Will We Ever Get A Latino Led Superhero Film?

Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is one of those "Legacy" characters, which the comic readers will never embrace. In fact they flat out hate on him.
Similar to Robbie Reyes at Marvel, who also get mostly hate, by the previous incarnation fans. And honestly who can blame them, they want to see the version they grew up with.
And honestly being a fan at the receiving end of so much hate from other fans, is painful.

Where are you getting this? Jaime is one of the most successful legacy characters ever, and I would say his popularity and mainstream recognition FAR exceeds that of Ted, and especially Dan. He's up there with John Stewert and Tim Drake. Where are you seeing people hating on him?

I think Jaime is absolutely ready for a solo movie, and is the Latino hero best suited for it from either company. Also, I'd add that Jessica is more likely to be featured in any GLC movie than Kyle, Guy, or Simon. She's more interesting and they've been heavily promoting her. From Marvel, White Tiger is their best bet, but will inevitably get compared to Black Panther.

Mostly CBR forums, when he first came out, similarly with Robie Reyes, also my LCS who would tell me they couldn't move the books, his fans were what he called the BwaHaa League, which I assume refers to very popular Blue & Gold, that is the Blue Beetle (Kord) and Booster Gold generation, and they would not touch anything with Jaime in it, until their version was back.
Apparently DC got the message and relaunched the title with both of them.
Which then also failed.
But like I said the small comic buying public is meaningless, Ultimately it's going to be what WB and who ever is running thier DC movies is going to want to push. (Geoff Johns?)

Also there was movement for a Blue & Gold movie, that is why on Legends of Tomorrow, where they had designed, the character to be Ted Kord Blue Beetle, they suddenly changed it to be the Atom, so there wouldn't be a Licensing conflict, with the potential film.
So yeah DC/WB may still view Kord as the movie Beetle.
Edit: Just did a search - http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/booster-gold/249174/booster-gold-movie-still-in-development

And I love how you ignore this:
As far as Blue Beetle, for DC he is definitely the one ... with the most public recognition and potential, I never argued he wasn't, ....I definitely think BB is the one if any will get the push
and this:
At DCEU it might be Jessica Cruz ,
So I'll say it again, Blue Beetle (Jaime), for DC he is definitely the one with the most public recognition and potential, I never argued he wasn't.
The other is Jessica Cruz.
I said it twice now, are you still going to argue I don't think they have best chance? I'm saying they do.
That doesn't give me allot of hope though, he'll likely be a secondary character at best. And she'll be the third GL at best a sidekick, not a Lead.
And DC don't have anyone else on that list, that's going to be a lead.
That is the point.
Sorry for not being Mr. Optimistic.

Meanwhile we have at DC El Diablo! and at Marvel Ant-Man's Luis & his Van! Luckily they are not horrible cliches.:funny:

Last edited:
If WB viewed Ted as the movie (DCEU) Blue Beetle, then why was he suspiciously absent from the movie intro? Booster Gold was there, albeit hidden, and Jaime was there as well, and quite visible might I add. There's also been several Hispanic actors lobbying to play Blue Beetle in live action, so I'm sure WB knows that Jaime is the one the majority of fans want to see... Not Ted or Dan.

Edit: Geoff and Didio see Blue Beetle as DC's Spider-Man btw, so Jaime has TPTB and general audiences (thanks to YJ & IJ2) on his side.

Latino superhero film?

tenor.gif

Not sure Zorro would count.

BUT that said, most of the latino superheroes i know of in comics, are part of an Ensamble of other characters.. Vibe - team flash. Sunspot - Xforce.

Now i know of only a few personally (via just reading marvel/dc comics or via shows), such as (besides the two i mentioned above).
From DC
Blue beetle
El diablo (Suicide squad)
From marvel
El condor (cap america issue 442)
Firebird (The Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #265)
Ghost rider (Robbi reyes, agents of shield show)
Yo-yo (agents of shield show)
Richtor (Julio Esteban "Ric" Richter, X-Factor Vol. 1 #17 (June 1987))
Tarantula (Web of Spider-Man #35 (February 1988), Louis Alverez)

Now, most of those from the comics, are either new (2010 on) or old but linked with lots of others..

