The Wolverine Will this really be a better film?

The one really good think i though Origins did well was the way it ended with Logan/Victors realtionship before logan loses his memory, i like how the last time they will have seen each other prior to x1 was fighting a common enemey yet after that Victor just jumps off the collpasing building and we dont know what happens to him.

the Weapon X project when they injected the adamantium into Logan looked way way waaaaaaay better in the X2 flashback than it did in Origins

for the sequel they have an awesome director and a great writer. already a step up from the first, but to be honest i don't have high expectations for this film. i'll still most likely watch it though and it may be a great stand alone film

Action wise i don't think it will be because i think that this one will have more of a story and will be more calmed down then the first one because in the first one it seemed like every 5 minutes there was an action scene. I am hoping the action part can be like The Last Samurai which was able to balance action and story.

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins. Some, like me, feel that it wasn't perfect and could have needed some different things happening...but was still a fun interesting movie.

Origins was not the only X movie that got the comic continuity wrong...so laying all blame on it about that is unfair.

So my answer to the threads title is.....maybe it will be better....let's hear more about it before we start grumbling.

Thank You! "We" all don't think Wolverine was as bad as some seem to say. Like a1ant said, there are lots of people who rave about Wolverine. While I wouldn't go that far, there is a lot to like about that film.

Having said that, I do think that Wolverine 2 will top Origins in every way. The same way SM2 topped Spider-Man, X2 over X1 and TDK over BB. A 7/10 origin film followed by a 10/10 instant classic. Everything is in place... great story to adapt, great director, great writer, big enough budget and a devoted Hugh Jackman!

I think both The Wolverine and First Class ar going to be dramatic improvements over the last couple of X-movies. From the talent and direction these projects are taking, it is sounding more like Fox is getting their act together.

Two facts:

"The Wolverine" can in no way be worse than "Origins".

"First Class" can in no way be worse than "X3".

One truth:

I thought it was impossible that Origins could be worse than X3, and it was...

So anything can happen.

-------------------------------
Like Superhero films and tv shows?
visit: www.justicebulletin.com

Two facts:

"The Wolverine" can in no way be worse than "Origins".

"First Class" can in no way be worse than "X3".

One truth:

I thought it was impossible that Origins could be worse than X3, and it was...

So anything can happen.

My biggest issue with both X3 and Wolverine: Origins was not that they were the worst superhero movies made. They weren't. Not even close in fact. There are many more films more deserving of the title. My biggest frustration is that they were infuriatingly mediocre. And they both had great material to draw from.

"The Gift" is one of my favorite modern X-men comics. Great inspiration for a movie. But X3 had too many things thrown into it, and it suffered. It wasn't all that bad really. But the problem was that it COULD have been so much more.

Wolverine's origin and Weapon X days are GREAT material. So many good stories you could take from there. Again, what we got, while not all that good, wasn't horrible, and the maddening mediocrity of it was worse to me then if it had been a Ghost Rider or Batman and Robin.

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins. Some, like me, feel that it wasn't perfect and could have needed some different things happening...but was still a fun interesting movie.

Origins was not the only X movie that got the comic continuity wrong...so laying all blame on it about that is unfair.

So my answer to the threads title is.....maybe it will be better....let's hear more about it before we start grumbling.
And that is why you're one of my favourite mods. :)

My biggest issue with both X3 and Wolverine: Origins was not that they were the worst superhero movies made. They weren't. Not even close in fact. There are many more films more deserving of the title. My biggest frustration is that they were infuriatingly mediocre. And they both had great material to draw from.

"The Gift" is one of my favorite modern X-men comics. Great inspiration for a movie. But X3 had too many things thrown into it, and it suffered. It wasn't all that bad really. But the problem was that it COULD have been so much more.

Wolverine's origin and Weapon X days are GREAT material. So many good stories you could take from there. Again, what we got, while not all that good, wasn't horrible, and the maddening mediocrity of it was worse to me then if it had been a Ghost Rider or Batman and Robin.

