The Wolverine Will this really be a better film?

Anyone else HATE the whole "James Howlett" crap??

I seriously wish they had never put that junk in the cannon. I hope someone retcons it soon.

Please.

I'm not the biggest X-fan in general, and Wolverine hasn't traditionally been a character I'm crazy about. I never even bothered to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and have no plans on seeing it any time soon. But I freaking can't wait for this movie.

Why? Because of Darren Aronofsky.

The way I see it, every one of his films is an event worth looking forward to, and this is no different. His involvement instantly puts this up there amongst my most anticipated superhero films. Between this, and Jason Aaron - one of the best writers in comics today - writing the monthly ongoing, I find myself grudgingly becoming a fan of Wolverine.

I'm not the biggest X-fan in general, and Wolverine hasn't traditionally been a character I'm crazy about. I never even bothered to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and have no plans on seeing it any time soon. But I freaking can't wait for this movie.

Why? Because of Darren Aronofsky.

The way I see it, every one of his films is an event worth looking forward to, and this is no different. His involvement instantly puts this up there amongst my most anticipated superhero films. Between this, and Jason Aaron - one of the best writers in comics today - writing the monthly ongoing, I find myself grudgingly becoming a fan of Wolverine.

When I heard Darren was doing this I sat down for a few minutes and smiled like an idiot. This is the greatest news I had all year in 2010. I had a pretty terrible year (lost my job, wife left me) but this was a ray of light.

Origins shoulda been the definitive Wolverine movie. It shoulda been incredible. After I saw it, I thought the character was finished :csad: I really didn't see any way to repair the damage made.

Then Darren happened and I just couldn't believe it. We're in for what will perhaps be the next step of evolution in the comic book movie world. Darren can transcend Chris Nolan's Batman flicks. He's better than Nolan. He can actually make Wolverine into a character like Alex DeLarge. A character that can be respected by more than just comic fans.

I told all my friends long before Black Swan came out, just from seeing the trailer, that it was a guaranteed bet at Oscar nominations and such and here we are. It won't surprise me if Darren takes Logan to the Oscars too.

^^I'm very happy to hear the news gave you some cheer.

and I agree, Aronofsky will do a damned good job with this.
Unfortunately, it'll probably be a cold day in hell before Wolvie shows up in the Oscar Noms

nom nom

The first Wolverine movie was an abomination. How a movie with talented people involved could come out that bad boogles the mind. That piece of **** wasn't just bad, it was Ghost Rider-bad.

But now, with Darren Aronofsky directing this new feature, The Wolverine is my number one most anticipated comic book film, above even The Dark Knight Rises.

They should use this costume
Wolverine_001.jpg

I don't think Wolverine will even have a costume in the movie. This is before his X-Men days - I imagine he'll spend the whole film in street clothes.

Yeah, I don't see Jackman walking around Tokyo in superhero duds, although, I've been thinking alot about the way Darren might adapt it after seeing Black Swan, and I wouldn't be surprised if during the opera scene Logan puts on a costume to attack Katsuyori. It would be a cool nod to the books and he'd blend in alot better with the guys in colorful kimonos on the stage than if he had on the wifebeater and jeans :awesome:

Hey guys new here but I'll throw my input in on the new film:

1. I'm very excited to see how the Japan story is approached. I'm not in the category of people who didn't care much for Origins. I do admit their where parts I felt where convulted or too rushed in some instances but overall I was pretty happy with the film.

2. I would actually like to see some reference to Wolverine's mask in this new film. Granted I could understand Singers reasons for not including it in the original X Men movie but I think,they could approach it tastefully. i don't even think you have to even put the mask On Jackman. Show some suit of Samurai armor that includes a helmet that distantly "echoes" what the character wears in the comic books. Another character explains what this particular mask represents and find a clever way to tie it into the films plot and Wolverines emotional state at the time. Yadda,yadda,yadda.

3. I think by this time in Wolverines movie history fans,even one's not familiar with the comic know enough about him from the films alone to not have to bulg this down with all sorts of back story. Strip away all the history the past films have built up and just make this about a man and how he's the best at what he does. Simply put, make this about Wolverine and nothing but.

