amazing Spider-Man will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't waste my time and energy caring about that stuff.

I just want films that I enjoy. That should be paramount to everything else.

But those of you who still insist on waging fictitious wars with other fanbases over something as subjective as film, you go ahead and embarrass yourselves and make places like the SHH! community a less enjoyable place to be. And I can only hope that, come next summer, the ban-hammer be swift and just.

Last edited:
I found the football field explosion weak and fake looking, although I did enjoy seeing most of the Pittsburgh Steelers get blown up. (Go Ravens!)

It wasn't the best CGI I ever seen but it did a better job of grabbing my attention than Avengers' exploding street. Both scenes are probably not done yet anyway.

Holy **** dude. What is it about plain English that you don't get? Let me try again.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR STUPID ****ING RELENTLESS COMPARISONS BETWEEN THE GODDAMN BATMAN MOVIES AND EVERYTHING ELSE. 99.9999% OF HUMANITY DOES NOT GIVE A DAMN. I CANNOT SIMPLIFY THIS CONCEPT ANY FURTHER WITHOUT CRAYONS AND DRAWING PAPER.

iLaughed

@ Whiskey Tango: Thank you so much for saying that.

It should be noted that this thread had been dead for quite a while before a hit-and-run poster who was pumping up his post count resurrected it for no reason. It was a low-key and rather civil discussion until certain people decided they needed to "prove" that their favorite franchise will out-gross The Avengers. That's when things got acrimonious because that attitude is calculated to get peoples' backs up, even if they don't really care about the question at hand.

The fact of the matter is that we can't know what will happen and that it does not matter. Not one cent of the box office revenue of either of those movies will go into the pockets of anyone on this site (shareholders of the respective studios excepted). What really matters is whether the films are an enjoyable experience for viewers.

The insistent need for fanbases to spark wars between each other is absolutely infuriating, and everybody involved should be embarrassed. It. Is. Embarrassing.

This.

I'm excited for all of these films, and I can't enjoy discussing any of them with other fans without a pathetic pissing contest ensuing. As a FAN, both of superheroes and films, it's driving me crazy.

Also this.

My head hurts. Happy Festivus.

And I'd love to go to DragonCon. It's not that much of a drive either!

Last edited:
Holy **** dude. What is it about plain English that you don't get? Let me try again.

NO ONE CARES....

Seems like you do. It's fine, just put me on ignore 'cause I think you'll need medication soon. I would have rather you responded to my post, or addressed the fact that I do hope this movie is good instead of trying to get a Rise :oldrazz: out of me with CAPS!

Boom said:
I'm confused. You're saying you don't think that Joe Blow or the random dude on the street should determine what these movies should be, yet here you are telling us what you think they movies should be.

Honestly, that post reads as "My opinion > theirs."

Yes, I do think my opinion (and that of a lot of fans on these boards) on these movies is worth a little more than the average joe's who goes crazy for TF3 as the best movie evar. I know how it sounds, and I'm not saying it makes me a better person, if that's what you're implying. Jesus I can't make a comment in here without people getting pissy. I haven't offended anyone personally. The other guy starts insulting me because "I take these movies too seriously" but then he starts going off on me like crazy :woot:

Whiskey Tango and CaptainStacy we'll make it happen.

Seems like you do.

No.

It's fine, just put me on ignore 'cause I think you'll need medication soon. I would have rather you responded to my post,

I did respond. Twice. Rather awesomely. And you have failed to respond in kind.

or addressed the fact that I do hope this movie is good

I'm sure you want it to be good, because no TRUE superhero fan would EVER want a superhero movie to fail. Under any circumstances.

However, judging by your past posts as well as the posts of your cohorts...well, you guys have some explaining to do because your behaviour has been terrible.

instead of trying to get a Rise :oldrazz: out of me

I could give a **** if you rise or not. Don't flatter yourself.

with CAPS!

Emphasizing your juvenile behaviour with BIG RED CAPS was an artistic decision. Surely you won't begrudge me that?

Yes, I do think my opinion (and that of a lot of fans on these boards) on these movies is worth a little more than the average joe's

You'd be wrong. And therein lies your problem.

Jesus I can't make a comment in here without people getting pissy.

Sure you can. You just have to... not be a dick.

I haven't offended anyone personally.

Except for the millions of people whose opinions you've marginalized because of your personal preferences.

The other guy starts insulting me because "I take these movies too seriously" but then he starts going off on me like crazy :woot:

Ah, the Victim card. Right on schedule.

Then why are you still responding to me? Obviously you care, otherwise you would leave this alone.

I did respond. Twice. Rather awesomely. And you have failed to respond in kind.

Nope. You responded with your artistic caps.

I'm sure you want it to be good, because no TRUE superhero fan would EVER want a superhero movie to fail. Under any circumstances.

However, judging by your past posts as well as the posts of your cohorts...well, you guys have some explaining to do because your behaviour has been terrible.

I don't want it to fail. I want it to be better than what it seems to be they have made.

I could give a **** if you rise or not. Don't flatter yourself.

?? Seems you were pretty intent on doing that before.

Emphasizing your juvenile behaviour with BIG RED CAPS was an artistic decision. Surely you won't begrudge me that?

What was so juvenile about my original post?

You'd be wrong. And therein lies your problem.

And why is that?

Sure you can. You just have to... not be a dick.

I don't think I was. But you took it as awfully personal for some reason. I'm sorry if other Batman fans come in here and rain down on this movie and you wanna take your frustration out on me or sumthin'. I rarely ever come in here. This is the most time I have ever spent in here.

Except for the millions of people whose opinions you've marginalized because of your personal preferences.

Oh come on now. Then why don't have that 10 year old write The Avengers movie? It could be great, or it could be total crap. That way we don't marginalize people.

