Woman perpetrates hate crime on herself

kaypain

Sidekick
Reaction score
Link

WINNSBORO, LA (KSLA) -
New details are emerging surrounding the critical injury of a Winnsboro woman set on fire in a city park on Sunday night.

20-year-old Sharmeka Moffitt is in critical condition at LSU Medical Center in Shreveport. Her mother, Edna Moffitt, says surgery is scheduled for tomorrow. "Both of her arms, and they are third degree burns, down her chest and legs - one. Basically her arms are real bad." Edna Moffitt also confirms her daughter was not wearing an Obama t-shirt, as initial rumors on social media had indicated.

At a news conference held just before Noon Monday, authorities confirmed Moffitt called 911 around 8 p.m. Sunday from Civitan Park, telling them she had been attacked and burned by three men in white hoodies. They say she was unable to identify her attackers. Franklin Parish Sheriff Kevin Cobb confirms that "KKK" was spray-painted on the hood of her car, with a racial slur underneath.

At this point, police are not classifying the incident as a hate crime, but FBI agents are there investigating the possibility. Agents are there in addition to Louisiana State Police and local law enforcement, the State Fire Marshal's Office and the Franklin Parish Sheriff's Department.

Winnsboro Police say they will be tightening security at the park as a result of the incident.

"This is a horrific event for our community," says Franklin Parish Sheriff Kevin Cobb. "It makes everyone uneasy. It is our hope that everyone stands together at this time, and follow the information that is gathered, follow the facts, follow the evidence and hopefully that will lead us to justice in this case." He went on to tell KSLA News 12 that they have no information to lead them directly to any individual suspects at this point, but he says they are following all avenues.

The story went viral Sunday evening on Twitter and Facebook. Many of the posts speculated the attack was a hate crime. However, the sheriff's office has also confirmed with KSLA News 12 that Moffitt was not wearing a President Obama t-shirt, despite claims on social media that the t-shirt is what provoked the attack.

Family and friends are planning a candlelight vigil for Sharmeka Moffitt. It's set for Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m. at Civitan Park.

Investigating rather or not it was a Hate Crime? Of course it was a Hate Crime. Wearing White Hoodies and spraying KKK on her car isn't enough evidence to suggest that? Clearly an act motivated by hate.

Why do people feel the need to be this disgusting to others?

it's organizations like the KKK that make me wish that the punisher existed.

I'd like to look the perps in the face and ask them, "why?"

Who cares if its a hate crime!!! It was a disgusting crime against another human being. I dont care if she was black white tan green or purple or what their skin color was. It is a ****ing crime regardless. Stop wasting time determining if it was a hate crime and hunt those sick ****s down and beat the ever living **** out of them and then drag their sorry asses off the jail.

Who cares if its a hate crime!!! It was a disgusting crime against another human being. I dont care if she was black white tan green or purple or what their skin color was. It is a ****ing crime regardless. Stop wasting time determining if it was a hate crime and hunt those sick ****s down and beat the ever living **** out of them and then drag their sorry asses off the jail.

True story.

Sorry but spraying KKK on her hood and writing racial slurs in the act of something like that shouldn't be ignored. You ask who cares, a lot of angry black people

Sorry but spraying KKK on her hood and writing racial slurs in the act of something like that shouldn't be ignored. You ask who cares, a lot of angry black people

Its still a crime. If a black man does it to a black man or a white man does it to a white man or if an asian does it to an asian or if they all do it to one another it is still a crime. Treat it as a crime. Stop trying to give it a special label and just treat it as a crime. All assaults are predicated by some hate or anger. If i go beat a homosexual to death because i dont like his attitude they label it as a hate crime. If i beat a straight man to death because i dont like his attitude it is a crime. Does one crime have less hate than the other? Is one act any less worse than the other? Nope. Either way someone died because of my hatred. Its all crime.

This girl had an awful inhuman act committed upon her. I dont care what the motive was. I dont care if it was white on black, black on black, or ****ing purple barney on yellow big bird. There is no excuse for this. Stop wasting time on whether it was a hate crime. Of course it was a crime of hate. Any act such as this is a crime of hate regardless of skin color.

Link

Investigating rather or not it was a Hate Crime? Of course it was a Hate Crime. Wearing White Hoodies and spraying KKK on her car isn't enough evidence to suggest that? Clearly an act motivated by hate.

I don't understand why it matters whether or not it's classified as a "hate crime." Human garbage burned a you woman nearly to death. I don't give a **** why they did it, they just need to pay for it.

Its still a crime. If a black man does it to a black man or a white man does it to a white man or if an asian does it to an asian or if they all do it to one another it is still a crime. Treat it as a crime. Stop trying to give it a special label and just treat it as a crime. All assaults are predicated by some hate or anger. If i go beat a homosexual to death because i dont like his attitude they label it as a hate crime. If i beat a straight man to death because i dont like us attitude it is a crime. Does one crime have less hate than the other? Is one act any less worse than the other? Nope. Either way someone died because of my hatred. Its all crime.

This girl had an awful inhuman act committed upon her. I dont care what the motive was. I dont care if it was white on black, black on black, or ****ing purple barney on yellow big bird. There is no excuse for this. Stop wasting time on whether it was a hate crime. Of course it was a crime of hate. Any act such as this is a crime of hate regardless of skin color.
I agree with you to an extent. But it doesn't change the thousands of angry black people out there. Like

I said its icing on the cake. And I think its significant enough giving the fact we got an election coming up and a lot racist punks who hate Obama are out there probably looking for other victims. Its significant enough to give us black people a sense of caution, for there may many more attacks similiar to this to come. Its very important we find out the motive, so we can prevent this from happening again.

For now on everywhere I go on foot I'm going to be overly cautious and watch my back and I'm taking my registered firearm with. This **** is serious.

Last edited:
while true it was a crime of hate what i have noticed most time a crime that involves setting someone on fire happens it always happens to a black person and is always driven by the hate of their skin

The scumbags that perpetrated this need to be brought to justice to the fullest extent of the law. I'd definitely be in favor of capital punishment for these cowards.

So turns out she did this to herself.

UPDATE: 6:19 p.m. -- The News Star reported Tuesday afternoon that police now believe Moffitt's story about being attacked was fabricated. Police now believe that she wrote "KKK" and "n---er" on her car and lit herself on fire.
The Franklin Sun reports that Moffitt's fingerprints were found on the cigarette lighter and lighter fluid recovered in the wooded area near the crime scene. The writings on the car, written in toothpaste, were linked to female DNA.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...tack-_n_2005232.html?1351030571&ncid=webmail1

Now that's some ****** up ****.

This actually changes nothing in terms of hate crimes or any discrimination still going on. Because it still does happen even in this day and age. Just not with this case. Let's not act like it's some kind of shocking eye opener, and that this women represents an entire race.

And if true, she's indeed a nut and needs to be locked up for a very long time in a padded room. I'm just glad that no innocent people fitting a possible description of her supposed attackers(if they were given) suffered from this lie.

Lastly, everyone that posted in this topic were more than within their right to show support. If race were thrown out of the window, and this woman had claimed she was attacked by some random citizen with no mention of the KKK, we'd all have the same reaction. Would we feel foolish then? Of course not. It was the logical and right response, and none of you in this thread should feel bad at all for reacting the way that you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"