The Amazing Spider-Man wise cracks; the breaking of drama?

I think they should be done sparingly, much like in all the aforementioned animated shows.

jokes will destroy drama, it really is as simple as that. spidey can and should quip during the early part of the movie but when things get serious so should he.

In climatic dramatic scenes, Spidey should not start quipping. But that's the thing about climatic battles, they tend to come about in the climax. When Spidey's fighting random thugs, or his early battles with the Supervillains, it would be fine to add some banter. For example, the first Ock fight scene (at the bank which moves into the city) would have been perfect to incorporate some banter, up until Aunt May gets nabbed of course. Then he would get serious and worried.

However, did you notice that Raimi incorporated humor in that scene himself? Except he had it come from Aunt May, not Spidey.

So for final fights, especially ones where loved ones are being held hostage, no banter. The other ones? It would be fine.

Its not even just the wise cracks, he shows no personality during the fight scenes. He doesn't get mad, he doesn't wise crack, he barely shows emotion. You knew it was a stunt man in the suit.

I love Spider-man making wisecracks in the comics but I do have a strong feeling that too much of it would not transfer well in the film unless the wisecracks were total brilliance of course. The wisecracks just depend on the quality of writing.

Spidey should always have wisecracks while fighting his enemies

I'm not sure I understand the poll…

It may as well simply say:

When the fighting gets intense, should Spidey behave like himself?

if you want jokes then in the montage when he is fighting small bad guys.

but never in the final battle or when saving hes girlfriend

If Spider-Man ends up saving his girlfriend AGAIN in the reboot we have a whole different problem.

I'm not sure I understand the poll…

It may as well simply say:

When the fighting gets intense, should Spidey behave like himself?

Wow. This might be the most amazing post ever. You answer the question and at the same time showed how stupid of a question it was to begin with. I salute you.

During final battles, or intense moments? No. I do not remember in ASM him "quiping" during intense moments.

But yes, there should be, not sure I would say more, as much as I would say better quips. *thinks about Tobey's/Raimi's Peter/Spider-Man... OK.. More also. :cwink:

Wow. This might be the most amazing post ever. You answer the question and at the same time showed how stupid of a question it was to begin with. I salute you.

its not a stupid question at all. in ASM when watches his girlfriend get pushed off a bridge, or when GG discovers peter's secret ID and is dragging him behind the glider by a rope there are no wise cracks, so why wasn't spidey 'being himself'.

its not a stupid question at all. in ASM when watches his girlfriend get pushed off a bridge, or when GG discovers peter's secret ID and is dragging him behind the glider by a rope there are no wise cracks, so why wasn't spidey 'being himself'.
That's why I voted no... I'm not even sure if people understand the question...

I just think it all depends on the manner in which the scene unfolds. There is obviously an appropriate time for it as well as not. Once again its all in the writing as to how it is delivered.

Spidey should always fight and wise-crack. It's a major part of his character. He wise cracks because he himself is terrified and scared for his life, it calms his nerves and throws his opponent off so he can beat them.

I do agree though if someone's threatening someone's life though, Peter should be serious. Especially if it's someone like May/Gwen/MJ.

However he should never be as devoid of a personality as he was in Raimi's trilogy.

the question is a simple one

we all want spidey to wisecrack so take it a given he DOES wisecrack, the question is simply;

should spidey wisecrack regardless of the situation he is in even if that situation is serious with dire consequence?

No. There's a time and a place for him to shoot his mouth off... just like the comics.

TDK humor.

Spider-Man Imposter : "Whats the difference between you and me?"

Spider-Man : "Im not wearing suction cups".

the question is a simple one

we all want spidey to wisecrack so take it a given he DOES wisecrack, the question is simply;

should spidey wisecrack regardless of the situation he is in even if that situation is serious with dire consequence?

I think maybe some of us are having a knee jerk reaction when ever we see the word "quip" since we really didn't get any in the original three, or at least any good ones that weren't delivered all monotoned. I would rather have too much than the lifeless mute we had in the first films.

And I think there are ways to keep in line with his personality while still have him be serious and funny at the same time.

If the Green Goblin kills Gwen in these films should he quip right after? Of course not. Did he just save Gwen and is now fighting the villain. Sure.

Last edited:
if there is a inner monologue for new triliogy i.e. 'who am I? you really want to know?'

then if spidey is quiping throughout the movie and then is faced with *insert villian here* threatening to kill a loved one then good drama would be spidey thinking 'I really wanted to say something funny but I'm too scared' then when spidey doesn't utter a word for the climatic fight it wont be out of character.

if there is a inner monologue for new triliogy i.e. 'who am I? you really want to know?'

then if spidey is quiping throughout the movie and then is faced with *insert villian here* threatening to kill a loved one then good drama would be spidey thinking 'I really wanted to say something funny but I'm too scared' then when spidey doesn't utter a word for the climatic fight it wont be out of character.

