The Wolverine Will this really be a better film?

An ideal Wolverine movie should be R, but that does not mean a good, or great Wolverine film can't be made with a PG-13 rating.

I'd agree. And even then, I'd say only ideal depending on the storyline. For this storyline, with Shingin, you don't really need an R rating. Sure, he kills a butt ton of ninjas, but it wasn't like the fights in the comics were super gory. You could make those fights work in Pg-13.

For the Weapon X storyline though, I'd say you would ideally want an R rating. A proper Weapon X storyline that really delves into not only the physical but emotional and mental torture Wolverine undergoes would definitely benefit from an R rating.

You can do a Wolverine movie well in Pg-13. You just have to be more creative with the violence.

I'm more concerned with the storytelling. It wasn't the rating that killed Origins, it was the poor storytelling and handling of the material. We could have gotten a dark, gritty Wolverine film in a Pg-13 rating. Obviously, I do think that Wolverine as a character lends himself to an R rating more then other heroes, but you don't need to have an R rating to make a good movie.

True but Rating can tell a lot about the mood. You can get creative with the fighting to an extent. Either way, whats to say that itll capture the real feeling of Wolverine. Instead of Superman with claws?

True but Rating can tell a lot about the mood. You can get creative with the fighting to an extent. Either way, whats to say that itll capture the real feeling of Wolverine. Instead of Superman with claws?

Exactly, but you could get Superman with claws in an R-rated film. I don't think rating effects the mood or tone all that much.

Lord of the Rings, The Dark Knight, and Unbreakable are all examples of Pg-13 films that utilized mood and tone extremely well. All of those films had a more mature feeling then Origins, but they had the same rating.

Especially today. Pg-13 is much more lenient then it was ten to fifteen years ago. You have Pg-13 movies like The Grudge and The Unborn, both movies that I would have bet would have gotten R ratings fifteen years ago, and movies like LOTR and The Dark Knight that push what you can do in terms of violence (LOTR) and tone (TDK).

As to whether, PG-13 movies are more lenient these days, that's a whole different can of worms.

The Rating (and they do aim for these purposefully) can tell a lot about what they are TRYING to go for. For example if Aronofsky said "We want this one to be Rated R," we can get it feel that it may have brutal violence.

Just because its rated R doesnt mean it will be good. But you can tell some of what they are going for. It wouldn't be rated R if Wolverine just hugged all the bad guys and told them they can't do their bad things here any more.

Judging by the new screenshots, I think this will be a better film than Origins. And I have faith with the director. He seems to know what he's doing and he seems so inspired. And I have a feeling this will be the most unique X-Men film to date!

Not everyone agrees that they really messed up with orgins. Some, like me, feel that it wasn't perfect and could have needed some different things happening...but was still a fun interesting movie.

Origins was not the only X movie that got the comic continuity wrong...so laying all blame on it about that is unfair.

So my answer to the threads title is.....maybe it will be better....let's hear more about it before we start grumbling.

I'm... I'm not alone???

:hrt::hrt::hrt:

The massive missed opportunity from Origins is they never showed Wolverine actually assassinating people like the droned out killer he was. Hes supposed to be better than than Sabretooth and Wade. They portrayed him like a sensitive 2nd Tier merchinary. If hes so great why was just hanging out being lazy while everyone else did the heavy lifting. They didn't even give him a cool weaponX suit.
Entertaining, Yes, 'Wolverine Begins', it was not.
But we'll get a real one in 10 years.

Will this be better? Well, let's just say it would be easier to manage that than for it to be worse. THAT would be some feat, indeed.

I think it will be better than Origins, yes. Here's how I'd rate the series so far:

X-Men -- 7/10
X-Men 2 -- 9/10
X-Men: The Last Stand -- 6/10
X-Men Origins: Wolverine -- 6.5/10
X-Men: First Class -- 8.5/10

Origins was awful and it is one of the worst superhero movies ever made. It is a giant ball of garbage with so many dumb decisions put into one film that it perplexes me that it could happen...but it did. This trailer makes it look like they did not learn their lesson at all. The train scene looks over the top and silly with some awful CGI just like in Origins. There was really no character moments and it feels again, too big for its britches with tons of splosions and over the top hollow crap. I was so excited with Aranofsky because you knew it was going to be a gritty character film and this just looks like more gigantic dumbness. I have zero hopes for this movie at all. If it gets okay-good reviews I will give it a shot in theaters. If it gets bad reviews then I am done with Fox and Jackman as Wolverine for good.

To me the thing that worried me about this upcoming film when I saw the trailers, is it looks like it has the same film color-effect with Origins, I didn't have a good feeling about. But I'm hoping this is going to be way better than Origins.

Yes, as I said on another thread...with the possible lone exception of XMFC at times, it looks like all the X-films have the same DP. Gets old after a while.

Makes me imagine what Aronofsky could've brought, visually, since he is such a great aestheist.

To me the thing that worried me about this upcoming film when I saw the trailers, is it looks like it has the same film color-effect with Origins, I didn't have a good feeling about. But I'm hoping this is going to be way better than Origins.

I think there's way more to be worried about than the colour effect.

But the resemblance to Origins, in more ways than the colour effect, is troubling.