So maybe part of the issue the peeps at marvel have, is figuring out who to go with.

So maybe part of the issue the peeps at marvel have, is figuring out who to go with.
For Marvel, probably the one which have been given recurring solo books long term.
And by long term that means since the 70s......? 80s.......? 90s.........? LOL!
And has been most prominently featured and recognized as a regular on Avengers.
Hmmm, ........? None.
On your list none?
On X-Men .....? Again none. So we get Sunspot killed in the intro.
They have nothing!
And for DC on Justice League? ......None? Maybe of late Jessica (or as most would say who?)
She'll at best be a secondary on GL Corps, not a lead.
Those are their most prominent.

So second tier, maybe as secondaries in ensemble at best, New Mutants *Sunspot(will he suffer the same first to die fate), and for DC on Titans Blue Beetle has the best bet.
As leads? It is not looking good.

If Booster or Blue & Gold is pushed through, it's even worse for Jaime.
It's the curse of being a Latino Legacy character, instead of an original creation.
Similarly Robbie Reyes, might have some prominence on TV which is great, I freakin love him, when it comes to the Movies, and carrying a lead, he'll be dropped, for you know who. And the Ghost Rider fans will cheer!.

Vibe? Probably may favorite character on the CWverse, you have to be delusional if you think he's transitioning to lead a solo film. With all his prominence on the TV he doesn't even have his own comic. He's a minor sidekick character at best, never even the lead hero on an episode, let alone a movie.

El condor (cap america issue 442
Wasn't he killed that same issue?
DC actually has a more prominent Black Condor (John Trujillo) freakin cool character. And by prominent I mean hardly any have heard of him. Unless Freedom Fighters are suddenly getting a live action movie, mostly nobody will hear of him. (fyi all should check out Freedom Fighters: The Ray)
And he's definitely not getting a solo lead film.
Also he falls under that uncomfortable for some Americans category of: If he's Native American, how can he be Latino? Which Americans can't process how he can be both, so they have to draw a line between the two, otherwise they'd have to uncomfortably acknowledge, the Latinos (who they call foreigners) are often also Native American. And have been here before them. So yeah, he likley won't get acknowledged. ?
latest

Firebird (The Incredible Hulk vol. 2 #265)
Love FireBird (Bonita Juarez) and her whole team the Rangers! But that's just it she's not and never has been a regular on Avengers, X-Men, shes' on the Rangers. You don't get more obscure, she and the Rangers are not getting a movie. Even by more open to obscurity Marvel movie standards, They've never even had a comic.

Trotting out these obscure characters and implying there are to many to pic from? So that is why there have been none in a solo movie, or on Avengers or Justice League is BS.

*Who should be an Afro-Brazilian do we get to talk about how he's been latino-white(ish)-washed in two films now? Or is that to sensitive?

Last edited:
It's weird. I prefer Jaime as a character, but for the Blue and Gold dynamic, I prefer Ted. He just plays off of Booster better.

I think if Booster and Jaime were closer in age, their dynamic would feel more natural.

For Marvel, probably the one which have been given recurring solo books long term.
And by long term that means since the 70s......? 80s.......? 90s.........? LOL!

To ME, the 70-80s were the golden years...

Similarly Robbie Reyes, might have some prominence on TV which is great, I freakin love him, when it comes to the Movies, and carrying a lead, he'll be dropped, for you know who. And the Ghost Rider fans will cheer!.

I won't cheer, i like the Reyes version.

Vibe? Probably may favorite character on the CWverse, you have to be delusional if you think he's transitioning to lead a solo film. With all his prominence on the TV he doesn't even have his own comic. He's a minor sidekick character at best, never even the lead hero on an episode, let alone a movie.

I do find it strange they have not pushed him as the lead for a single episode yet, when frost's had what, 3, 4, Dibney has had 1 or 2. Iris has had a few.. So when they gonna get to vibe getting his own ep?!