I don't think that would fit the character, because he says the funny stuff to deal with his fear. I would say it would be more of a thought like, 'No funny quips occured to me there, because my mind was focused on the job.'

edit: Actually, it would be more along the lines of, 'My mind did not naturally go to the quips as it would have felt quite tasteless to start making jokes when Aunt May's life was in danger.'

As for interior monologues, I think Raimi dealt with those quite well without using a voice-over for certain things. A voice-over at the beginning or ending of a movie is very different from one popping up in the middle of a scene, which can seem like a lazy way of exposition or spoon-feeding the audience(like the original Blade Runner cut). Raimi used the flashback/dream of Uncle Ben to deal with Pete wresting with thoughts of quitting when he had no-one to confide in, and we got a little moment with Pete talking to himself that worked, just before that boring ass chocolate cake scene.

Last edited:
I don't think that would fit the character, because he says the funny stuff to deal with his fear. I would say it would be more of a thought like, 'No funny quips occured to me there, because my mind was focused on the job.'

edit: Actually, it would be more along the lines of, 'My mind did not naturally go to the quips as it would have felt quite tasteless to start making jokes when Aunt May's life was in danger.'

As for interior monologues, I think Raimi dealt with those quite well without using a voice-over for certain things. A voice-over at the beginning or ending of a movie is very different from one popping up in the middle of a scene, which can seem like a lazy way of exposition or spoon-feeding the audience(like the original Blade Runner cut). Raimi used the flashback/dream of Uncle Ben to deal with Pete wresting with thoughts of quitting when he had no-one to confide in, and we got a little moment with Pete talking to himself that worked, just before that boring ass chocolate cake scene.

the original blade runner monologue works (least for me) as is my favorite, the only thing I didn't like about it was them hitting over the head that rutger loved all life as he dies, well DUH we can see that!

inner monologue and the line 'this is my gift, my curse, who am I? I'm spider-man' sent a shiver down my spine. that's cameron's dialogue btw

When he's confident in a "dramatic" fight then he could use his wisecracks.

If Doc Ock is holding Gwen Stacy hostage, Spidey fights and acts seriously. No wisecracks.

Spidey saves Gwen from danger and he's beating the hell out of Ock, then he could quip all he wants. He got the girl out of danger, now he could be himself.

I love a line in the Mtv show when Spidey confronts the Lizard and says, "Hey, know where I could get some tail?" and the Lizard swipes at him with his tail. Good stuff.

His fear is one of the reasons he quips. The only reason he doesn't really quip in the comics ever is from anger or because he just lost a loved one, not fear. Although I'd love to see a part in the movie the villain says something like "Got nothing funny to say now do you web head!" or something like that.

Last edited:

I love how you went back and corrected this because Spider-Man has said that he can make quips while in the middle of a fight because of his speed and spider-sense. He says it feels like he has had hours to come up with the stuff, so he can keep his mind on the quips and let his instincts run the fight. To stray away from that is to take away a great part of the character, but I'm guessing you got that since you went back and edited it.

And the tasteless line just sounds like you injecting your own thoughts onto Spider-Man. The ONLY time he doesn't quip is when he's angry. Not because he's scared, and not because he thinks someone would hear him and he's worried about coming off as "tasteless." :whatever: The only time he stops quiping is if he's angry, or sad because someone just died or something. That's it.

So if Aunt May is in trouble (again!) then he should get angry. Not because he's worried about being tasteless.

I love how you went back and corrected this because Spider-Man has said that he can make quips while in the middle of a fight because of his speed and spider-sense. He says it feels like he has had hours to come up with the stuff, so he can keep his mind on the quips and let his instincts run the fight. To stray away from that is to take away a great part of the character, but I'm guessing you got that since you went back and edited it.

Well, not really, but a bit maybe, it was more that I worded it badly, like, 'mind on the job' was meant to convey, 'my mind was in a different place in that situation, not one conductive to quips. Due to the fear of actually seeing a loved one in danger right in front of me. edit: so, all my mind was focused on was getting them out of that situation.'

edit: but again, that doesn't exaclty cover it, and felt a bit off(maybe for the reasons you said to an extent) so I attempted to clarify or get it right this time, and failed at that too, lol, so I will attempt to explain the second attempt a little more clearly below...
And the tasteless line just sounds like you injecting your own thoughts onto Spider-Man. The ONLY time he doesn't quip is when he's angry. Not because he's scared, and not because he thinks someone would hear him and he's worried about coming off as "tasteless." :whatever: The only time he stops quiping is if he's angry, or sad because someone just died or something. That's it.

So if Aunt May is in trouble (again!) then he should get angry. Not because he's worried about being tasteless.

Ok, but again, it's just bad wording on my part. I didn't mean 'tasteless', as in, he would worry about someone overhearing him, lol. I just meant that he would have a natural state within himself when confronted with a loved one in danger right in front of him. 'Tasteless' was the best word I could think of to describe that feeling and mental place he would have that prevented his mind from going to his quip-box.
I agree with you that anger might play at part in that, but perhaps not, I would say it was more concern and worry not being conductive to joking around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"