Will This Film Actually be Released?

Discussion in 'The New Mutants' started by Dasher10, Dec 8, 2017.

?

Will New Mutants See Release?

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

Fox have tons of pg-13/g movies and tv shows - the Blue Sky films, Percy Jackson, Home Alone, Maze Runner, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, The Martian, Cast Away, Devil Wears Prada, etc... Aliens/Predator are like what 1% of Fox catalogue. The Simpsons and Avatar are already heading to Disney+. The Nat Geo shows would probably show up as those are educational shows and for all ages. Also before Comcast decided to sell Hulu, Disney already got 60% of Hulu. An asset is an asset.

2. ludovica

ludovica Daddy Feige notice me!

People in the business papers speculated that if the Hulu thing hadn't gone through the Mouse would have sold the "mature" properties.
    Luckily it seems we still can not discard a Wolverine vs Predator vs Alien movie sometime in the far future. :D

3. Mysteryman

Mysteryman Registered

Wolverine wins that.

ludovica likes this.
  4. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Registered

Has anyone changed their mind in the wake of the Dark Phoenix disaster?

Tymminator and ludovica like this.
  5. samsnee

samsnee Ok

They should if they haven’t. This movie is going to lose money so I wouldn’t spend a dime advertising it.

6. psylockolussus

If Dark Phoenix is now projected to only make 80 million plus in North America, I just wonder how lower the numbers would be for the New Mutants. Without reshoots, the New Mutants wouldn't have a gigantic loss, but who really wants a film associated with the mutants to gross less than $50 million in North America?

In my opinion, if they want to make some money from it, then send it straight to streaming/cable networks. But no theaterical release, unless Disney have no intention of making a New Mutants film in the future then let it compete at the box office.

Xeno likes this.
  7. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Not really. I stand by my belief they should release it but not spend any money on reshoots. Dark Phoenix would reinforce that idea.

Dark Phoenix lost money, but Disney didn't lose anything. It was a sunk cost by the time they acquired it and they didn't spend money for the purpose of specifically acquiring that one film. I'm sure the producers of the film were disappointed by its results. I'm sure the people who greenlit the film (if they still work for Disney) might have concerns. But I can't imagine Disney is all that upset that a movie they spent no money on didn't make that much money.

New Mutants is the same way. Unless Disney thinks they can massively improve it, it seems smarter to just release it. It isn't going to lose them any money because they didn't spend any money on it.

Milk Tray Guy and Kahran Ramsus like this.
  8. samsnee

samsnee Ok

Yeah but I would bury it just because if there are characters that they want to use in the MCU eventually, best not to let them be seen in the Fox version first.

9. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

Eh, people will forget. Either people will see the movie (and it will make money) or they won't remember it. I don't think the trailer even mentioned the characters by name so it's not like those who didn't see the movie would even know who was in it.

10. Enriquespy

Enriquespy Registered

This movie has my curiosity, At least I hope for a stream release or something like that.

11. psylockolussus

And Disney could also just forget that it eXist. Problem solved.

Dark Raven and Xeno like this.
  12. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

You know what, there's no point continuing this conversation since you don't actually want to discuss this in good faith.

13. psylockolussus

What good faith, unless you want to tarnish the legacy of the franchise even more, then pray that Disney releases a 1 and done unology that more people would skip in theaters than Dark PhoeniX.

You haven't given a reason why this film being released is good for the FoX-Men marvel nor why its important for people to see this "version" of the New Mutants in theaters. Also, like I already said, if they can't shelve it then just release it in streaming. You would still see the film in that and This is not gonna be the first film (that was plan for a theaterical release) that heads direct to a streaming service. And I already said that if Disney has no plans for a New Mutants film within the mcu then okay but we don't lnow that. Ans I'd rather see a more faithful film adaptation of the New Mutants in theaters even if that takes 30 years from now to happen, than have the first NM film underperformed/flopped at the boX office and be part of the laughing stock.

#63 psylockolussus, Jun 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  14. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

This version is the version we have. It's the only version that anyone has made and it's the only version there have even been hints anyone has plans to make. Additionally, from a non-comic book perspective, people have been following this development for a long time and might be curious to see what the end result is. There have been reports that the cast is very good. Of those I'm familiar with, I tend to agree. I'd love to see Maisie Williams as Raine and Ana Taylor Joy as Ilyana.

Kevin Feige has indicated repeatedly that any X-Men plans are on the back burner. Even if they have plans, it'll likely be four or five years before they appear on screen. This movie could be released and forgotten well before those plans are actualized. And the first X-Men film isn't likely to be a New Mutants film. I'd go so far as to argue that they might be slating in an X-Men film every couple years to squeeze it in with the rest so the New Mutants as a cohesive group are unlikely to appear for a long time.

You talk about tarnishing a legacy. First off, I don't see why preservation of a legacy is a good goal in and of itself. Second off, I think you underestimate the ability of people to only look at the good. I think there are two great Godfather movies. I've never seen the third. If it comes up at all, it's to say that I'm ignoring it. Also, do you know what also looks bad? Having filmed an entire movie that they don't end up releasing. It's not like people are unaware of that.

Hellion likes this.
  15. The Infernal

The Infernal Mky Mk

I don't fancy New Mutants chances. Talks of re-shoots and more date moving seem like smoke and mirrors at this point. All signs point to a product they're not confident in and releasing it would mean the new paymasters would have to expend money, even sans re-shoots.

psylockolussus likes this.
  16. psylockolussus

Again Disney could release it in streaming (Hulu) and you don't see anyone ranting about The New Mutants' multiple delays now do we? Xpecially after Dark PhoeniⓍ's release.

Dark Raven likes this.
  17. Detective Conan

Detective Conan Registered

So Simon Kinberg is apparently going to be doing reshoots on New Mutants.

Does anyone actually think it’s a good idea to be doing reshoots after the disastrous box office run of this movie? Especially if same guy who’s doing the reshoots is the very same dude who directed that very same film that’s flopping so hard at the box office right now? Seems kind of insane.

Maestro216 likes this.
  18. imbruglia

imbruglia Registered

he actually said nothing about NM on that interview. they quote his interview few wks ago.

19. Mike Murdock

Mike Murdock Registered

I'd have no problem with it being released on Hulu.

Honestly, Dark Phoenix isn't even the big concern here. The last time he did reshoots for somebody else's movie was Fantastic Four. The only redeeming thing here is it at least doesn't seem rushed while that had to Frankenstein an ending to a movie where one didn't exist before.