Trotting out these obscure characters and implying there are to many to pic from? So that is why there have been none in a solo movie, or on Avengers or Justice League is BS.

I wasn't claiming that cause there's so many its hard to pick, i was trying to do like you did, show that while YES there's been a lot, they are often obscure so won't have much mainstream appeal..

I would love to see an America Chavez movie. A white tiger series would be amazing too

LOL loved Nacho Libre, Casa, Anchorman, etc.. these guys love playing parodies of Latinos, not sure what cultures would tolerate as much today.

-
Barring all those, the MCU has given us Luis and his Van in Ant-Man, and now Mr Delmar and his Deli in Spider-Man. Celebrate! :oldrazz:

Although Peter does mention Mr. Delmar's daughter, Pete's Spanish classes payed off here.

Is it set up for Anya Corazon? No.
Ava Ayala? No
America Chavez? No.
Could have been, but no, not likely we are getting any of them.

Marvel U not a single Latino hero! At least we got Luis' Van and Mr. Delmar's best sandwich in Queens.

[YT]jgzvl7I-AxM[/YT]

FYI no dis on this movie, loved it.

Last edited:
Say what you want about the DCEU but they're about to give us another Latino superhero on the big screen in Pedro Peña, next year when Shazam releases. Gives me hope that i'll see Jaime Reyes and Jessica Cruz eventually.

Marvel doesn't really have a strong roster of Latino superheroes, and Miles (the one with the highest profile) isn't even seen as Latino by those that know about him.

Looks like Blue Beetle just pulled ahead of the pack. He's the only one with a film confirmed to be in active development! Will DC beat Marvel to the punch again? Or will Disney announce something with Nova or Miles? Hmmm

Not her own movie, but now part of the MCU
So it only took Marvel what 4, 5? No ...25 films, and how many characters before introducing one Latino superhero to their Movie Universe, is she the first?:funny:
And she's likley a one off random multiverse cameo.
268437941_5092945444071689_6745193443548802115_n.jpg

Last edited:
Not her own movie, but now part of the MCU
So it only took Marvel what 4, 5? No ...25 films, and how many characters before introducing one Latino superhero to their Movie Universe, is she the first?:funny:
And she's likley a one off random multiverse cameo.
268437941_5092945444071689_6745193443548802115_n.jpg

The air force guy in FatWS is supposed to become the new Falcon (Sam already gave him the wings). Plus multiple characters on AoS if you still count that. And also Salma Hayek in The Eternals.

Last edited:
Unless Marvel fast-tracks an American Chavez spinoff film for 2023, Blue Beetle will actually be the first Latino led superhero film.

So glad WB is making this a theatrical release.

Isn't Leslie Grace Latina? But I guess we don't know what race she's playing.

Isn't Leslie Grace Latina? But I guess we don't know what race she's playing.

She is but Batgirl isn’t a Latino character nor a theatrical release!

I’m happy Blue Beetle will be the first! Jaime deserves it

I wish WB would make Batgirl a theatrical release, it’s a safer bet than Blue Beetle.
I’d rather get Blue Beetle. Batgirl isn’t a Latino character and I don’t want a raceswap to be the first

Last edited:
I can't wait to see Xolo as Blue Beetle

I’d rather get Blue Beetle. Batgirl isn’t a Latino character and I don’t want a raceswap to be the first

I get that.

Batgirl, race swapped or not, is a film I want to see in theaters. I get that Warners needs to feed the HBO Max machine (and boost subscription numbers), but I feel they're missing out on $$$ from box office coffers.

I'm ecstatic Blue Beetle is upgraded to an exclusive theatrical release. But WB needs to choose more carefully which DC properties go to streaming and what can be the next Aquaman, Shazam! or WW.

Picking Xolo as Blue Beetle is a great casting choice. I've read a handful of Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle comics and had fun with them, no means my favorite, but I'm excited to see what they do with the film! Hopefully they make a memorable film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"