The Dark Knight Wizard talks Batman sequal

Ronny Shade said:
THERE IS NO A IN SEQUEL DAMMIT!

Holy crap, GrammarBatman! That sure was loud!

Also, GrammarBatgirl already made note of that. :up:

-- GrammarRobin

Saint said:
Because Wizard movie news is ALWAYS one of the following: A) out of date, or B) entirely false.

a) no doubt about that
b) not necessarily. im certainly not saying theres any truth to this, because theres probably not. but i've seen a 100 times before reports of rumored actors for a role, 99% of which were obvious b.s. and came from sources with little to no credit, yet the messanger was never attacked. im jus wondering why theres suddenly a double standard when it comes to Wizard?

Batman said:
Indeed, that must have happend. I agree with Hoffman for Cobblepot (though I think Hoskins is the ideal choice), but imagining him as Harvey is something I can't see vividly. Wizard is mostly great for reading what's coming up in comics, along with interviews with certain writers and artists which is why I buy it. But when it comes to movie news, they're always one or two steps behind.
Bob Hoskins for Penguin? Niiiice. I think Hoffman would make a good Two-Face, but I grew up with the animated series first, the comic second. I've always thought of Two-Face as African-American. Laurence Fishburne as Two-Face? Hell yes!

Has anyone considered Jack Black for Penguin? Or would he be too energetic?
Also - Martin Short for the Mad Hatter. No other choice. None.

AnimeJune said:
Bob Hoskins for Penguin? Niiiice. I think Hoffman would make a good Two-Face, but I grew up with the animated series first, the comic second. I've always thought of Two-Face as African-American. Laurence Fishburne as Two-Face? Hell yes!

if you gonna make Two-Face character black which he isn't black in comics but if then I say go sign Denzel Washington as DA Harvey Dent in BB2 best man for the job!

Two Face said:
if you gonna make Two-Face character black which he isn't black in comics but if then I say go sign Denzel Washington as DA Harvey Dent in BB2 best man for the job!
Yeah, but when Batman started out, how many black people WERE in comics? In Two-Face's case (as it was in Kingpin's in DareDevil), the colour of his skin wasn't really integral to his character, unless he was a white supremacist or something of that sort. So I'd see no problem in making him a different race.

AnimeJune said:
Yeah, but when Batman started out, how many black people WERE in comics? In Two-Face's case (as it was in Kingpin's in DareDevil), the colour of his skin wasn't really integral to his character, unless he was a white supremacist or something of that sort. So I'd see no problem in making him a different race.

Did I say I had problems of black actors playing in a Batman movie? No. If Nolan gets black actor to play then it has to be Denzel Washington as Dent I was just saying.

AnimeJune said:

Harvey was black in Batman '89 - he was portrayed by Billy Dee Williams, once and always true pimp. :up:

I always felt that it was a missed opportunity that they never took Billy Dee's Dent to the point of being Two-Face. Billy Dee would have been an awesome Two-Face, far better than Tommy Lee Jones. I love Tommy Lee Jones, but not as Harvey Dent / Two-Face.

Billy Dee is obviously handsome and a smooth operator, but he also has a dark side, and he can carry off menace extremely well. He would have been a perfect Two-Face.

That ship has, of course, sailed. But I'll always wonder what might have been.

AnimeJune said:

Yes. Like I said in my post before, Hoskins would be the ideal choice. Though it wasn't clear what he was saying "no" too in his interview a couple of months back, whether it was the sequel in particular or the role of Penguin in general. I'd hope that he comes back, or we start hearing about his participation again. If not, Hoffman would be fine by me.

I have nothing toward Harvey being black, he was in the '89 film which again was greatly done even if he didn't have that many scenes. I like the choice of Washington, but I have a feeling with the way everyone wants Dent to be potrayed in the sequel, Nolan will stick to the characters original roots. Either way, I'd be fine with. As long as it's done right.

AnimeJune said:

I think when the rumor hit of Black possibly determined to lose weight for the role of Joker, some people were a bit upset with it that they suggested him for Penguin instead. Martin Short for Mad Hatter, wouldn't be bad at all.

Dent has to be white, because Liev Schreiber is white. I mean, I guess if Schreiber was black, then Dent could be black, but he's not. Schrebier for Dent, damnit!

As for Billy Dee, I hate that he was shafted out of playing Two-Face. Not only would he have made a great Two-Face, but the consistancy alone would've helped the tragedy of the character. With the cast change, most casual movie-goers would likely not even realize they were the same character, therefore there was no setup of the character Harvey before his transformation. If they'd have used Williams, then people could've gone back to B89 and noticed the same character and though "oh, it sucks what happens to this guy, he seems pretty cool". They sure did screw up on that one...

Cinemaman said:
I think Dent should be white man as he was in comics.
:batman: GrammarBatGirl Translation: "I believe Dent should be Caucasian, so as to corrolate with the graphic novel version."

