Will Too Much Asgard Hurt This Film??

Shazam

Sidekick
Reaction score
I think Thor's early success was because of his interactions with the people of Midgard......a god amongst men etc......the super villains like Mr. Hyde, The Wrecker, The Grey Gargoyle, The Absorbing Man and others made things pretty interesting for Thor.

The tension between he and and his Father because of his time spent on earth made for good story telling, too.

My fear for this next movie is that it appears to be in Asgard realm or the nine worlds..... Elves and Fairies, Swords and Arrows .....no sci fi super weapons .....

Will this become a Lord of the Rings or Narnia style movie?? Is that what you want from a Thor movie or do you want more dealings on earth?

Considering I found the Earth parts of Thor to generally be a drag, I voted more Asgard/9 realms.

No in theory it will be good if not better having more Asgard scenes. I am hoping that Dr. Selvig gets to Asgard (the trailer makes it seem like it wont happen). I liked his scenes with Thor in the first movie

The Dark Elves in this film carry laser guns and other enemies are shown using similar weaponry and flying in space ships. So it's safe to say there's gonna be a fair share of sci fi super weapons and other sci fi elements.

The first film survived and it's Earth backdrops had broken Dr. Pepper machines and pet shops. This film will do fine.

Last edited:
I don't think it matters really. You HAVE to still show where Thor is from and there's a GREAT deal of Thor mythos that deals OFF Earth but still includes Earth.

Thor's Asgardian background is part of what makes him unique, so his solo films are the perfect opportunity to play up that aspect of his life. In contrast to what the OP says, I always enjoyed Thor's cosmic adventures far more than his earthbound ones. It was a lot more fun for me to read about the Asgardians traveling through space and encountering powerful menaces like The Celestials, Ego, Mangog and Galactus, or fighting villains from the other Realms.

They need to take Thor cosmic to be able to fully explore his powers and background. Marvel has hundreds of other characters who are tied to the Earth. Thor is one of the main links to the vaster universe, so they are wise to present him in that context. On top of that, Malekith, Kurse, Surtur and Thor's otherworldly rogues' gallery are far more interesting than the Wrecking Crew and the deadly-dull Mr. Hyde. Leave the earthly business to lesser heroes, or for Thor's adventures with The Avengers.

I prefer a balance. If Thor spends more time on Asgard, then it makes his (alleged) role as "defender of Midgard" suspect. I mean, why should he give a damn what happens on Earth, unless it's to come and sort out messes his brother or other cosmic ne'er-do-wells leave behind?

I think the first two films strike a good balance. If we ever get a Thor movie that is all Asgard, I think it would severely hurt the franchise. There always needs to be that umbilical that attaches him to our world.

I had to vote "Doesn't Matter," but really, my vote is for "Balanced." Need moar poll options.

I always wondered what sort of conversations go on between the Asgardian palace staff. They could turn it into a whole television drama like Upstairs, Downstairs.

hahaha I can imagine hahaha
walking down one hall you hear all kinds of giggling coming from Fandral's room, Volstagg's room would have a bunch of wild kids, Hogun's room would have the sounds of weapons being sharpened. lol

I want more of the other realms than the first movie gave us, but there should definitely still be a clear connection to Midgard as that's what Thor cares about the most (together with Asgard).

As for what can hurt the film, I can imagine that this could disconnect with some people more if they don't handle Thor's connection with Midgard as well, even if this turns out to have much better action and visuals. I just don't know how that reception will be. Hopefully the second movie continues the strong acting and chemistry that the first had, which was a big part why that worked so well.

I really don't think there should be any problems at all with the Nine realms in the film. I mean the Star Trek franchises all had multiple worlds with very little explanation.

I want more Asgard. Don't be like Green Lantern and spend most of the time on Earth when it should be in the stars.

Last edited:
Save The Avengers for Thor on Earth I say

I want THOR to be a superhero in the modern world, but I think a lot of fans would agree that most of best of his stories are more ASGARD based than not. Much as the better WONDER WOMAN stories are based in the Greek mythology/Amazonian world of her origin. Plus his supporting cast, when handled well are so damned fun and engaging and the vast majority of them are sons and daughters of ASGARD.

I agree, we'll see Thor on Earth enough in The Avengers films so in his solo films let's keep it Asgardian.

My own preference would be for Thor stories to generally revolve around otherworldly affairs, even if those affairs impinge upon Earth. . . but I'd love it if they started including Bond-style intro scenes. So, the main plot may be on Asgard, but the movie opens with Thor showing up while a couple super-criminals attempt to rob the US Treasury in NYC, or such.

I agree, we'll see Thor on Earth enough in The Avengers films so in his solo films let's keep it Asgardian.

Understandable; but without a meaningful link to Midgard in the Thor solo movies, it will get increasingly harder to explain why Thor is even in The Avengers, or why he'd even give a **** about earthly affairs if Loki or some other Asgardian wasn't directly involved in the proceedings.

My own preference would be for Thor stories to generally revolve around otherworldly affairs, even if those affairs impinge upon Earth. . . but I'd love it if they started including Bond-style intro scenes. So, the main plot may be on Asgard, but the movie opens with Thor showing up while a couple super-criminals attempt to rob the US Treasury in NYC, or such.

Definately that would be tops, the film still could be set mostly in Asgard but it would also show Thor's earthly connection.

Last edited:
Wouldn't he be in Svartalfheim half the time?

:up:

The best part of Thor were when he was in the colorful environments of Asgard and Jotunheim. The Earth scenes dragged on.

I actually loved the earth and Asgard scenes from the first Thor. The earth scenes in particular were a refreshing change from heroes flying around in a metropolitan city.

As a huge fan of the MCU's Thor my only concern for this franchise is: What if Jane dies? That is essentially his only connection to earth. If Jane dies, why even come to earth at all? Why not stay in Asgard with his people and shack up with Sif?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"