I completely agree.

Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men and the Claremont/Byrne run are my two favorite X-Men runs of all time and X3 manages to make a mediocre mess out of the most iconic plot elements from both of them.

As for Wolverine, it is by FAR the most boring telling of Wolverine's origin ever conceived, IMO. I think I'd rather take any interpretation over that one.

True, they weren't the worst but boy were they a let down. Things seemed promising when Vaughn was announced to do X3 but when ratner stepped in I was worried. But then the trailer hit and I thought that it was going to be amazing but alas it was crammed, rushed and poorly thought out.

With wolverine I truly thought fox and jackman had learnt a lesson from X3 but they hadn't and another cliched flick had been produced.

I completely agree.

Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men and the Claremont/Byrne run are my two favorite X-Men runs of all time and X3 manages to make a mediocre mess out of the most iconic plot elements from both of them.

As for Wolverine, it is by FAR the most boring telling of Wolverine's origin ever conceived, IMO. I think I'd rather take any interpretation over that one.

That's what got to me really. It wasn't horrible, it was just blah. It was a watered down version of some great stories. Origin could be it's own movie, and it's actually quite poignant, especially with Wolverine's accidental killing of Rose at the end. Had they expounded on that plot solely and had Victor more of a character then Dog was in the original it could have been really cool.

Or take Weapon X itself. Wolverine being turned into Weapon x was a horrific experience, and it was not so much what they did to him physically, but mentally. They literally tried to strip any form of humanity away from him. We completley lost this in the movie. The bonding process held none of the horror of the original comics, or even Singer's brief scenes of the bonding process in X1 and X2.

the wolverine is going to be a stand alone film pretty much like the hulk 2003 was to
the incredible hulk 2008 .

I think both The Wolverine and First Class ar going to be dramatic improvements over the last couple of X-movies. From the talent and direction these projects are taking, it is sounding more like Fox is getting their act together.

not only did they fix the x men franchise they finally let Robert Rodriguez do his predators film and 20th Century Fox hired sir Ridley Scott to direct a prequel to the classic sci-fi film Alien.

fox hired Michael Apted to direct The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Last edited:
What Aranofsky is saying is already better than Origins.

You know, Wolverine is a mixed bag for me. Its not a good movie, but I enjoy watching Liev so much as Sabertooth(which is really a compliment since I never cared for the character), that I find I can watch this film. IMHO he steals every scene from Jackman. I also enjoyed the fight on top of the smokestack.

I still have issues with Jackmans Wolverine - hes just too pretty. Hes needs to be gruffed up.

To answer your question though, yes this is sure to be a better film with Aronofsky involved.

Last edited:
I like Liev as Sabertooth too, my problem with origins is that I just found it incredibly boring.

Are people really defending X-Men Origins: Wolverine? That film was ash!

Will this film be better? It has Aronofsky behind the lens...it already is better!

Will this film be better? It has Aronofsky behind the lens...it already is better!

This. If Fox isn't stupid enough to meddle with Aronofsky then this film could be really good. He's gotten much, much better since he was attached to Batman Year One and there's more faith in him to do great as well as him having faith in himself to do an amazing job.

The key here is to bring out Wolverine's violent tendencies and explore them along with is emotions. How does this guy end up where he was at the beginning of X-1.

This. If Fox isn't stupid enough to meddle with Aronofsky then this film could be really good. He's gotten much, much better since he was attached to Batman Year One and there's more faith in him to do great as well as him having faith in himself to do an amazing job.

The key here is to bring out Wolverine's violent tendencies and explore them along with is emotions. How does this guy end up where he was at the beginning of X-1.

See, the problem for me, concerning Wolverine's arc as a character in the films is that things were handled so poorly in X3 and Origins, (worse in Origins) I just don't care all that much.

In Origins, we needed to see Wolverine at his darkest. In the comics, Logan was not a nice man when he worked for the government. He killed a lot of people, and a part of him liked it. It set the groundwork for his struggle with the animal. And then all the intense physical and mental abuse he suffered during the Weapon X bonding process nearly drove all his humanity away from him.

