Woman sues Best Buy for 54 mil after they lose her laptop

^And that's not important?

Well, say you had a laptop you took in to be repaired. And you had some confidential info, either school related or work related. And they lost that bastard. What would you say? If it's some mom and pop, you probably are just going to ask for them to replace it. But a Best Buy....yeah, while it's obvious, you will consider bleeding them out a little since they can afford it.

I'd just settle for a {triple digit, higher than 200} dollar gift card and some other stuff outside of court honestly. Unless I had something sentimental on the laptop. Which, me personally I dont think I would. But never know.

My god, I'd be curled up in the fetal position if my laptop was lost. :(

i could see her getting a few million, if she had things that couldn't be replaced, like family photos, home movies, and other sentimental things like that, along with the whole 'identity theft' issue... but 54 million? that's just outright stupid.

Dumb ***** should have made back up files.

Sue yes, but she won't win 54 million.

i could see her getting a few million, if she had things that couldn't be replaced, like family photos, home movies, and other sentimental things like that, along with the whole 'identity theft' issue... but 54 million? that's just outright stupid.
That's what CD/DVDr's are for ....

With identity theft, she's got a case there. But a 54 mil case? Sincerely doubtful.

Only nerds know enough to backup their computers. :o

:cmad:

:(

but I hope she gets something. If she's going through all this effort just because Best Buy practically ignored her...then more power to her. Its a lesson in customer service.

Best Buy lost her computer. Therefore, Best Buy legally owes for what the computer is worth as a piece of equipment (they've offered a pay a lower value because it's evidently not a new computer, which is legal and fair), and what they're willing to give her customer service wise...which appears to be what the computer is worth (I.E, nothing). I like how they tried to make her buy part of another computer there via giving her a gift card. Classic.

If she did have sensitive financially affecting files, etc...in order to be compensated for the loss of those things, she first has to prove she has these things on her computer. And then she has to prove they have some intrinsic value. And good luck with that. Now, should she be legally entitled to something because Best Buy didn't do what they are legally obligated to do? Yes, but it won't be anywhere close to making her a rich woman. By filing for such a ridiculous amount, she has made herself a target and better hope she doesn't draw a court system that frowns on frivolous lawsuits.

She should have just gone to the Better Business Bureau.

Only nerds know enough to backup their computers. :o

Because you need a doctorate to read that weekly syndicated computer help column in the newspaper, or be a hacker with skills rivaling Kevin Mitnick to use the Google to find computer help sites and various messageboards regarding computers that recommend backing up your hard drive.

And if you want to read PC magazines in bookstores or at the grocery store, you better have your degrees from Caltech or MIT printed out in hexadecimal :dry:

Back up your critical documents and files if you don't want to lose them. Especially if you're going to have to take your system to a shop for service like that. Duh. She gets no sympathy from me on that issue. However, the potential identity theft angle is intriguing and not an entirely invalid issue to raise from a legal aspect. The $54M is excessive but it's also intended to make a point about the risk that she's been put at if her identity were to be stolen as a result of Best Buy's negligence. It'll be interesting to see what comes of this. She definitely doesn't deserve that much money by any means, but if it raises visibility to the dangers of identify theft then it could be a good thing if it forces businesses to revisit their processes to build in preventative measures to protect the identities of their customers.

jag

Best Buy lost her computer. Therefore, Best Buy legally owes for what the computer is worth as a piece of equipment (they've offered a pay a lower value because it's evidently not a new computer, which is legal and fair), and what they're willing to give her customer service wise...which appears to be what the computer is worth (I.E, nothing). I like how they tried to make her buy part of another computer there via giving her a gift card. Classic.

If she did have sensitive financially affecting files, etc...in order to be compensated for the loss of those things, she first has to prove she has these things on her computer. And then she has to prove they have some intrinsic value. And good luck with that. Now, should she be legally entitled to something because Best Buy didn't do what they are legally obligated to do? Yes, but it won't be anywhere close to making her a rich woman. By filing for such a ridiculous amount, she has made herself a target and better hope she doesn't draw a court system that frowns on frivolous lawsuits.

She should have just gone to the Better Business Bureau.

I saw a video about this and the woman said she's already been given the full amount of the computer and offered a $500 gift card and an additional $2,500, I think she said she turned those down so she could go ahead with her lawsuit. On the subject of ID theft, what's really the chance that a hacker or someone who knows how to pull off ID theft has that computer? Especially since nothing has happened yet, it's been a year, what's this person waiting for, now she's on the news, they blew their chance to steal her ID.

I saw a video about this and the woman said she's already been given the full amount of the computer and offered a $500 gift card and an additional $2,500, I think she said she turned those down so she could go ahead with her lawsuit. On the subject of ID theft, what's really the chance that a hacker or someone who knows how to pull off ID theft has that computer? Especially since nothing has happened yet, it's been a year, what's this person waiting for, now she's on the news, they blew their chance to steal her ID.

She's basically just making herself a target at this point. One hopes she foolishly spends retention fees and gets nothing in return but what she's owed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"