Winslet, Damon, Cotillard & Law in Soderbergh's 'Contagion'

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt Damon and Jude Law are set to star in Steven Soderbergh's action-thriller "Contagion" while thesps Marion Cotillard and Kate Winslet are also in talks for the pic.Soderbergh's been developing the project -- not yet set up at a studio -- with producing partner Gregory Jacobs. The plan is to shoot the pic later this year...

"Contagion," based on a script penned by Scott Z. Burns, is described as centering on a deadly disease with multiple plotlines in the same style as Soderbergh's "Traffic."
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118014882.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Can't say I was particularly hoping for yet another "end of the world virus" story, but Winslet wouldn't be interested if it was something generic, would she? Then again, she did do The Holiday...

Oh well, the cast and Soderbergh have me interested.

Last edited:
Quality cast and I like that Soderbergh is branching out, I just hope they can find away to make the deadly virus story feel gripping as it's been done a lot.

ITA about seeing Soderbergh branch out as he seems to be doing lately (with Knockout as well). It's refreshing.

Found some more info on the script and how it came about:

from what we've heard, Burns' script is a multi-strand film not unlike the Academy award-winning "Traffic" that Soderbergh helmed in 2000. Our sources tell us the story takes place over four continents and is "terrifying."
Burns revealed that while making "The Informant!," he and the director began discussing a scene in which Scott Bakula's agent character sneezes, causing Whiteacre (Matt Damon) to go on a rant about who will pay for his getting sick, etc. Burns says he and Soderbergh began dissecting the topic of germs and how the nature of a virus could be used to deal with "issues of sovereignty" and as a metaphor for the way "information and misinformation travel" in contemporary society. Burns and Soderbergh developed the idea for a "virus movie" that Burns describes in "pitch meeting speak" as 'Traffic' meets 'Outbreak,' " although he's quick to point out that his script is only superficially similar to the latter.
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/02/soderbergh-flips-liberace-for-contagion.html
http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2009/09/scott-z-burns-writing-traffic-meets.html

Soderbergh apparently bumped his Liberace project immediately after reading this script. I'm starting to get a little more intrigued.

Last edited:
Quality cast and I like that Soderbergh is branching out, I just hope they can find away to make the deadly virus story feel gripping as it's been done a lot.

Or at the least try something different with that kind of plot.

Winslet and Cotillard in the same movie! :yay: Damon and Law are pretty great too.

Damn .....props to Cottilard agent and Cottilard herself for appearing in more hollywood movies. It's quite rare when foreign actors succeed in hollywood. I guess the thing that helps Cottilaird ( aside from her acting talent) is that she doesn't have a very thick french accent when she's talking english as opposed to Penelope Cruz who's does have an accent.

Its very rare for anybody to have sucha career even after winning an oscar. I just hope she wont just play supporting girlfriend roles.

Damn .....props to Cottilard agent and Cottilard herself for appearing in more hollywood movies. It's quite rare when foreign actors succeed in hollywood. I guess the thing that helps Cottilaird ( aside from her acting talent) is that she doesn't have a very thick french accent when she's talking english as opposed to Penelope Cruz who's does have an accent.
Its very rare for anybody to have sucha career even after winning an oscar. I just hope she wont just play supporting girlfriend roles.
I agree with both of you. She seems to have unusually good taste in projects and her US agent must be very good as well. And I think it's worth noting here that the story is Traffic-esque and supposedly takes place over four continents, so there's a good chance she's not the "supporting girlfriend" here. She might be the lead in her own storyline set in France or something.

Cotillard is terrific and I'm glad she's getting more opportunity in Hollywood. But it will be hard for her to get a role as juicy as the one she got in "La Vie En Rose".

will Winslet have a nude scene?

This sounds interesting. Hopefully it's nothing like Outbreak.

This sounds interesting. Hopefully it's nothing like Outbreak.
They seemed to anticipate that concern:
Burns describes in "pitch meeting speak" as 'Traffic' meets 'Outbreak,' although he's quick to point out that his script is only superficially similar to the latter.
So I don't think we have to worry about that, at least.