AnimeJune: :down
BatRacist: :up: - I mean, honestly - WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? None! His appearance is important, yes - with half of a ravaged face. But does skin colour make a difference? No. In some cases, I think we have to be colourblind. Unless it screws up his backstory, I say race doesn't matter. By all means, if Dent, for instance, grew up in Southern comfort on a refurbished plantation with wealth and priviledge, then making him a man of colour would be an unrealistic change. But with his backstory now, what difference would it make?

The different that he would not look EXACTLY like he does in the comics? What human being alive today looks EXACTLY like Harvey Dent? No one. Comics aren't necessarily drawn with realism in mind - not all women have gigantic busoms and tiny waists, but can still manage to lift a truck into the air without breaking their spines.

AnimeJune said:
What human being alive today looks EXACTLY like Harvey Dent?
Lievschreiber.jpg

- not all women have gigantic busoms and tiny waists, but can still manage to lift a truck into the air without breaking their spines.

But they should...

Katsuro said:
Lievschreiber.jpg

But they should...
Ah, 100% Cotton.

Yes, they should, Katsuro. Fewer would drown. But the world just isn't that way. Liev could do it, I'm not saying he can't - I've seen him in "The Manchurian Candidate". I just prefer Larry Fishburne.

AnimeJune said:
I mean, honestly - WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE? None! His appearance is important, yes - with half of a ravaged face. But does skin colour make a difference? No. In some cases, I think we have to be colourblind. Unless it screws up his backstory, I say race doesn't matter. By all means, if Dent, for instance, grew up in Southern comfort on a refurbished plantation with wealth and priviledge, then making him a man of colour would be an unrealistic change. But with his backstory now, what difference would it make?
That's the only reason I take issue with ANTHONYNASTI's casting of Denzel Washington as DKR Batman. It conflicts with the idea that the Waynes are an "old money" family. As we get more and more towards the future this will be less and less of an issue, but for now, it kinda still is.

TAS Harvey was kinda like TAS Lex Luthor. They were in-between races. Could've been either.

The Flash! said:
Yeah same here, and by the way Rufus Sewell for Dent!! :) :up:

Rufus Sewell would be make a great candidate for Dent, only thing is that his name has yet to be brought up for the role like Schrieber's or Lucas'. His name has mainly been a fan based choice. And yes, if Dent is true to his comic counterpart in the sequel the so be it. But as I've said before, if Nolan wants to revisit that version of the character in '89, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Though I'm sure he'll remain his current race...

I'm positive Dent will be white. All the rumored contenders have been white.

Ronny Shade said:
That's the only reason I take issue with ANTHONYNASTI's casting of Denzel Washington as DKR Batman. It conflicts with the idea that the Waynes are an "old money" family. As we get more and more towards the future this will be less and less of an issue, but for now, it kinda still is.

TAS Harvey was kinda like TAS Lex Luthor. They were in-between races. Could've been either.
An excellent point. And I'm also more or less certain that Two Face will be played by a white actor, for exactly your reasons - all the contenders are white. I'm just saying they shouldn't eliminate black actors from the running.

AnimeJune said:
Ah, 100% Cotton.

Yes, they should, Katsuro. Fewer would drown. But the world just isn't that way. Liev could do it, I'm not saying he can't - I've seen him in "The Manchurian Candidate". I just prefer Larry Fishburne.

No, offense, but I would not want Larry Fishburne in the role. Not because he is black, but because he is ugly as sin. Harvey needs to be an attractive man.

AnimeJune said:
An excellent point. And I'm also more or less certain that Two Face will be played by a white actor, for exactly your reasons - all the contenders are white. I'm just saying they shouldn't eliminate black actors from the running.

Agreed. I've said it before but honestly, for me, Billy Dee Williams was the best casting choice for Harvey Dent EVER, black, white, or otherwise... but I can't think of any other black actor right now, honestly, whom I like as much for the role. I mean if they cast a black man as Harvey, it's gotta be because he would totally own the role - the way Michael Clarke Duncan was the best possible choice for Kingpin (and he was, let's be honest).

As much as I like Laurence Fishburne, and Denzel Washington, I can't really see either of them as Harvey Dent. Denzel would be better than Fishburne, though. But whomever plays Harvey needs to be a REALLY smooth operator.

Keyser Sushi said:
Agreed. I've said it before but honestly, for me, Billy Dee Williams was the best casting choice for Harvey Dent EVER, black, white, or otherwise... but I can't think of any other black actor right now, honestly, whom I like as much for the role. I mean if they cast a black man as Harvey, it's gotta be because he would totally own the role - the way Michael Clarke Duncan was the best possible choice for Kingpin (and he was, let's be honest).

As much as I like Laurence Fishburne, and Denzel Washington, I can't really see either of them as Harvey Dent. Denzel would be better than Fishburne, though. But whomever plays Harvey needs to be a REALLY smooth operator.
Fair enough - he IS supposed to be a very talented attorney before he goes bonkers. Tommy Lee Jones, bless his wrinkled little heart, was pure baked ham as Two-Face, with his origin being given a two-second mention on a television show. He was fun to watch, certainly, but Two-Face could have been done a whole lot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"