Windows Live Messenger - BIZARRE! Problem

batman11

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently I had a really, REALLY strange thing happened to me with Windows Live Messenger 8.5. I've been spending hours upon end and have still not come up with anything. It's to the point where it's really freaking me out. LOL

Anyways, here's the story:

I've been using Windows Live Messenger for probably about 3 months now with no errors whatsoever. A few days ago, I signed out and went to bed. I woke up the next day, double-clicked to open up Windows Live Messenger and nothing happened. I checked the computer's processes, and it said that the messenger process was running, but I could not use my Messenger. So naturally, I decided to uninstall it and re-install it. After re-installing the messenger, I tried to open it up and yet again, the process started but nothing happened. At this point I figured something must have gone wrong in the registry. So I uninstalled it again, and then opened up Registry Crawler. From there, I deleted any entry that was related to Windows Live Messenger. I repeated this multiple times, as well as the fact that I used CCleaner to fix any registry issues afterwards. I then restarted the computer, and proceeded to install Windows Live Messenger again. Here's the weird part. Every time I booted up the installer, it told me that I already had it installed and I was good to go. Wait...what? I did a registry search and not one key was connected to Windows Live Messenger, yet the installer told me I was ready to start chatting. So I restarted again, and then ran a Disk Cleanup and defragmented my hard drive. I then restarted again once the processes were finished, and tried to install again. Same problem. For some reason the computer is telling the installer everything is installed and working. I even tried to install an older version of Windows Live Messenger, however it too said that I already have a version installed, and that if I wish to continue I should go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it...but it isn't there...cause it isn't on my computer.

WTF?

I truly do not understand what the hell is going on here. How is it possible that the installers think that I have Windows Live Messenger 8.5 when there is no trace of it at all on the computer?

If anyone has ever heard of anything like this, has had this happen to them before (whether it was with messenger or another program) or flat out knows what to do...please help me out here.

Thanks a million in advance guys,

batman11

something like this happened to me too when I reformatted. It wouldn't install my older Windows Live Messenger and it kept tell me to download the newer 8.5. But it couldn't install the newer version. After messing with it for awhile I downloaded Windows Installer 3 and it automatically installed the new Messenger.

Hmmm...weird eh?

As of the moment, I do have Windows Installer 3.1 but it hasn't helped.

I was thinking of possibly downloading the 9.0 beta to see if that works.

get 9.0 beta. After that's installed, go to add/remove programs and remove Messenger 9 Beta. Then Install 8.5 again.

get 9.0 beta. After that's installed, go to add/remove programs and remove Messenger 9 Beta. Then Install 8.5 again.

I tried that. When I tried to install the beta, it told me to uninstall the older version first...which I can't do cause it doesn't exist. :cmad:

This is really frustrating.

:lmao:

Sorry man but that's funny... ok try this: C:\Program Files\Windows Live\installer open WLSetupSvc and uninstall Messenger, if that doesn't work then delete the Mesenger folder.

Or just stick with the old MSN layout for Messenger. Stupid Windows Live Messenger :down

I think it could be a virus that attacks Windows Live Messenger. If the problem keeps on occurring like you mentioned then it definitely is a virus. Also don't use and I repeat don't use Windows Uninstaller to uninstall your programs. Use another Uninstall program like Your Uninstaller PRO because windows uninstaller always leaves traces of the program in the registry and in the system folders. So instead of manually deleting these files use Your Uninstaller PRO or another uninstaller program. Do that and check me back in the morning for any more solutions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"