The first Wolverine movie was an abomination. How a movie with talented people involved could come out that bad boogles the mind. That piece of **** wasn't just bad, it was Ghost Rider-bad.

But now, with Darren Aronofsky directing this new feature, The Wolverine is my number one most anticipated comic book film, above even The Dark Knight Rises.

I'm with you all the way on Wolverine actually pushing Dark Knight Rises to #2 on my 2012 must see list :woot:

also, I had some fun last night with my mac and did a re-edit of Origins. I was able to put together a decent cut of the film after rearranging some scenes and adding some footage from the other films. It runs about an hour even.

I scrapped the entire third act of the film and removed the stuff with Victor and Stryker setting up Logan. The stuff in Africa I also trimmed so only Logan and Victor are "above human" (I took out Dominic Monaghan's "powers" whatever they were and dropped the scene where they raid the diamond smugglers). It also opens differently and ends differently and I added some closing credits (like the trilogy) to give it more substance.

In closure, there was a good film underneath the kids movie (what was before a low "D" for me is now a "B-") I'll upload it on rapidshare when I finish the score. I'm using some obscure bits by John Murphy to give it a Darren Aronofsky feel :cwink:

Last but not least, I ditched the title and named it "Origin". Always hated the X-Men Origins title, even before I knew the film was terrible.

Last edited:
2. I would actually like to see some reference to Wolverine's mask in this new film. Granted I could understand Singers reasons for not including it in the original X Men movie but I think,they could approach it tastefully. i don't even think you have to even put the mask On Jackman. Show some suit of Samurai armor that includes a helmet that distantly "echoes" what the character wears in the comic books. Another character explains what this particular mask represents and find a clever way to tie it into the films plot and Wolverines emotional state at the time. Yadda,yadda,yadda.

I've previously thought about that idea. :up:

I love Darren A.'s movies but I still am wondering how he will do as an action-heavy movie director. I hope the movie is not at all convoluted like the Fountain, or a mixed timeline (let's throw in action and let the audience figure out how the story came together) type crap like the HK movie Hero.

I love Huge Jackman in the role. So whatever comes next, I feel inclined to believe it will be enjoyable. I think he really captures the essence of the character. I hear he will be considerably bigger in this film. That should be wild!

I personally liked Origins, but I agree (with most people if not all) that it could've been much much better. I'm a Gambit fan, so naturally I was really happy he appeared (okay okay, I almost squealed), though he had nothing to do in the movie and was put down too much by Wolverine. I think Gambit is smarter than Wolverine. But anyways, that's not the point. I'll get there hopefully.

First, I think the costumes as in the comics just don't work in the movies. They're just too abstract and will make it a freak show, if you ask me. So, the costumes in the X-movies were sort of the line. Whoever walks in bright yellow while infiltrating the enemy's hideout.

I though Origins was a bit of a soft movie. It should've had a higher rating, more blood and Wolverine's animalistic nature. Even Sabretooth was not as animalistic as he should've been. Though I think the actor that played Sabretooth in the X-trilogy was ****, he was more animalistic (and dumb too!) than in Origins. I think they should've mixed the two and made it a more realistic character. Though I think Liev did a good job. It's all about the writers and the directors how a character will turn out and an actor can only so much to influence that.

I think in theory the new movie can be an improvement, provided that they raise the rating, show more of Wolverine's (and Sabretooth's) animalistic nature, and the struggle against it. Also Wolvie's lack of memory could present a good opportunity to address this struggle.

I'm not familiar with Aronofski's work, so I can't say a thing about it. But if he is as good as you say he is he should be able to deliver a quality movie and I have a little hope of that. I will go see it, though Wolverine is not nearly my favourite character. And unlike many fans, I believe Hugh Jackman is the right man for the job. He can do it, but he's also bound by the writers' and director's wishes.

So, there we have it, and I think I did make my point. ;)

I'm not familiar with Aronofski's work, so I can't say a thing about it. But if he is as good as you say he is he should be able to deliver a quality movie and I have a little hope of that.

Dude start renting dvds or do netflix like me. Pi, Requiem For a Dream, The Fountain, The Wrestler, Black Swan...I welcome you to Grade A Cinema :yay:

Dudette. ;)

I might. I might not. I'm not getting my hopes up too much. In the end they'll probably screw up anyways...