The Playlist got a hold of the screenplay for this, and they've got a very in-depth review/description at their site. Here are some of the less-spoilery tidbits:

Well, if you took the breadth and scope of "Traffic" or "Syriana," tidied up the writing, and found a subject matter that terrified you relentlessly for two hours, you'd have something close to "Contagion." Burns, who wrote the script for the previous Soderbergh/Damon collaboration "The Informant," as well as "The Bourne Ultimatum," has clearly done an enormous amount of research, and it's thoroughly, horrifyingly conceivable throughout, but it's also as much about the way that information can spread virally in the Web 2.0 age, as it is about the spread of the virus. Burns ties these dual themes together in the final pages, the two dovetailing in a hugely satisfying way.
Fascinatingly and again, plausibly frightening, political and corporate interest continually get in the way of the doctors' attempts to stop the disease, from the lawyer representing a mysterious magnate who offers Emhoff millions of dollars for a sample of his blood, to paranoid fears of terrorism from Homeland Security. But regular bureaucracy big and small causes natural obstacles as well from world leaders foolishly worrying about virus patents and the sharing of key information while thousands die, to the FedEx guy who innocently closes up shop early, failing to rush out the urgent CDC package that we later discover could have potentially saved hundreds of lives.

It's slightly less overtly Political, with an upper-case P, than, say "Traffic," in that there's no specific message being pushed, but it does land its blows nicely when it throws them — particularly at pharmaceutical companies, and the patenting of drugs and vaccines. Like "Syriana," however, there's a laudable global, geo-political context ingrained in the fissure of the story, showing the ways in which a tiny action can have enormous repercussions across the world. While expansive, and global "Contagion," doesn't forget the personal either and the script touches upon very humanistic situations all tied to the complex, interweaving story including infidelity, grief, and the terror of losing one's family that any one on the planet should be able to easily relate to.

The disease isn't some sci-fi super-plague; it only causes death in a certain percentage of those who come in contact with it, but it is enough to cause widespread mass panic and hysteria once word gets out. As we said above, the script's as much about the way that information and rumor can travel from person to person, and even the most well-meaning characters make bad decisions, even if it's only to protect their loved ones.

It's certainly a thriller in tone, and an extremely tense one at that, but anyone expecting "Outbreak"-style action sequences should look elsewhere; it's really more of a mystery, almost a detective story, as the various characters desperately search for the "index patient," and a vaccine for the virus. That said, some who've read the script, perhaps misled by loglines or the presence of 'Bourne' writer Scott Z. Burns, have lamented this lack of quote unquote "action," but this is missing the point — the propulsive momentum of the script provides equally intense white knuckle thrills of the purest kind, without resorting to car chases or men beating each other up with rolled up magazines.

The film is a race against time, the stakes are incredibly high throughout the film, and Burns' script never lets up — you're never allowed the opportunity to stop and catch your breath, which gives it a tight focus lacking in Stephen Gaghan's writing on "Traffic" and "Syriana." This isn't to say that there's a lack of texture or emotion to the film (the latter in particular is something that people often complain about in regards to Soderbergh's work); while its certainly procedural in tone, there are plenty of sequences of humanity sprinkled through the script that tethers the tale in the hear and now.
...our only other concern is that the script is so up-to-the-minute (our draft is dated 1/14/09), with references to the overhyping of H1N1, and to Twitter, that by the time it reaches theaters, by next summer at the very earliest (and we imagine it'll be held back for awards season), it could feel like old news. Soderbergh & company had better get a move on, because we think that, if it holds up to its promise, it could be a major awards contender (especially for Burns' sprawling tapestry of a a screenplay), combining the artistic and commercial sides of Soderbergh's career in the same manner that landed him the Best Director Oscar back in 2001. Certainly, based on his work here, Burns more than deserves to be among the nominees when the time rolls around.
There are much more detailed and spoilery descriptions, including who's playing each character and their general storylines, at the site:

http://theplaylist.blogspot.com/2010/03/details-on-steven-soderberghs-contagion.html

Also, Laurence Fishburne came on as a major character since last I posted here, haha.

contagionposter.jpg

Sweet.

A trailer for this have to come out soon, I'm dying to see footage from this.

Wow, this film has a star-studded cast. Anyway, I remember they were showing some footage from this film earlier this year, so it's very likely a trailer will come soon.

Yeah, I'll be on the look out for the trailer. That picture with Law got me interested. And I like Soderbergh.

Is that Damon in the poster? He looks like Hilary Swank. :dry:

Anyway, I'm excited for this. Such a good cast! I totally forgot that Gwyneth has an Oscar.

Moved up to September.
Yay, so the trailer should be out any time now. I wonder what it'll be attached to. It's WB, so maybe Potter? Not really going after the same demo, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"