Winter Soldier: Bionic arm or not?

Discussion in 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' started by kaijunexus, Jul 15, 2012.

1. JB-the-Hunter

JB-the-Hunter Booty hunter

It's just concept art people.

2. MLSkinner

MLSkinner Well-Known Member

I think he wears it in the beginning and once he takes it off, the part around his eyes stays which is what it's like in the comics.

3. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

Because a domino mask looks silly on screen and doesn't hide anything. The Balaclava is consistent with Winter Soldier being a russian secret operative and actually hides his identity.

4. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

A Russian black ops would also wear a toboggan or helmet of some kind; not let their long shiny mane fly wild and free like frickin' Spetsnaz Fabio. Sorry, but the concept art in its present form looks totally, well, non-heterosexual, and the colors are far too reminiscent of the godawful New Goblin.

Hopefully, they'll give his balaclava and goggles a non-greenish color, and do something to wrap that hair up when he's on a mission.

5. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

I actually really like the design and IDGAF about a likeness to the new goblin.

Am i taking crazy pills?..lol

6. ThePowerCosmic

Yes, yes you are.

7. InternetPeople

InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

WS shouldn't use the balaclava because Goblin did and no movie should ever go to another planet because John Carter did it. Once something has been done once, badly, no other movie should ever get to do it again because audiences have long memories and will remember obscure details about ****** characters from bad movies.

8. Mr. Dent

Mr. Dent Well-Known Member

I don't see the green in it. It looks all black to me.

As for the hair...well it has to maintain some comic book-yness to it lol. I think putting a helmet on his head would be crossing a line...this Balaclava isn't.

Nope.

9. T"Challa

T"Challa Well-Known Member

Why is the mask a bad idea? If the sole reason is because it reminds you of Franco, that just wont cut it. I think it looks good and it makes complete sense considering WS's identity will be kept secret for a while.

I would hate for them to use just a domino mask and go the Green Lantern or Superman route where the supporting characters pretend to be blind or are just too ****ing stupid to recognize the heroes. Cap and Bucky have been friends forever. Some long hair and a domino mask isn't going to fool him. Majority of Bucky's face needs to be covered, and if you have a better idea as to go about doing that, i'm all ears.

10. ThePowerCosmic

It does make sense for the story, I'm not disputing that fact. It just reminds me of New Goblin. It's not this movie's fault, it's SM3's fault for putting that s**t on him in the first place, when it didn't fit.

11. BullMcGiveny

BullMcGiveny Probably Disagree

I'd be all for a full mask. That it leaves his forhead and hair exposed id distractingly odd.

12. cherokeesam

cherokeesam SHIELD Director Coulson

Nobody's suggesting WS shouldn't wear a balaclava. What some of us are suggesting is that he shouldn't wear a balaclava that looks exactly like New Goblin.

There are *lots* of ways to wear a balaclava. Most of them make you look like an actual soldier, mercenary, black ops, bank robber, or hired assassin. Wearing it *that* way would make Bucky look like, you know, one or more of the above. Wearing it like New Goblin makes you look like, you know, a bad idea from a bad idea for a Spider-Man sequel.

13. Ultra Nolanite

Ultra Nolanite Well-Known Member

I don't think it looks exactly like new goblin. WS mask is made of fabric and has separate goggles, while new goblins mask is more of a paintball/Army of Two type plastic mask.

Also new Goblin's facemask is not the thing that hurt Spiderman 3.

And why would you want Bucky to look like an actual soldier/assassin. It's still a comic book movie. I would think we would be glad that they kept some elements from the comics but now I see that we just cannot be pleased.

A dominomask being cheesy and not hiding the face enough. A full mask being not Winter Soldier-y enough. I think this is a nice middleground, Spiderman 3 be damned. I'm sure if I ask my girlfriend what she thought of new goblins mask in Spiderman 3 she'll say: "Who ?" That's how much normal people remember of that movie and New Goblin.

In other words, New Goblin and Spiderman 3 have not made such a mask his signature thing. New Goblin didn't OWN the wearing of such a mask like Bucky potentially could.

Or like...

[​IMG]

...does.

Why you think he did I will probably never know.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  14. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

I see the similarity between the two, obviously
    But they are not at all exactly the same like you're saying
    There's no green at all in WS's mask, and it also has more of a kevlar look to it as opposed to the plastic/carbon fiber nonsense on Franco
    and like others have said, I blame SM3 for putting Harry in something completely out of character, i don't blame CA2 for going with something that makes some sense for Bucky

and ya may also wanna watch that "non-hetero" comment, probably the quickest route to an infraction 'round here

15. spideymouse

spideymouse Well-Known Member

I like how this thread immediately became a Winter Soldier costume thread once the bionic arm was confirmed.

16. ThePowerCosmic

lol! I forgot he had another thread that wasn't dedicated to the bionic arm. Oh well. :yay:

17. 3dman27

3dman27 super-hero wannabe

i'mlooking forward to thi flick bionic arm or not

18. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

Huh. Interesting. I'll play...

i'mthinking batroc teh leper wll hav astounding quadricep or not

19. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Y'know, I've always wondered this ever since the Six Million Dollar man - how would a bionic arm give a person the ability to, say, stop a moving car or punch through a steel door when it's basically still just attached to regular ol' human tissue. At best, wouldn't the arm just kind of rip from the tissue and go flying?

20. metaphysician

metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Well, for realistic(?) cybernetics, the solution is to not just have a cybernetic arm. Rather, you reinforce or replace much of the skeleton, too.

As for the movie, bear in mind that Bucky was almost certainly subject to some kind of quasi-supersoldier serum experiment. Wouldn't be shocking if he's physically enhanced even beyond the cyborg arm. . . and I would totally buy that bones and muscles even half as strong as movie Cap's would be fine with any reasonable cyborg arm strength.

21. KDM1986

KDM1986 Midnight Sons Founder

Bionic arm for the win! Seriously though he needs to have the bionic arm and the mask. It's a comic book movie where we have already established gods, aliens, super soldiers, and advanced technology. I think the audience can handle a bionic arm and a mask.

22. jaqua99

jaqua99 ....I need a horse!

general audiences aren't going to be like, he's wearing the same mask from spiderman, this is gunna suck.

It's probably not going to even make a damn difference. People will see it because it's part of the MCU. that's all. I can't believe people are making a big deal out of this.

I think it looks ****ing great

23. InternetPeople

InternetPeople Petty... and tiny

I don't think you picked up on the sarcasm there. I forgive you.

24. fixxxer

fixxxer ...goes to 11

^ Haha. I think facetiousness and sarcasm have to be explicitly tagged on message boards... no matter how unsubtely they are expressed. :)

But overall, I really like the Winter Soldier's look from the concept art. The balaclava makes so much more sense than the domino mask. Especially since it would make narrative sense for Cap not to know the Winter Soldier's identity till the final act of the movie.

I was completely oblivious to the NuGoblin connection until the reaction on these boards. And I actually watched (the uber disappointing) Spiderman 3 twice. I highly doubt the GA is going to notice... or care in the slightest.

25. Iron Legion_042

Iron Legion_042 The Rogue Jedi

Kinda hoping for the whole bionic arm thing, but it really doesn't matter to me if it's there or not...just as long as they get everything else right.