Once you understand this, we can see why Wolverine has such a hard time with his animalistic nature. The problem with these films is that this issue was either
A.) Never addressed, as the first three X-men movies completely ignored it
B.) Handled extremely poorly, as in Origins.

This is why I have a hard time getting excited for this next Wolverine movie, or the X-men first class film. It's because these films are connected to a film universe I'm not a big fan of. I was okay with the first two X-men, but Origins and X3 put a bad taste in my mouth. Origins more then anything. The only real problems I had with X3 were Cyclops, "killing" professor X, and Wolverine apparently channeling Cyclops' ghost and turning into him.

I understand, those 3 problems killed X3 for me. I hated it. The original script I heard was much better but after Singer left, they pretty much changed the script to making Wolverine Cyclops and killing off Cyclops himself in addition to stupid changes.

I'm trying to get excited too but its hard knowing that Fox may interfere and screw it up.

The continuity is already shot and Fox has no idea how to handle or finish these films. They have no idea where they're going to go after The Wolverine or Deadpool. They have no idea when or if there's going to be an X4 (They better figure out a way to bring back Cyclops). They don't know what the bad place they're doing and as of now they're just winging it. Singer's so far up his own ash I'm not as enthusiastic about his involvement in X-men: FC, especially considering all the changes for it from the source material.

See, the problem for me, concerning Wolverine's arc as a character in the films is that things were handled so poorly in X3 and Origins, (worse in Origins) I just don't care all that much.

In Origins, we needed to see Wolverine at his darkest. In the comics, Logan was not a nice man when he worked for the government. He killed a lot of people, and a part of him liked it. It set the groundwork for his struggle with the animal. And then all the intense physical and mental abuse he suffered during the Weapon X bonding process nearly drove all his humanity away from him.

Once you understand this, we can see why Wolverine has such a hard time with his animalistic nature. The problem with these films is that this issue was either
A.) Never addressed, as the first three X-men movies completely ignored it
B.) Handled extremely poorly, as in Origins.

This is why I have a hard time getting excited for this next Wolverine movie, or the X-men first class film. It's because these films are connected to a film universe I'm not a big fan of. I was okay with the first two X-men, but Origins and X3 put a bad taste in my mouth. Origins more then anything. The only real problems I had with X3 were Cyclops, "killing" professor X, and Wolverine apparently channeling Cyclops' ghost and turning into him.

i agree totally.

me personally i wish they had done first class and the wolverine in japan instead of but the poor quality orgins movie has forced them to do what they are doing now.

they saw that first class is a sort of vague sequel in the same fashion that superman returns is a vague sequel.

and wolverine is a reboot starting hugh jackman. so it will be a very realistic wolverine where only wolverine exists and not other mutants.

i actually cannot understand the dislike of x3. sure the tone is slightly different from that of x2 & x1. but it is not the horrible film that people make out to be.

Orgins should have motivated fox to just complete reboot with First Class (cyclops,storm, ice ma, angel and a human looking beast w/ professor x) and a New wolveine actor in his own spinoff.

but now they have decided to confuse is even further with continuity boo boos.

I didn't enjoy Origins very much other then seeing Wade Wilson in the beginning and I liked Liev Schreiber as Sabretooth but not so much his appearance. I remember when I heard a sequel was confirmed I had absolutely no interest in going to see it but now that Darren Aronofsky was directing it teased some interest and then after hearing what Aronofsky had to say about his vision I gotta say I'm very interested in seeing what he does with it.

Two words. Darren Aronofsky.

It already has a good chance to be the best of the X-men series altogether.

Between Japan, Aronofsky, and it being a stand alone movie i'm actually optimistic. Maybe Fox is starting to learn.

Count me as still very skeptical about First Class.

I think it has potential to be a very good movie.
It will be definitely superior to the previous movie, which was horrible btw!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"