Ah, the Victim card. Right on schedule.

Haha I knew you would spin it like that. We can do this all day, Whiskey-boy, altough there isn't much to discuss, except your level of excitement, maybe.

Oh please shut the ***** up, all of you. You're giving rabid Internet-fanboys are bad name. Especially the batfans. You're supposed to be smart, intelligent, artsy and close to the Zeitgeist and yet you constantly compare your male reproduction organs to those of others. What's wrong with you? Is it the dissappointment with a boring trailer and a third rate aluminium-age villain that drives you crazy?
And to the MCU defenders: you know, if you just ignore those people, they will go away themselves...

This is my favorite site, and it seems like I can't go anywhere on here anymore without fans having moronic arguments over which films are going to make more money, which films are going to mean more for their respective genres, and which films are going to receive the most accolades.

People conjuring up baseless rivalries between totally non-related properties. Fans insisting on turning every ****ing thing into a competition. Whoever likened it to a "dick measuring contest" summed it up perfectly.

I can't go into the Batman Boards without seeing "TDKR vs. The World" all over the place. I can't go here without reading people's reactions to something that was said on the Bat Boards. I can't go into the Prometheus or Hobbit threads without reading "Well, so-and-so's trailer was better." I'm excited for all of these films, and I can't enjoy discussing any of them with other fans without a pathetic pissing contest ensuing. As a FAN, both of superheroes and films, it's driving me crazy.

You don't have to like The Avengers. You don't have to like Batman. That's all well and good. Then don't talk about them. Leave their fans to enjoy them in their respective forums/threads, and just pretend they don't exist. Only on internet message boards do you see people *****ing and moaning over and over again about things they don't like or have little interest in.

And the greatest insult to fandom of all? These ulcer-inducing "box office debates." For the life of me, I will never understand the person who achieves some warped sense of superiority or validation out of having their film make more money than someone else's. People who brag about these things should be banned from places like this. They're an insult to superhero fans. Hell, they're an insult to film fans in general.

So in answering the question posed by this thread's title, I don't care. I don't care if this will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't care if TDKR will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't care if The Amazing Spider-Man will be the biggest superhero movie ever. I don't waste my time and energy caring about that stuff.

But those of you who still insist on waging fictitious wars with other fanbases over something as subjective as film, you go ahead and embarrass yourselves and make places like the SHH! community a less enjoyable place to be. And I can only hope that, come next summer, the ban-hammer be swift and just.
Word.

And why is that?
I can answer this one for you. Because your opinion holds no more weight than anyone else's. Once you realize that you may find that chronicling why people shouldn't enjoy things you don't isn't really worth your while.

Cheers

Oh please shut the ***** up, all of you. You're giving rabid Internet-fanboys are bad name. Especially the batfans. You're supposed to be smart, intelligent, artsy and close to the Zeitgeist and yet you constantly compare your male reproduction organs to those of others. What's wrong with you? Is it the dissappointment with a boring trailer and a third rate aluminium-age villain that drives you crazy?
And to the MCU defenders: you know, if you just ignore those people, they will go away themselves...

No, no, no! Don't spoil my fun! This thread is more entertaining than TV. :word:

Very well-spoken, and I certainly sympathize with the frustration with the e-peen dick-measuring wars going on here.

But in all seriousness: if you don't care about whether or not any given film is the biggest superhero movie ever, why did you even bother to check this thread in the first place, let alone post a long, eloquent rant in it....?

The thing that's really funny to me is exemplified by this 'i am the knight guy', and that is that nolan-worshippers aren't intelligent enough to realise that nolan's bat movies aren't anything but pretentious fluff that have the illusion of depth. If it's one thing I give nolan is that he is very skillful at fooling the feeble-minded.

The thing that's really funny to me is exemplified by this 'i am the knight guy', and that is that nolan-worshippers aren't intelligent enough to realise that nolan's bat movies aren't anything but pretentious fluff that have the illusion of depth. If it's one thing I give nolan is that he is very skillful at fooling the feeble-minded.
Couldn't disagree more. This is basically the exact same stance as he has taken, but the opposite side of the coin. Don't see what the point of posting it was.

We Wait & See In 2012?
In My analyze Marvel Movie have better profit in all world than DC Movies
We Can Look Where is Marvel Movie Success bigger? Spider-Man Trilogy, Iron-Man, & Transformers Trilogy
if We can look from DC movie success bigger? Just One Batman or TDK
So who is can talking now???

I agree Nolanites really exaggerate and overpraise his films. Also, coming here just to insult the Avengers seems pointless, but I strongly disagree that the movies are "pretentious fluff that have the illusion of depth." Well I think you could make the argument that Inception is not a deep movie, just a very well made and smart movie. But I think you're referring to his whole filmography.

I won't get into it in an Avengers thread, but go to the "Cultural Subtext" thread in TDKR board to see more. I don't think it's pretentious to make a film that reflects on the concerns of the day. Just saying.

Feeble-minded as we may be, we have the goddamn dignity to refrain from defaming Joss Whedons work and his fans.

Way to go chewy, captain rogers, etc., for backing up the nolanite troll whose coming to a thread for THE AVENGERS for the sole purpose of pissing off MARVEL fans, and trying to tear down someone whose countering him. AWESOME!

Last edited:
Feeble-minded as we may be, we have the goddamn dignity to refrain from defaming Joss Whedons work and his fans.

Uh, nooooo, bub. I've only become this antagonistic because of innumerable nolanites who try to defame the work of any other CBM that isn't from nolan. You may not be that way, and if not that's to your credit, but don't think your ilk isn't. This guy came here to defame THE AVENGERS franchise as fluff, and by doing so deliberately aggravate fans of this franchise.

Wonder if we'd have more peace if Nolan was making the avengers. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back