This trailer is very late, and there's been no news for a long time since filming wrapped. Could it be that the studio is forcing the film in a certain direction (fun action flick) which has meant a lot of rejigging the product around? It looks nothing like the way Mangold was describing it. Didn't he say 'film noir'?! lol

It just doesn't look original. The shaggy forlorn Jackman with his wild hair and beard reminds me of Les Miserables and, in superhero terms, of the start of Batman Begins and also the start of Dark Knight Rises, where Bruce is mourning a loss and has forsaken his superhero identity.

The train scene reminds me of Mission Impossible, the opening of Skyfall, etc, etc.

Smoking a cigar in the middle of chaos and carnage reminds me of the Danger Room in X3.

Leaping forwards with outstretched claws on the train looks like when he leapt at the helicopter in Origins.

And you immediately ask at the beginning that if that old guy works for a company who can do anything, then why can't they save him? I get the feeling he takes Wolverine's healing powers and regenerates himself - and maybe he even becomes Silver Samural.

His visuals probably would've been more unique but if his track record is anything to go by the film would've put me to sleep within 20 minutes.

Well I definitely didn't expect the film/trailer to look like this one. Because in terms of visual-style, it doesn't look unique and I thought it would look really artsy, really edgy and superhero-meets-samurai kind of film. But even though the trailer has some resemblance to Origins (the train scene also reminded me of Origin's helicopter scene), it doesn't mean the quality of this film will be similar to Origins.

I'm more concerned about the writing. This X-franchise already has more continuity leaks than can easily be counted. It's like trying to eat off a plate after it fell on the floor, shattered and now you've super-glued the pieces you can find back together.

I'm more concerned about the writing. This X-franchise already has more continuity leaks than can easily be counted. It's like trying to eat off a plate after it fell on the floor, shattered and now you've super-glued the pieces you can find back together.

Judging on the filmography of the screenwriters, some of them had hit and miss in the last couple of years. So I'm not confident yet about the writing of this movie. Christoper McQuarrie/Mark Bomback were the writers of Bryan Singer's latest film, Jack the Giant Slayer and critics' main criticism about that movie is the writing. But Christopher McQuarrie's last good film is Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol and Mark Momback's last good film is Unstoppable.

But the resemblance to Origins, in more ways than the colour effect, is troubling.

This trailer is very late, and there's been no news for a long time since filming wrapped. Could it be that the studio is forcing the film in a certain direction (fun action flick) which has meant a lot of rejigging the product around? It looks nothing like the way Mangold was describing it. Didn't he say 'film noir'?! lol

It just doesn't look original. The shaggy forlorn Jackman with his wild hair and beard reminds me of Les Miserables and, in superhero terms, of the start of Batman Begins and also the start of Dark Knight Rises, where Bruce is mourning a loss and has forsaken his superhero identity.

The train scene reminds me of Mission Impossible, the opening of Skyfall, etc, etc.

Smoking a cigar in the middle of chaos and carnage reminds me of the Danger Room in X3.

Leaping forwards with outstretched claws on the train looks like when he leapt at the helicopter in Origins.

And you immediately ask at the beginning that if that old guy works for a company who can do anything, then why can't they save him? I get the feeling he takes Wolverine's healing powers and regenerates himself - and maybe he even becomes Silver Samural.

These are all very good points. Right now, I'm seeing this being a generic action film at best. I'm also getting a lot of X-Men Origins vibes from this.

You raise excellent points.
I'm not going to make a judgement call based solely on one trailer, but seriously, if they screw the pooch again, then **** Fox. You think they would've learned after First Class to just leave the talented film makers alone and let them do what they do.
And yes, the X-men Origin vibes are very much present which is even more troubling.

Well I definitely didn't expect the film/trailer to look like this one. Because in terms of visual-style, it doesn't look unique and I thought it would look really artsy, really edgy and superhero-meets-samurai kind of film. But even though the trailer has some resemblance to Origins (the train scene also reminded me of Origin's helicopter scene), it doesn't mean the quality of this film will be similar to Origins.

That's how the X-Men movies look, they like to stick to the same visual aesthetics for all the movies.

Last edited:
That's how the X-Men movies, they like to stick to the same visual aesthetics for all the movies.
Vaughn's was different, no doubt aided by the period setting. It was also a lot more bright and comic booky, which worked to the films advantage.

That's how the X-Men movies, they like to stick to the same visual aesthetics for all the movies.

I don't think they are all the same. Its not like the Dark Knight Trilogy that it felt like all the films were different by 1 director and the crew for all of the films didn't change.

With X1/X2, you could see there's a difference with the tone of the movie. X1 was more serious/dark while X2 was more adventurous/thrilling and fun. Then if you compare X3 to the first 2 movies, X3 was more action-oriented and light and filled with over the top emotional scenes. Then with First Class, it was kinda campy and comic-booky compare to the original trilogy. And with Origins, the look of the movie just looked cheap, it definitely didn't look expensive compare to X3, well X3 was filmed nicely.

Considering how much of a p.o.s. I think Origins is then this next movie should be better by almost default. It really would be something if it was worse.

I'm so happy that I'm not such a negative Nancy when it comes to the X-Men films, and that I have FIVE incredible films to watch and enjoy, and a "resemblance" to X-Men Origins: Wolverine doesn't "worry" me in the least bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"