The Amazing Spider-Man wise cracks; the breaking of drama?

spider-neil

spins a web any size!
Reaction score
opinions

this isn't a 'should spidey wise crack' this is should spidey wise crack during a dramatic scene?
should spidey have wise cracked during the GG cemetery fight?
should spidey have wise cracked during the train fight?

I don't think it should be so black and white, to be fair. Hopefully with the right mind behind the project they should be able to find the right balance, appropriate timing and such. Certainly with the examples you've given it wouldn't seem to fit, but the whole tone of the Raimi films makes it hard to imagine wise cracks at any time, let alone in a time of drama. This fence isn't comfy at all!

There was a GG cemetery fight scene? And I think the answer to this question is simple, look to the comics.

Edit: Oh you mean the last fight scene in Spider-Man 1. That wasn't a cemetery, it was a dilapidated building. Remember when he was thrown through a window. We can see the outside of the building right before the Goblin throws him through the window.

That poll isn't clear. Really ambiguous choices that mean completly different things than the ones you asked about in your post...

I want wisecracks but not non-stop. The way he does it in the comics would, IMO, be a bit much onscreen.

TSSM had it down perfectly. Bring it!!

He should do it only in a certain situations. Like his first couple times fighting the villain he should joke around & whenever he's fighting regular goons. But during the final battle he should be serious.

He should do it only in a certain situations. Like his first couple times fighting the villain he should joke around & whenever he's fighting regular goons. But during the final battle he should be serious.

I can get with that.
When I say nonstop, I mean the endless stream that he sometimes does which, if he actually did that in an action sequence, would probably not be heard.

Iron Man joked around during fight scenes (like "how did u solve the icing problem"?)... but in the final fight i think he didnt, did he?

jokes will destroy drama, it really is as simple as that. spidey can and should quip during the early part of the movie but when things get serious so should he.

if you want jokes then in the montage when he is fighting small bad guys.

but never in the final battle or when saving hes girlfriend

lizard - 'ssssppider-man, watch helplesssss as I break you girlfriendssss neck'

spidey - 'hey lizard, you really should get that lisp seen to'

or

spidey - 'hey lizard, anyone tell you you slur your words when you're angry?'

...drama and suspense, GONE!

I think Robert Kirkman summarized perfectly (a word I don't like to throw around too much) what the jokes mean to Spider-Man in Marvel Zombies 2, of all places. Spider-Man explained that the jokes make him feel better about himself and make him comfortable. If the villains knew how nervous he was, he would have never beat them. He got in their heads, as if he was so good, he could crack a joke while fighting them.

With spider-man it's not just the jokes and quips I want to hear. I want to hear the situational self-expressive comments that he makes also, sort of like talking to himself, you know, thinking out loud to some degree.

The best place to draw that from outside of the comics is, the 90s animated series. I love SSM but when it comes to the character of spider-man himself, characteristically, he's never been better portrayed than when Christopher Daniel Barnes was voicing the character.

he's never been better portrayed than when Christopher Daniel Barnes was voicing the character.
You mean like like how he was always shouting "MARRRRRYYYYY JAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNE?" :woot:

The wisecracks are important. Not only because they are cool and not only because by themselves they would be faithful to the comics, but because they show an important part of Peter's personaility - he cracks jokes when he fights the villains because it's his way to vent his nervousness and fear. It would be especially proper in this movie, since they want to go for a high-school kid Spider-Man who would quite possibly be pretty inexperienced in fighting super-baddies.

So, thumbs up for the wisecracks and the quippage, but of course, it should be kept in mind that it must be done right lest to destroy teh drama (like anyone would reeeeealy wonder if he'll manage to save his girlfriend or defeat the villain, but be that as it may)...

most of the time yes Spidey should be cracking jokes. But if the fight gets serious (a goblin fight for example) Spidey should get alittle bit serious. If they follow USM like they're claiming that would be great. Most of the fights in USM hes' being a wise ass. It's only during confrontations with GG, Doc Ock, and Kingpin when Pete gets serious and goes for blood.

Iron Man joked around during fight scenes (like "how did u solve the icing problem"?)... but in the final fight i think he didnt, did he?
''icing '' problem was the final battle :hehe:

Iron Man is actually a good example of how to do it for a "big" battle. Tony joked with Obidiah about the icing problem in the middle of the fight (when he had the upper hand), but near the end when he was struggling to overcome Obidiah, he was completely serious.

he was joking?

i only remember one line and that was a ''default'' blockbuster action line.

Saying "Did you ever figure out that freezing problem?" as the guy starts freezing and then saying "Might wanna look into it" while giving a guy a bonk on the head sure isn't serious.

Iron man's not ducking & dodging & jumping. The suit is basically doing all the fighting. And that was one line.

Like anything else, if the lines are good and delievered well , it will work.If they're bad ala Batman and Robin and delievered badly ala Anakin Skywalker then it will fall flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"