Wish Aronofsky had done them from the beginning.

A Daronofsky Weapon X story would have been incredible. Follow that with the Japan storyline.

EPIC :wow:

Dudette. ;)

I might. I might not. I'm not getting my hopes up too much. In the end they'll probably screw up anyways...

Well, Ms. Nevaratoiel :-)woot:), if you start watching Darren's movies your hopes for this film will improve a whole lot. The man doesn't know how to make a bad movie. He works on very little money yet his work is more ambitious than Chris Nolan's (which cost 50 times as much).

I don't know how Jackman and Fox got him to do this, but whatever they did, whatever they paid him, I'm just glad it worked.

I recommend you watch The Wrestler and The Fountain before the rest of the bunch. They're probably the closest to what this will be, which is a journey of isolation for a very determined yet detached hero. The characters in those films (one of them also portrayed by Jackman) are men who have a very difficult existential goal that ironically fuels the very solitude they dread living in [because of that goal]. They have the best of intentions for what they are doing (Wolverine just wants to be with Mariko) but the pursuit of this ideal is perhaps more damaging to them than actually obtaining it. They also fail to realize that if they weren't so tenacious they'd probably enjoy life a little more - which applies a great deal to all three Tom, Randy and Logan who could easily indulge his savage nature and live life like Sabertooth but refuses to and keeps looking for human things to do even though they keep going bad for him. Of course for us they wouldn't be very interesting if they just lived and let live :cwink:

I recommend you watch The Wrestler and The Fountain before the rest of the bunch. They're probably the closest to what this will be, which is a journey of isolation for a very determined yet detached hero. The characters in those films (one of them also portrayed by Jackman) are men who have a very difficult existential goal that ironically fuels the very solitude they dread living in [because of that goal]. They have the best of intentions for what they are doing (Wolverine just wants to be with Mariko) but the pursuit of this ideal is perhaps more damaging to them than actually obtaining it. They also fail to realize that if they weren't so tenacious they'd probably enjoy life a little more - which applies a great deal to all three Tom, Randy and Logan who could easily indulge his savage nature and live life like Sabertooth but refuses to and keeps looking for human things to do even though they keep going bad for him. Of course for us they wouldn't be very interesting if they just lived and let live :cwink:

I own The Wrestler and The Fountain on Blu-ray and I never realized how much all three characters (Wolverine included) had in common. You hit the nail on the head

I own The Wrestler and The Fountain on Blu-ray and I never realized how much all three characters (Wolverine included) had in common. You hit the nail on the head

Yeah I pretty much made the correlation as soon as I heard Darren was flirting with the idea of directing this. He loves the tortured soul/loner types.

I really hope we get some classic Aronofsky steadicam shots following Logan from behind as he walks into a bar in Tokyo or into some cagefight :yay:

Have you seen Black Swan yet?

No I've not seen it yet. I think we'll hit that one up when in comes out on blu-ray :D

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Remember how Wolverine Origins had a badass trailer. Dark and gritty. Like a Dark Knight treatment for Wolverine? What did we get? You know the drill.

My concerns:
- Will take forever to come out so I dont want to get hype yet, just to get let down
- It will most likely be PG-13! A super hero movie can work in PG-13, but for Wolverine it should be R. However R = less merchandising for the kiddies.

I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Remember how Wolverine Origins had a badass trailer. Dark and gritty. Like a Dark Knight treatment for Wolverine? What did we get? You know the drill.

My concerns:
- Will take forever to come out so I dont want to get hype yet, just to get let down
- It will most likely be PG-13! A super hero movie can work in PG-13, but for Wolverine it should be R. However R = less merchandising for the kiddies.

You can do a Wolverine movie well in Pg-13. You just have to be more creative with the violence.

I'm more concerned with the storytelling. It wasn't the rating that killed Origins, it was the poor storytelling and handling of the material. We could have gotten a dark, gritty Wolverine film in a Pg-13 rating. Obviously, I do think that Wolverine as a character lends himself to an R rating more then other heroes, but you don't need to have an R rating to make a good movie.

An ideal Wolverine movie should be R, but that does not mean a good, or great Wolverine film can't be made with a PG-13 rating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"